14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 7:01 AM by marc.horsform

RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1

jeff-7117 Level 1

I just upgraded to El Capitan (10.11.1) and I noticed a playback difference during RAM previews.  The comp frame rate I am working in currently is 23.976.  Normally, once RAM previews get up to "real time" playback has been just like it used to be in older versions of AE.  Now under 10.11, when the timeline indicator is drawing across the timeline during a RAM preview it definitely slows down the playback on screen. If I use the tilde key to maximize the comp window, basically soloing the footage during RAM previews, playback is super smooth, just like it was in 10.10.  When AE has to draw the timeline indicator during RAM previews, it seems to have an effect on smooth and accurate playback in El Capitan.

Is anyone else running into this issue?

System specs:

Mac Pro 5,1

OSX 10.11.1

GTX 680 Mac version (web driver 346.03.03f01)

After Effects 13.5.1.48

• 1. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
          jeff-7117 Level 1

Just an update to this:

I have tested various graphics cards with the same results (GTX 780, 980, 980ti). I can move the timeline DOWN where the Current Time Indicator is barely showing on screen, and UI playback of the comp window improves dramatically.  This looks like a performance issue with OSX El Capitan even though it was declared "ready for El Capitan" by Adobe.

• 2. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
            CHutchGargrazz

I'm having slow preview problems as well that didn't exist before El Capitan update.  Same specs as the OP.

• 3. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
              Moville Level 1

I've the same problem. Opened also a topic: Preview not realime - Adobe After Effects CC2015 - El Capitan 10.11.1

I am curious if you're using Video Preview as well.

• 4. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                jeff-7117 Level 1

Unfortunately, I am not using video preview at this time.  I think this is definitely a UI issue with the timeline bar and CTI (current time indicator).  If I minimize the timeline either by removing it or dragging it to the bottom of the screen where the CTI is barely visible, RAM previews are more accurate.  In my situation, the Preview panel always says "real time" but it most definitely is NOT "real time" if the CTI takes up any normal amount of space on the screen.

If I RAM preview with a normal layout like this, I get very noticeable strobing (NOT SMOOTH MOTION) during playback. **Preview Panel Says Realtime**

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 7.03.29 AM.png

If I RAM preview with the timeline minimized like this, I get NO strobing during playback and the Comp window looks normal. **Preview Panel Says Realtime**

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 7.03.37 AM.png

If I RAM preview with NO TIMELINE, everything looks normal during playback. **Preview Panel Says Realtime**

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 7.03.45 AM.png

I will add that this current issue really makes it difficult to work with imported footage in any frame rate.  Playback looks like I removed frames from the footage.

• 5. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                  Moville Level 1

I have exactly the same.. Playback looks normal if preview it in fullscreen/~-key, but I've also the video preview and not realtime problem like I described in my post.

• 6. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                    jeff-7117 Level 1

Does anyone from Adobe care to comment on this?  I hope this wasn't the case, but it looks like this wasn't fully tested on Apple products.  Will this be resolved in a future update or is this an Apple / El Capitan problem?

• 7. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                      mattw32795385

Same issues here. Updated to 10.11.1, opened the same project I'd been working on, will not preview in real time. In 1080p 24. I've not gotten a stutter without the performance indicators showing the slow frame rate however. I can have an entire comp ready in RAM and it will play for about 2 sec clean then drop to around 16 FPS. Tilde works for me too.

I was just on with support chat and they suggested running in 50% size and half res for preview. I was already there. Dropped to quarter res and it played back well. It is usable in third res as well. Maybe it's a decent workaround.

Actually, I just changed the res to full and it plays back in realtime. Maybe toggling the res back and forth fixes it?

• 8. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                        mattw32795385 Level 1

Okay, I did a little testing.

First, there is also an issue with the video preview. So, turn that off and restart the software.

On a fresh boot of AE I can change the preview res and it cleans up the playback. Once frames are in RAM it plays back at full res in realtime for me. So give that a shot.

If I turn on the Mercury Playback engine for video preview on my secondary monitor it gets super choppy again. It won't clean up until I restart AE.

Support says they are working on the issue and it will be addressed in the next update. Preview and the Mercury Playback. No ETA on the update however.

• 9. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                          jeff-7117 Level 1

I'm not using Mercury Playback for external monitors or 3D acceleration.

The only way I can get the playback to look normal is to maximize the comp window or reduce the timeline dramatically as posted in the screenshots above.  The strobe is very subtle, but it is visible.

In my testing, it doesn't matter what resolution I use.  As long as the CTI and timeline have a decent amount of screen real estate during playback the footage has a definite strobe.

I have also tested this on a PC (i7 5820K, GTX 970, same version of AE, Windows 8.1) and RAM previews play back fine at any resolution.

• 10. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                            Moville Level 1

I have the same issue. Thank you for reporting the issue.

• 11. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                              Moville Level 1

I am back at Yosemite with AE CC2015 thanks to Time Machine. No problems at all. I will wait a few weeks before upgrading to El Capitan again.

• 12. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                                mylesrobinette

I'm having the exact same issue (choppy preview playback) and also found that the only way to fix it is to full-screen the comp window. Very annoying and hope it is fixed soon.

• 13. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                                  elbagly Level 1

I'm stuck with this bug...

IMac 27 late2015 AE CC2015 same issue and no way to install Yosemite.

• 14. Re: RAM preview stutter in OSX 10.11.1
                                    marc.horsform Level 1

Same problem here on two iMacs 27" (brand new) and a MacBook Pro 15", all three running El Capitan.