5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 7:53 AM by A.T. Romano

open add media folder and a few seconds it closes

mike63ryan

When I open Add Media, I select my libraries-video and then Premier Elements closes. Sometimes within a few seconds or when I select the video I want.

It just closes without no warning. What would started this? Never had this problem before.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: open add media folder and a few seconds it closes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mike63ryan

What version of Premiere Elements, what operating system?

Please confirm that what you are referring to to whole program shutdown when you Add Media/presumed from Files and Folders. You are not talking about the opening and closing of Project Assets after you drag a file from there to the Timeline - if you are using Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, 13/13.1, or 14 Expert view? Do you ever get a far as actually getting into the Expert or Quick workspace? Are you still in the Add Media dialog in Look In area when the program shutdown?

Major first question - what are the properties of the files that you are trying to import into the project? And, is the shutdown (if that is the case) associated exclusively with this one particular format or to any file that you want to import from jpeg to some movie file format?

The usual questions...

1. Does the problem occur with or without antivirus and firewalls disabled?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements? And, are you running the programs as administrator?

3. Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacture of the card?

Let us start here and then decide on troubleshooting strategy based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: open add media folder and a few seconds it closes
            mike63ryan Level 1

I'm using windows 7 and I have premier elements 11. I open premier elements, add media from my laptop, libraries, videos, and select my mpeg file. It would either close premier elements right away, or wait till after it imports it and I drag it to the timeline. Then within a few seconds it would close. I'm using it in expert, not quick view. Restarting the computer didn't help.     Now today I didn't have that problem. I was able to open, import and save the file, but I got a media encoding error. So know I have to start over with the saving.   I get that error sometimes, not every time, it gets annoying!!!

I have avg pro for antivirus.
            Quick time 7 is up to date.
            Windows says I have no updates.

• 3. Re: open add media folder and a few seconds it closes
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mike63ryan

Thanks for the additional information.

Before you start the new project, import, edit, and export, let us go over the deeper details of what you are about to do.

Have you gone through all the mentions in post 1? Assuming yes and none impacted the issue...

1. What is the project preset that you manually or the project automatically are setting to match the properties of the files that you are importing?

See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, and tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

2. Where are these mpeg files coming from....are they MPEG2.mpg, high definition or standard definition, or some other format?

3. What is your export route and details.

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with what preset?

Do you use the default settings for the preset or do you go under the Advanced Button of the preset and customize the Video and Audio Tab settings?

Where in this process did you get a "media encoding error" and at what point in the encoding?

At the bottom of the export settings, what is shown for duration of the export and estimated file size?

Do you have QuickTime 7.7.8 installed or some other version of QuickTime?

Have you picked up on anything different that you did today that you did not do yesterday?

Please consider. And then we will follow up on this in the morning.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: open add media folder and a few seconds it closes
                mike63ryan Level 1

The edit mode is avchd 720p square pixel, timebase 29.97 frames/second, frame size 1280 horizontal 720 vertical, pixel aspect ratio square pixels 1.0 .  All of that was grayed out except for the frame size.

The files imported are mpg. HD720.

I export to the desktop at the ntsc dvd standard.

The error will show up at 95% saved? Maybe 99%?

Not sure of the duration and file size.

Quicktime ver. 7.7.80

Today premier elements work just fine.

Why,,,,, I don't know.

• 5. Re: open add media folder and a few seconds it closes
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mike63ryan

Thanks for the follow up, especially the news "Today premier elements work just fine".

Why, today.

The flaw that I see in your description of the issue relates to the choice of burn to disc preset.

If you have a 720p project preset (project settings) and a 720p source on the Timeline, then you should have  a 16:9 end product.

You should not be taking the 16:9 project to a 4:3 end product. You did that by selecting the burn to disc preset as NTSC Dolby DVD instead of NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

If you set for  720p project settings which are 16:9 , typically the project automatically sets that burn to disc preset at NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD 16:9. Under those circumstances, I do not understand how that burn to disc preset got to NTSC Dolby DVD 4:3.

You might want to check out that factor.

But, great news all is working.

Please update us on this matter if any further developments as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR