5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 3:21 PM by Peter Villevoye

IP Address of Publish Online Server

Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

One of my students is working behind a firewall, and can't let InDesign freely access the Adobe server, needed to publish their ePub 3.0 FXL online. Does anyone know what this server address actually is, so they can set their firewall to grant access ?

• 1. Re: IP Address of Publish Online Server
          Yves Apel Level 2

Hi Peter,

Publish online is NO ePub 3.0 fxl. They are based on the same technology and basically, they actually have 90% of the same markup. It are two different publications and publication channels. The one has nothing to do with the other one.

Sorry that I want to stick on this. Unfortunately, the different types of multi-channel publishing are already complicated enough to explain as trainer. And if the people read this here, they will think that publish online will be the same as fxl epub. But they aren't.

• 2. Re: IP Address of Publish Online Server
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to InDesign forum for reasons already pointed out.

• 3. Re: IP Address of Publish Online Server

Thanks for being more precise in this matter.

I know they're different, but these output formats are often presented in tandem, so it feels as if you're publishing the ePub online as well. I only hope Adobe and the InDesign and ADE teams will strive to keep the same experience for both publication formats (apart from seriously required bug fixing on several platforms...)

• 4. Re: IP Address of Publish Online Server
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Good suggestion, Peter. However, keep in mind that they can't be exactly the same because (1) EPUB has to follow a standard so Publish Online may be able to do things which aren't yet supported in the EPUB standard. (2) Also, EPUB is interpreted by different EPUB readers, and as anyone who has created EPUB files know, somethings files have to be tweaked for different devices.

• 5. Re: IP Address of Publish Online Server

Many companies have been developing software that creates and reads ePubs (version 2) and most of them have been able to comply with the IDPF standard, and get their files validated.

Now ePub 3.0 FXL is a completely different beast.

If it hadn't been for Apple and Adobe not to follow the exact standard, ePub 3 FXL would still be a dwindling idea, zombying hopelessly between a myriad of creators and readers. So I don't mind Apple iBooks and Adobe ADE having hijacked the standard (Apple 5 years ago already, and Adobe since last year), to get this ePub 3 FXL ball rolling. If it wasn't for them, we'd still be glorifying DPS and other software to create some whimsical apps and file formats, lasting not much longer than 2 or 3 system upgrades. (Only Twixl would be worth more attention.)

So I truly think both the creators and readers of any kind of eBook just don't care.

As long as the file format(s) can be read on obvious platforms, the output looks right, and the reader software offers the same experience, I don't care anymore about some standard being followed or not. I'll put my money on the proprietary adaptations, and hope they'll become the standard. Just like Netscape kicked the web in many right directions.

Come on Adobe, give us a decent carrier for interactive publications, you can do it !

But I digress...