10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 6:47 AM by Peter Spier

Rename link within Indesign

rossg66603674

Can anyone help. I have inherited a catalogue that has 1000s of products. Each product has its own image. These images are called allsorts of names - suppliers descriptions, suppliers part numbers, our descriptions, any old reference. This means finding or updating an image is really difficult. I am currently selecting each link, going to the link (to identify our part number), editing with Photoshop and saving with the items part number. Then relinking the image with the new name. The result is two images. I will then have to go through and delete all the old images. Is there a way to rename the link within In Design? The result being the same!

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Rename link within Indesign
          rossg66603674 Level 1

I am an amateur user of InDesign, so if someone reads this and is an expert user but does not know of a way to do this, can you let me know that it is probably not possible. I need to crack on with this, but the prospect of 1 months work is not pleasant and am holding out for a quicker answer. If this answer is doubtful, I would be grateful to someone letting me know, then I can get some coffee down me and plod on!!!!

• 2. Re: Rename link within Indesign
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not possible, as far as I know.

• 3. Re: Rename link within Indesign
              rossg66603674 Level 1

Thanks. Not what I wanted, but what I thought!!!!

• 4. Re: Rename link within Indesign
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’m going to guess this can be scripted. Check in the scripting forum.

• 5. Re: Rename link within Indesign
                  winterm Level 4

Marian Tompa's (Tomaxxi) script Link Rename claims it does exactly that - renames links from within InDesign.

Unfortunately, http://tomaxxi.com/ seems dead right now...

Also, Kasyan Servetsky wrote a script (rather long ago) to rename placed artwork:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/533319

it renames all images in a batch, may be not what you want..

Did you try to google 'rename link from within Indesign' or something similar?

• 6. Re: Rename link within Indesign

My guess is it's scriptable, but not in any useful way that would eliminate the user having to enter each new name, so I'm not sure what it would save other than the time to open in Photoshop to rename. Certainly won't hurt to ask, though.

InDesign Scripting

• 7. Re: Rename link within Indesign
                      TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not clear from your description how the old and new images are correlated.

Are the old and the new in fact the same image, just with a different file name?

Or, if they are different images, is there any connection between the old name and the new?

If the images are different, and file names are different, then I guess the best you can do is create an Excel table with 2 columns, the first column containing the old path to the link, and the second column the path to the new link. Then a script could easily work its way though the list.

However, if there is some correlation between the old links and the new, whether image data, or file name, the whole thing could probably be scripted.

• 8. Re: Rename link within Indesign
                        rossg66603674 Level 1

The trouble is that suppliers provide an image and we just save it to our image folder. Then link that image. We then have images called all sorts. I'm trying to sort that out. So when something changes we over-write the file and InDesign updates the image. But they're called "new wash brush" or "big blue wash brush" or simply "386490". I need to call it "our part number". It seems a common problem and InDesign should have a function that right clicks in the links panel to rename the image. Different factories and different manufacturers supply images in different ways. It would be straight forward if the image was called the name or number that it was ordered by, I could then run a report that created an excel table with the file name and our part number and a script could "work it's way through the list".

Thanks for all your help. I think I know what I need to do, but will need my IT department to enable scripting or if I can find the Tomaxxi Link Rename, get them to add this plug in.

• 9. Re: Rename link within Indesign
                          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but will need my IT department to enable scripting

Scripting is already enabled. There's no way to disable it in InDesign.

• 10. Re: Rename link within Indesign

You said you need to open each file to learn the correct part number. If that's really the case, how are you going to fill out the spreadsheet any faster?

I honestly think you are just going to have to work through the files as you have been, and start a new policy of renaming them as they come in. Once it's done, it will take care of itself.