2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 6:47 AM by jkustan1

Override video "preloader" in iOS (iPhone)?

jkustan1

Hello everyone!

I'm relatively new to Adobe Edge and javascript so bear with me.

I've created composition that includes a video "slideshow" where users can navigate through a series of short videos (mp4s).  It works great on desktop and on Android devices - however when tested on the iPhone browser the videos are entirely obscured by a big "play" button, and the playback features I created don't function, making the video basically useless.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered any workarounds for video playback on iPhones, or can at least tell me why this happens, because I cant seem to find much information.

Thank you so much!

• 1. Re: Override video "preloader" in iOS (iPhone)?
          joel_pau Level 5

Apple choices are described here:

1) Audio and Video HTML. This page provides a link: 2)

2) iOS-Specific Considerations

I quote:

" In Safari on iOS (for all devices, including iPad), where the user may be on a cellular network and be charged per data unit, preload and autoplay are disabled. No data is loaded until the user initiates it."

• 2. Re: Override video "preloader" in iOS (iPhone)?
            jkustan1 Level 1

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your reply!  I dont know if this is an autoplay issue, as I have buttons for "play"- the videos seem to play fine on iPad as well (minor glitches related to no preloading, ie lag, but the videos play fine.)  I'm believe what I'm specifically askign about is this (quoted from your link):

On iPhone and iPod touch, a placeholder with a play button is shown until the user initiates playback, as shown in Figure 2-1. The placeholder is translucent, so the background or any poster image shows through. The placeholder provides a way for the user to play the media. If the iOS device cannot play the specified media, there is a diagonal bar through the control, indicating that it cannot play.

Like I said, I may just be too new to this to parse your answer... I'm asking if theres is a way to avoid getting this preloader, and to override the player controls that appear while the video is playing (the play, pause, etc buttons.)

It looks like they shouldn't appear automatically unless I set a boolean, but I have not done this, unless Edge does this by default?