7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 5:45 AM by dj_paige

corrupted files appreaing in LR4 - please advise!

orith91246980

I have LR4. I'm having a problem when importing images into LR. Some of the images have colorful lines going through tem as if they are corrupted files. Thsi doesn not appear on the original CR2 files. Only when they are opened in LR. Please help!

• 1. Re: corrupted files appreaing in LR4 - please advise!
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi orith,

What is the file type on which you are getting the lines?

Which operating system are you using?

Could you please post screenshot?

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: corrupted files appreaing in LR4 - please advise!
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you using the judge that the corruption isn't in the original CR2 files?

What is likely happening, and a screenshot would help understand more, is that the raw data is corrupted in the CR2 files but the camera-embedded JPG near the beginning of each CR2 file is ok, and whatever software you're using to view the CR2 files outside of LR is only looking at the embedded JPG not decoding the actual raw data.  More detailed information would help determine if this is the situation.

Another possibility is that the lines of corruption are not in the raw data but only in the display of the files on the computer, and there is some failing hardware or software component on the computer causing the issue. 

If the raw data is corrupted, usually a rectangular area starting at a certain position of the image has odd colors from there to the end, whereas if there is a hardware or driver failure, then only pixel-thin lines of various colors are sprinkled here and there on the image.

• 3. Re: corrupted files appreaing in LR4 - please advise!
              orith91246980 Level 1

Hi. Thanks for your responses. I'm using a Mac with OS X Yosemite. The CR2 is not corrupted. I'm using Lightroom 4 to view and edit my images - it only comes up corrupted in LR. If I open the original CR2 in Photoshop, there is no corruption.

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 5.17.58 PM.png

• 4. Re: corrupted files appreaing in LR4 - please advise!
                orith91246980 Level 1

I have opened the CR2 files in Camera Raw and they look fine. It's Lightroom that seems to be the issue. I've already downloaded the Lightroom software again and trashed the old version which did not help.

• 5. Re: corrupted files appreaing in LR4 - please advise!
                  Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Please make sure that you have selected the latest process version in Camera Calibration in the Develop module of Lightroom.

If it is already selected, change it to 2003.

Restart Lightroom to check if this helps.

If you are still facing any issue, please create a new catalog and import the images to check for the issue.

Let me know if it helps.

~Mrinmay

• 6. Re: corrupted files appreaing in LR4 - please advise!
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you upload a sample CR2 that has the issue?  I'd like to test in a newer version of LR and see if it still shows the problem.  To share a raw file upload to www.dropbox.com and post a public share link, here.  You can remove it once we're done and it'll be gone from Dropbox.

• 7. Re: corrupted files appreaing in LR4 - please advise!
                      dj_paige Level 9

This is caused by a hardware malfunction somewhere, which causes the photo to become corrupted.

The problem could be camera card, card reader or USB cable/USB port, hard disk or memory. You need to try transferring the photo to your hard disk again using different hardware, and if possible, using an entirely different computer.

The fact that other programs show the photo properly is because they initially show the JPG preview embedded in the file, and these tend to be uncorrupted even when the RAW is corrupted. So the fact that other programs show the photo properly is not relevant information in this situation.