18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 6:59 PM by Oleksy

Install lightroom 6

Graham_Martin Level 1

I read that an update to LR6 came out a couple of weeks ago. I subscribe to Adobe CC. My version of LR is 5.7.1. When I check for updates the message comes back that I have the most recent version. Why can I not update to LR 6?

• 1. Re: lightroom 6 update
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Graham_Martin,

Lightroom 6(Standalone version) or Lightroom CC 2015(Creative Cloud version) is a upgraded version of Lightroom 5. You need to download it and install it additionally using Creative Cloud desktop application.

Please click on the below link to see how to download apps from Creative Cloud desktop application.

Download and install Adobe Creative Cloud apps

Let me know if this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: lightroom 6 update
            Oleksy Level 1

Sounds to me you are using the desktop version of LR. LR CC doesn't even have the option to check for updates from within the applications. You need to launch the CreativeClound app. LR CC should show up in the list of available updates. On the Mac, CC shows up as a menu item (the icon resembles an 8 lying on its side).  Or you can launch it from the Applications folder

• 3. Re: Install lightroom 6
              Graham_Martin Level 1

Thanks. I have started to download the new version. I still don't

understand why LR5 told me I had the most recent version when I checked for

updates. One would have thought it would have simply updated to LR6.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Mrinmay Majhi <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: lightroom 6 update
                Graham_Martin Level 1

I have the CC version of LR. I pay $9.99 a month for it. When I launch LR, and click on "About" there is a menu item "Check for Updates."

• 5. Re: Install lightroom 6
                  Oleksy Level 1

That's because the upgrade from LR 5.X to LR 6 (stand alone) is not free.

• 6. Re: Install lightroom 6
                    Oleksy Level 1

Are you using Windows? On a Mac, clicking on "About Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC" just brings up a list of credits and a link to a legal notice.

• 7. Re: lightroom 6 update
                      Graham_Martin Level 1

How much does it cost? Adobe sold the CC product with the promise that updates would be done automatically without additional charge. I have just successfully downloaded V 6.1 (Thank you Mrinmay). There wasn't any mention of an additional cost. Maybe Okeksy didn't realize that I use the CC version.

• 8. Re: lightroom 6 update
                        Graham_Martin Level 1

I mean to say "System Info."

• 9. Re: Install lightroom 6
                          Oleksy Level 1

Hey Martin, are you sure there is an option to check for updates from the "System Info" dialog? I don't see it (on my Mac). Does it say "Creative License" or "Perpetual" on the second line?

BTW, I do still have LR 5.7 on my machine, and the license type is listed as "Perpetual". Also, there is a "Check for Updates..." menu item right above 'System Info", which is not there in LR CC. When I select it, I get a message telling me the LR is up to date. So it seems my diagnosis of your problem was correct all along.

• 10. Re: lightroom 6 update
                            Graham_Martin Level 1

I access LR via my desktop, but it is definitely the CC version. When I click on System Info it has the following info: (This is a cut and paste from the actual window)

Lightroom version: CC 2015.2.1 [ 1046594 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 7

Version: 6.1

Immediately above "System Info" in LR 6 there is a menu item "Updates."  If I click on that, a new window pops up with the CC menu that allows me to update LR CC, PS CC, and Bridge CC.  Maybe LR looks a bit different on a Mac. I am using Windows 7.  Do you agree that I am using the LR CC version and not a program installed separately on my PC?

• 11. Re: Install lightroom 6
                              Oleksy Level 1

Oh my -- you are a moving target! You are now in LR CC that you just installed! Launch LR 5 (it's still there!) and you will see exactly what you saw when you asked your original question. Now can I have my 10 points?

• 12. Re: lightroom 6 update
                                Graham_Martin Level 1

You are really confusing me!  I not sure what you are trying to tell me. You also said that the upgrade to LR-6 was not free. In that case why was I able to download it without being asked to pay for it? When I click on my Desktop icon for LR 5.7, and then on System Info this is what appears (copied and pasted)

Lightroom version: 5.7.1 [994254]

License type: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

When I open the new LR-6 version the system info is:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.2.1 [ 1046594 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 7

Version: 6.1

• 13. Re: Install lightroom 6
                                  Oleksy Level 1

Upgrade from LR 5.7 (perpetual license) to Lr 6 (perpetual license) is not free. LR CC upgrades are "free" (with your CC subscription). But you first have to have LR CC installed. You did not.

When did you first subscribe? I hope it was just recently, otherwise you've been paying for your subscription and not getting the benefits of LR CC (aka LR 6).

• 14. Re: lightroom 6 update

Hi Graham,

I have checked your account.

You, being a creative cloud subscriber, are entitled to use Lightroom CC 2015 without any additional charge as per the plan you have subscribed.

Please create a new shortcut icon for Lightroom CC 2015 to access it from your desktop or pin the application on your task bar.

Hope this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 15. Re: lightroom 6 update
                                      Graham_Martin Level 1

I first subscribed to LR CC in April of this year. I did not have it installed on my desktop prior to that. I have been getting automatic updates since then. The most recent was 88 days ago or sometime in July. I believe that LR 6 was released in April of this year. Maybe I subscribed prior to the new version. Anyway, I have accomplished my goal of updating to Ver 6 thanks to help from Mrinmay Majhi

• 16. Re: lightroom 6 update
                                        Graham_Martin Level 1

Thank you sir.

• 17. Re: lightroom 6 update

I am glad that I was able to help you with your query.

Please contact us back for further queries.

~Mrinmay

• 18. Re: Install lightroom 6
                                            Oleksy Level 1

Mrinmay,

Thanks for stating the obvious that Mr. Martin doesn't need to make any additional payments, beyond his monthly subscription, in order to have the latest LR CC. BTW, I never said he had to pay extra to upgrade LR CC, so there was no need for you to straighten things out (not in my mind, at least). It's patently obvious that Mr. Martin had been using the stand alone version of LR up until today. The least you can do is acknowledge this and apologize to him, on behalf of Adobe, for the fact that navigating around CreativeCloud is not as straightforward as it should be.