29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 3:57 PM by lizanatasha

HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12

lizanatasha

I created a slideshow in Elements 12 and could not burn it to a DVD.  When I tried to burn it to a CD or save to wmv, elements 12 freezes and shuts down about 62% of the way through (I tried it about a dozen times).   So I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premier 14, thinking if I had Premier I could get the slideshow out of the freezing Photoshop 12 and burn it to a DVD. (I tried it with Premier 12 trial version, and it worked, except it had a terrible watermark running through each picture that said something like  "Made with Adobe Premier 12 Trial  version"   - awful.  So, even though the 14 is on my computer, I can't get the slideshow made in 12 from 12 to 14, to burn a DVD, and I can't get 12 to recognize and use the 14 Premier that is on the computer!   HELP!  How do I burn a DVD Of this slideshow, in Photoshop 12, or get the slideshow to 14 so I can burn the DVD?

• 1. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

What versions of Photoshop Element and Premiere Elements have you purchased so far?

Photoshop Elements 12

Premiere Elements 12

Photoshop Elements 14

Premiere Elements 14

Your original problems might have been traced to too many photos and photos too large for the project. So, if we troubleshooted 12, then we would need to go into those details - content of slideshow, number of photos, pixel dimensions of photos, and what Elements Organizer Slideshow Output you used.

Now to the immediate problem of trying to get the Elements Organizer 12 slideshow into Elements Organizer 14 and from there into Premiere Elements 14 for burn to disc. There are problems in doing this.....

You can convert the Elements Organizer 12 slideshow in Elements Organizer 14 to move your 12 slideshow to 14. But here is the catch. There are major differences in the 12 and 14 slideshows. And, if the Elements Organizer 14 catalog accepts your 12 slideshow, it is going to insist that you allow it to convert the 12 slideshow format to the 14 slideshow format. In 14, you create the slideshow and export it to a 720p or 1080p AVCHD.mp4 file (5 themes to select from, several audio files to choose from). Then you bring that AVCHD.mp4 slideshow into the Premiere Elements 14 Editor either from the AVCHD.mp4 save location on the hard drive or from the Elements Organizer thumbnail for the AVCHD.mp4.

Elements Organizer Help | Create slideshows

Please review and consider. Unless there are other details that would suggest otherwise, it might be worthwhile troubleshooting getting the Elements Organizer 12 slideshow taken to burn to disc in Premiere Elements 12.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...what video card/graphics card does that Premiere Elements 14 computer use?

• 2. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
            lizanatasha Level 1

I don't know how to respond on the forum; I don't see a Reply link, so I will respond here on the email.  

Thanks for your reply.  I guess I did not realize that even if I could get the 12 slide show to 14, 14 might create its own mischief with it.  

To answer your questions, I purchased photoshop elements 12, Photoshop elements 14 and premier 14. I tried the trial premier 12 (you can't download it for purchase anymore), but I deleted it because it put a nasty watermark on the photos, announcing that it was the trial version.

The 12 slideshow runs for 43 minutes, has 638 photos and audio. I downsized all photos to 1000 pixels x the proportionately sized second dimension ( some under 750, some over).     When I try to copy it to a CD (or even run it), it freezes pretty much at the same point each time.  (I retook and reloaded the picture at that point, so I don't think the picture is causing that).   I don't know about the video card/graphics card. 

So, given this, any suggestions on how to burn from 12 without it freezing?  hanks very much.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
              lizanatasha Level 1

Also, is there any way that premier 14 will let me burn a slideshow directly from Photoshop 12 without importing and converting to 14's slideshow format?

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

In Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor, use the Output Option Save As A File Movie (WMV). Slide Size = DVD - NTSC - 720 x 480

(we would be going for DVD-VIDEO standard)

Then import that .wmv movie version of the slideshow into Premiere Elements 14 Editor Expert workspace, using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

Beforehand...

Depending on the resolution of the wmv that you have, you probably will have to set the Premiere Elements 12 or 14 Expert workspace project preset to match it (you manually setting it rather than having the project do it automatically. For DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc destination with this wmv, set the project preset manually for NTSC DV Standard. The general scheme for the manual setting of the project preset

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

ATR

We can talk about whichever direction you want to explore on this.

• 5. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

I think that I may have overlooked the details in your post 2 and did a fast pass through to your post 3.

Comments about post 2....

You cannot burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with just Photoshop Elements 12/Elements Organizer 12. You need Premiere Elements 12 to complete the program set for the task.

Best you can do with Elements Organizer 12 is to Output that slideshow to wmv with slide size for DVD and then find a burn software to take the wmv to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. The purchased Premiere Elements 14 that you have is a candidate for the latter test. There are other programs. This is not a matter of copy a video to disc; the program needs to generate DVD video files and structures from the wmv video.

But, even generating the wmv video in the Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor can have its problems. You seem to have sized your photo optimally.

Depending on your computer resources, the numbers of photos may be too may...638. Can you do a mini test run with 1/2 that number and determine if that is successful going to wmv whereas 638 is not.

More on this in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                    lizanatasha Level 1

Hi!   So, I am much further down the road, thanks to you, but have come to a halt and need help with the next step.  I did split the slideshow.  I saved the first half to wmv with no problem.   The second half froze, which is where it has been freezing whenever I have tried to save it from Photoshop Elements 12.   So, I thought it can’t be the size, there must something wrong at that point of the slideshow (even though I had retaken the picture and re-loaded the picture where it was freezing, previously).    I decided to delete the whole section (about 100 pictures) and re-load that whole section again, into PSE12.  It worked – I saved it to wmv.   Given that, I figured I could try to do the whole slideshow in one shot – so I reloaded, re-set with closeup setting, added type, music, etc (again!), and then was able to save it to wmv in one shot!   Then I burned a CD from PSE12, and that now worked too (after dozens of previous unsuccessful tries!).    But the quality of the CD was pretty bad, so I was back to wanting the DVD, so added the wmv media, but when I went to save it, it told me that I was trying to save to a CD-DVD drive..???   Of course, I was, but somehow Premier 14 didn’t like that?   So, I followed your instructions about Change Settings and Force Selected Project Setting on This Project, and then when I went to get the slideshow (it saved to an Adobe folder in my Documents), the folder with the name of the project we there, but there was not file in it to pick up???    So, it seems like I am almost there (again, with eternal gratitude to you – I have been in Adobe meltdown for weeks), but I need some help in getting to the next step.  THANK YOU!

• 7. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

Just wanted to let you know that I am reading your latest reply and will post next steps in troubleshooting strategy in the morning.

ATR

• 8. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

Thanks for the replies and the important and great work you have accomplished overcoming workflow considerations.

Here is where I am going to need clarification - where is the wmv file that contained your whole slideshow? Can you find it on the computer hard drive as the whole (with or without Premiere Elements opened) and/or can you find the two parts saved to the Elements Organizer browser shown there as a "video" icon project thumbnail?

You mention

I followed your instructions about Change Settings and Force Selected Project Setting on This Project, and then when I went to get the slideshow (it saved to an Adobe folder in my Documents), the folder with the name of the project we there, but there was not file in it to pick up???

So, before reading further, is there any signs of the wmv (whole or in two parts) to be found anywhere on your computer? If so, then please continue with the following. If not, then we need to try to figure out what happened to the wmv slideshow.

If you have the whole slideshow (good version) saved to the computer hard drive as a wmv file, then you should be able to get the DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc in Premiere Elements 14 doing the following with a DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 minutes disc in the burner tray.

Open Premiere Elements 14 to its Expert workspace, set the project preset to NTSC DV Standard.

2. Then use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to import your wmv from its hard drive save location into the project's Timeline (Video Track 1/Audio Track 1).

3. Edit if necessary

4. Apply Movie Menu as wanted.

5. Create the DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc

Expert & Share

Disc

DVD

SD 480 720 x 480

Set the Type = disc

and make sure that the project is recognizing your DVD disc in the burn tray - hit Scan button to be sure - look for the Status = Ready

Hit Burn.

Are you saying that did not work for you?

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                          lizanatasha Level 1

I have the whole wmv on my desktop.   I can get it into Premier.  That is what I used to try to burn to 80 minute DVD (the slide show runs for 44 minutes and using that silly trial Premier 12 with the watermark, I was able to save it to an 80 minute...but do you think it needs 120?  Anyway, when I tried to burn the DVD from the wmv I got those messages telling me I was trying to burn to a DVD/cd drive and it would not do it.  I tried it with the computer's DVD drive an an external one.      So I thought maybe it was because it was in wmv format and sought to find the pre-wmv slideshow in from the organizer that is supposedly saved in a documents folder, but was able only to find an empty folder - no slideshow inside.

• 10. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

Thanks for the reply.

I am not understanding the part

those messages telling me I was trying to burn to a DVD/cd drive and it would not do it

Was there any more detail on why this could not be done?

Let us try the following to see what is happening with 14 and Export & Share/Disc/DVD.

Please start a new project, import some jpeg photos (just a few), and then try to burn them to DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc

according to the details that I posted in 8. Is the burn to disc successful in that case? If not, please note all messages from the program related to why it is not performing the requested task.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                              lizanatasha Level 1

I was just writing to you….I think I am having success (waiting for the burn; will let you know)….based on your last instructions.    I made two mistakes earlier – I didn’t know I had to drag the project to the timeline to burn it, and I didn’t choose “disc” but rather ISO…….I believe it is in the process of burning now!!  I will let you know shortly if this was successful.

What I still can’t figure out is where the projects are saved.  They say they save to Documents-Adobe-Premier 14 – but when I go there, there are files that are very small – kilobytes  - so clearly not the projects.   Do you know where they are really saved?

• 12. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

I am very excited about your recent report...keeping very positive thoughts about the outcome.

For Premiere Elements 14....by default the Premiere Elements project file is saved in Windows 64 bit to

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/14.0

We can talk about default and customized save locations next once we have gained success with the burn to DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc.

Sounding very promising.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                  lizanatasha Level 1

THANK YOU SO  MUCH, ATR!!!    Your patient, thorough, thoughtful, instructions and the time you took to get me to the finish line on this project is SO appreciated!   You have been wonderful!!    This was a slideshow for my father’s 90th birthday party and was very close to my heart; I thought I would not be able to show it at his birthday party next week.   I will tell everyone about how you made this happen!    I spoke with lots of people – Geek Squad, computer experts, Adobe, etc., and no one was able to help me and explain things the way you did and I spent hundreds of hours wrestling with this.   You are so knowledgeable about the ins and outs of this.   Thank you; thank you.

• 14. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                    lizanatasha Level 1

I don’t see where I am supposed to click that your answers were “correct”

• 15. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                      lizanatasha Level 1

Do you want to talk about the saving part now, or take a break?     Also, many of the photos have glare in the highlights – they really are bright – is this a feature of this software – because they didn’t look that way in the JPEGs.

• 16. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

Wonderful, wonderful news. Congratulations on your project success and all the love and attention and stick-to-it-tiveness that went into it.

About the brightness in the highlights of the photos, did you see any of that in the previewing in the Edit area monitor before you got to Export & Share?

Let us start there. There are adjustments we can make at the Timeline level, but that means another burn to disc. How many photos are affected?

What might be something to consider...start a new project, take a few of these photos into the new project

a. if they look OK in Edit, then maybe darken them with Image Control mentioned below

b. if they don't look OK in Edit, we will adjust them accordingly....try Image Control or the Three-way color corrector.

Keep a record of the settings for the edited effects in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/and the panel for the effect applied. Burn to disc and see what the results looks like. Then go for the effect settings in the real project that gave you the best results in these test projects.

In Expert workspace, fx Effects/Color Correction/ and the Three-way color corrector might help with the Highlights. See details

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Effects reference

Or, we might be able to get away with just adjusting the Brightness and Contrast with fx Effects/Advanced Adjustments/Image Control.

But first let us gauge the before and after burn to appearance.

We will do saving projects next, probably tomorrow. I want to make sure you have your DVD-VIDEO on DVD ready to go in advance of next week.

Best wishes and Happy Birthday wishes to your father.

ATR

• 17. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                          lizanatasha Level 1

I just ran through the DVD on the TV monitor we will show it on and some of the edges are cut off.    We tried the various views and even in the best one, some edges were cut off, some parts of words/titles lost.  Is there an easy fix for this sizing-wise or do I need to let it go and just keep it in mind when cropping and adding text in the future?

I am not sure I will have time to do the highlights fix as I will be leaving town shortly. It may have to wait for a follow-on production...but I am going to try.   Otherwise, I am just so grateful that your help let me get it to this point.   I still want to know about the saving, but I may not be able to try that until I get back.   Thanks.

• 18. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

If you have gone through all the TV settings and still get the cutoffs, please open the project and go to the Edit area.

So you see Safety Margins? If not, right click in the monitor, and click on Safety Margins. You should then see two rectangles on screen.

inner one for titles (not to exceed)

inner one for action (not to exceed)

Can you move text or action so that each does not go out of its rectangle?

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Designing titles for TV

Also remember you have created a DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc. The aspect ratio = 4:3.  Are your TV settings for 4:3 or 16:9 or some other type of setting?

This business with the Safety Margins is related to the TV concept of overscan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

In Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, you can adjust the Safety Margins. I am not suggesting that at this time.

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits. Try to allow yourself space before the presentation.

Best wishes

ATR

• 19. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                              lizanatasha Level 1

I started trying to work on your suggestions from last night, but ran into some of the initial problems – this was created in Elements 12 and not 14, and I can’t work with it well in 14.   I saved a new project, but when I go to find it, I can’t – it’s a few KBs in the Adobe folder.     And can I work with it there as wmv – the only form I have been able to get to 14?   To make some of these fixes, without having to the time to figure out how to get it and fix it in 14, I probably need to go back and work on it in 12 and go through the whole process again.

• 20. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                lizanatasha Level 1

Can you go back from wmv to working copy of slideshow or if you saved it right away as wmv are you unable to work on it in Adobe?

Sent from my iPhone

• 21. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

With regard to post 20

Can you go back from wmv to working copy of slideshow or if you saved it right away as wmv are you unable to work on it in Adobe?

The only editable form of your slideshow in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor is the Slideshow Project version that needed to be saved to the Elements Organizer browser section. The wmv version of the slideshow is not editable in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor. In the Slideshow Editor, you can save the slideshow both ways to the Elements Organizer. 

When you are looking for the "video" wmv thumbnail and "Slideshow Project" thumbnail in the Elements Organizer browser, hold your mouse cursor over the icon at the top right corner of the thumbnail. It should then display "video" or Slideshow Project".

ATR

• 22. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                    lizanatasha Level 1

Isn’t it also saved somewhere else?   All I can find is the 14 folder in Premier in Adobe in Docs – and the “Projects” there are only a few kilobytes

• 23. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

The slideshow that is editable is a creation of the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor and does not leave the Elements Organizer.

It can exist in the opened Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor where you are editing it, or it can exist saved to the Elements Organizer where you will see that save as a thumbnail with that Slideshow Project icon at the top right of the thumbnail.

On the other hand, you can save the wmv version (not editable in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor) to 2 places

a. A hard drive save location of your choice

and/or

b. To the Elements Organizer where you will see that wmv save as a thumbnail with the Video icon at the top right of the thumbnail.

Did you give names to all these saves? I wonder if you could have overwritten any file if you left the name "untitled"? Do you find any files named "untitled" anywhere related to this?

Did you check out  Desktop and Documents/Music and Pictures and Videos? The save could have accidentally detoured?

ATR

• 24. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                        lizanatasha Level 1

Thanks.  I'm checking.

Sent from my iPhone

• 25. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                          lizanatasha Level 1

Do you know if you can transfer the editable slideshow from the organizer in PSE 12 in one computer to the organizer in another computer, or back it up on an external hard drive? I know you can transfer wmv version, but what about the editable version?  (I have tried and it won't copy and paste).  I know I need to transfer the pictures it draws from, but what about the slideshow itself?  Thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone

• 26. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

The editable version is going no where except

a. Existing in Elements Organizer catalog as thumbnail in Elements Organizer browser

b. Or opened in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor

or

c. Getting outputted/exported to hard drive(in 12 to wmv) (in 13/13.1/14 to 720p or 1080p AVCHD.mp4)

ATR

• 27. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                              lizanatasha Level 1

Thanks, ATR.  A shame, since I have to kill my hard drive and get a new one...would have been nice to keep editable version to add to in future. 

Sent from my iPhone

• 28. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

lizanatasha

Wait!

Slideshow Project is a creation of the Elements Organizer and resides in the Elements Organizer catalog. So....

Please take a look at transferring Elements Organizer catalogs from one computer to another?

Move Adobe Elements Organizer catalog using backup and restore | Photoshop and Premiere Elements 6 or later

ATR

• 29. Re: HELP!  Can't burn a DVD with 14 Premier, of Slideshow made in Elements 12
                                                                  lizanatasha Level 1

Cool. Will take a look at this when I get back. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone