3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 4:50 PM by Larry G. Schneider

How to write Arabic text in indesign cs6

AMYSHIN

Hi There

I'm using Indesign CS6 and in this programme, I don't know how to change Arabic text as a right to left.

I've checked from google but I'm still can not understand how to do it.

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 3.43.15 pm.png

Especially, even I'm using CS6, I don't' have that kinds of option in my programme.

Some of them said I need to download ME version of Indesign and still I couldn't find how to download ME version.

Would you please let me know how to figure it out?

Thank you so much!!

• 1. Re: How to write Arabic text in indesign cs6
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To type correctly in Arabic you need either a plugin like World Tools from In-Tools.com or an Arabic localized version of InDesign. If your CS6 is part of a CC subscription you can change your language preferences in the CC application, then download the Arabic/English version to add Right-to-Left controls, otherwise its the plugin.

There is also a trick you can use to create a frame with RTL formatting. Make a text frame, then right click and choose Fill with Placeholder Text while you hold down the Ctrl (Win) or Cmd (Mac) key and you should see a drop down to choose a language. This will add the correct formatting for Arabic to the frame, but you will not have any way to access the controls, so it is really only good for small amounts of text, like pasting from the clipboard or possibly Placing a story.

• 2. Re: How to write Arabic text in indesign cs6
            AMYSHIN Level 1

Hi Peter

Thank you so much for your reply but where should I download the Arabic/English version to add Right-to-Left controls??

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to write Arabic text in indesign cs6
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you working with a stand-alone version of CS6 or the Creative Cloud version. Makes a difference. If stand-alone, the you will need the World Tools addon.