• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some specific issues with Flash 19 (Chrome AND local .exe files)

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this is coming from a thread titled "Flash Player very slow in Chome" by zeorymoney. I decided to separate my issue since mine doesn't involve Facebook games.

Chrome version: 46.0.2490.80 m

Flash version: 19.0.0.226 (PPAPI)

Laptop specs: ASUS running Windows 10 Home

Screen res: 1920x1080

Graphics: NVidia GEForce 840m

Intel i7 5500-U, x64

Here's the main deal: As you can imagine, I play flash games on many different sites such as Armor Games, Kongregate, Pastel Games, etc. For most games on my old Windows Vista (which didn't have any fancy graphics integration, ran 1600x900p, but then again I'm not exactly sure how Flash would affect any of that anyway) and most flash games, BOTH in Chrome and in local downloaded .exe files.

I would like to use the Submachine series by Mateusz Skutnik as my examples. They can be found here: mateuszskutnik.com/submachine. I enclurage anyone, come one, come all, who can help me with my problem to play these games and get familiar with the playing mechanics in order to better understand my situation.

On my Vista, these online games would run well. By run well, I mean that there would be no stuttering between screens, no lag during animations on a screen. Extending this to other flash games, games on other sites would play relatively smoothly, only having lag if the file size was a bit too big at that point in the game (or whatever the technical term is). But hardly noticeable in any case.

Moreover, I bought the HD versions of the Submachine games, which basically give me a more detailed version of the game, in fullscreen. Again, though I expected more lag to come with the increased detail, not much was affected. The only exceptions would be the .exe files for Submachine 8 and 9 HD, because those games have significantly larger file sizes. But when switching between screens, the screens would move smoothly and surely.

Now, after buying my laptop, which I was excited to get because of its improved graphics systems (which I do not claim to be an expert on), and the Submachine games run really slow. Like REALLY slow. A clean transition from fast to slow between computers. We're talking about two to three times as long online, and screens in the HD versions can take up to five seconds to load where it should take less than half a second. Again, if you play the games, you'll know what I mean. This problem was first encountered in Windows 8 and persisted to now, now that I've installed Win10 on my laptop.

Obviously because of the usage of the game's screen switch mechanic this can make the games basically unplayable. Not just the heavier-duty later games like 8 and 9, but it's also noticeable on smaller files such as Submachine 9, Sub1, and Sub2. And for someone who researches these games a lot (the series has a cult following of sorts) this is simply frustrating.

I talked to the game developer Mateusz Skutnik about this problem. He said his wife had a similar laptop and they would look at the games there to see if there were any issues. They found none.

Here's what I have done to try to fix the issue:

1. Used Opera: This showed no change. I am still confused as to how this would affect local files anyway.

2. Multiple system cleanouts and driver updates: no change

3. Tried to un/reinstall Flash Player: I'm not sure if this can totally be done, because it seems so integrated into the computer system as is. Anything I changed, I changed back as soon as I found out no positive effect was observed.

4. Set my NVIDIA graphics to run Flash files: no change, though I have to recheck if this even was a possible action. NVIDIA control panel doesn't feel like opening right now.

5. Increased Global Storage settings for mateuszskutnik.com: no change, especially not to local files, I imagine.

6. Ran each of the 12 game's local HD files in compatibility mode for Windows Vista, WV Service Packs 1 and 2, ran in 256 color, ran in 640x480p, ran without DPI scaling, ran as administrator: no change

7. Deleted and redownloaded all of the local .exe game files: no change

8. Cleared entire internet caches multiple times, which seemed almost pointless since this is a fairly new computer (well, it was newer when I first was encountering these issues. (no change)

9. Routinely run CCleaner and defragmenting programs: no change

Something I had a question about: While I feel that this is not a reason for the problem, as it can't be modified or changed, but the Submachine local files run in various versions of Flash, from Flash 9 to 11. There's no indication that Flash 19 is taking control of playing these files (wouldn't it make more sense to have a newer improved version of Flash doing the work? Yet I thought I heard somewhere that this could not be changed, the version of Flash the game was made in). Like I said, these seem to open regardless of Flash 19's presence.

I'm going to re-contact Mateusz the developer to see if he can add a helping hand to the problem since they are his games. But I would also appreciate anything that any problem-solvers here can provide.

What I'm most concerned about (in no particular order):

1. Bigger Submachine games (like 8 and 9) are virtually unplayable because of the lag involved.

2. Smaller Submachine games (like 0, 1, FLF) are now experiencing lag, which is simply annoying.

3. The next installment of the Submachine series comes out this autumn, and I want to be able to enjoy it as I would have any other Submachine game on my original Vista with this wonderful piece of technology called Flash Player. (No sarcasm there, I have taken Flash for granted everytime I play Submachine, it's really worked wonderfully up until I got this laptop.)

I would assume that this issue was a Submachine-specific issue, but other games on other sites run slower too. I will compile a list of games on other sites that experience similar visual lag issues when I can.

I don't want to have an issue like buggy Flash on my mind, yet it seems that I'm not the only one who has problems with it, especially the later versions. I posted this separately of another thread in order to provide more direct access to Mateusz Skutnik to look at (even though he's a busy man, which I credit him for and totally understand if he doesn't see this in time for Submachine 10, I'm patient).

Again, if anyone has any possible sources or directions for helping me, they are much appreciated. I don't mean to convey any tones of accusation or sarcasm against Flash's performance besides basic frustration at seeing something not work where it once did. I will be willing to answer any questions to help speed the helping process along.

Thanks everyone!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: The game developer suggests it being an issue with Flash's RAM usage on my computer, would that make a difference?

Comments needed and welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I didn't accidentally mark the previous post as "Correct Answer", I thought that might have happened. The issue is still open to answers.

Just in case it does have to do with RAM, can anybody help me out in that area?

(Or with anything else that might be the problem? I just want answers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello?

Anyone out there have recommendations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Putting this back up there so people can see. It would be great if someone could help me out with information. The next game that I want to play in the Submachine series comes out soon and it requires Flash. I want to be sure that I can use Flash to play this game. Otherwise I cannot play this game. I already cannot play the other games properly because I am having trouble running Flash applications. I would like help in figuring out how to run Flash properly so I can actually enjoy my time with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again, I'm bumping this because this is an issue I would like fixed very soon before Submachine 10 comes out. I see that people are having their problems looked at and answered on this forum. I would also appreciate it if mine were looked at as well. If ANYONE knows ANYTHING about Flash Player or RAM or CPU usage or anything like that that could help me, please take a look at what I have to say. I'm beginning to doubt the efficiency of these forums. I want to have this fixed so I can say good things about Flash Player in the future.

I have since auto-updated to the most recent version of Flash Player 20.0.0.228 (PPAPI).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines