10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 3:22 PM by George in Seattle

What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?

George in Seattle Level 1

Is this supposed to be an upgrade?  If so why is it less useful? How am I supposed to inspect these potential imports?  How do I know this is even the right chip? Who thought this was a good idea?  Why are these obtrusive check marks so huge and juvenile looking?

What grade are the alpha testers in?  Is is my imagination or is all consumer software getting dumbed down and losing functionality?  Sorry, but I'm annoyed and I have a real problem with this import panel. Instead of editing these photos for people, I'm compelled to be writing this instead.

LRimport.PNG

• 2. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?

A windows restore point rollback to 6.11 produces this error. Creating a new catalog doesn't even work. This is now entirely unusable.

catopen.JPG

• 3. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

George you CAN'T use Windows Restore point. That simply does not work to Revert programs to a previous version. That is mainly used to Restore Certain, But Not All, Operating system files and or settings to a Previous Time (But has been my experiences it simply Does Not Work).

You have to Follow the steps on either the Lightroom Queen website or from the Link provided in the Update to the Apology from Tom Hogarty about the BONE HEADED, Juvenile, new import screen to uninstall LR 6.2.x and Reinstall LR 6.0 then Update that to LR 6.1.1

And I like your original post. To the Point and Extremely True.

Hey Staff and people at Adobe. What the F*** is taking so long and WHY ON EARTH HAVE YOU LEFT THE 6.2.1 VERSION POSTED AS A VIABLE UPDATE VERSION? It should be taken down. Are you hoping if more people update to it you won't have to Restore the previous import dialog?

I WILL BE CANCELLING MY SUBSCRIPTION IF YOU DON'T GET THIS RIGHT VERY SOON. LIKE IN THE NEXT WEEK.

• 4. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?

I managed to uninstall, and get 6.0 perpetual working which I intend to use until I can find a Lightroom replacement, which cannot happen fast enough after seeing this import screen.  It's obvious their intent to stupidify the product, so now the question becomes what becomes my 600k photo catalog.  This is why I have a perpetual version --to access old photos and maintain the catalog as a legacy in the event of this sort of scenario. After seeing a glimpse of their vision of the product's future I really don't want to put any more of my work into it. I'd rather use destructive editing in the interim.  It was just getting good, too.

• 5. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?
                JoeKostoss Level 4

George in Seattle wrote:

Is this supposed to be an upgrade?  If so why is it less useful? How am I supposed to inspect these potential imports?  How do I know this is even the right chip? Who thought this was a good idea?  Why are these obtrusive check marks so huge and juvenile looking?

What grade are the alpha testers in?  Is is my imagination or is all consumer software getting dumbed down and losing functionality?  Sorry, but I'm annoyed and I have a real problem with this import panel. Instead of editing these photos for people, I'm compelled to be writing this instead.

LRimport.PNG

There are 2 things you can do here to make it easier to import until the function is fixed:

1.  In the lower right corner, you can move the Thumbnail slider to the right to increase the thumbnail size allowing for easier inspection.

2.  In the lower left corner, click on the second icon to show imports in Loupe view showing one image at a time without the check mark.  Hit X to eliminate an image from import.  Use the right arrow on your keyboard to advance or if you are in Auto advance, the next photo will show automatically on the screen.

• 6. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

Shootistbond007 wrote:

ON EARTH HAVE YOU LEFT THE 6.2.1 VERSION POSTED AS A VIABLE UPDATE VERSION?

Because it works just fine for some (many? Most?) of us...

• 7. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

George in Seattle wrote:

Instead of editing these photos for people, I'm compelled to be writing this instead.

Not really - you could simply have done a site search for "import screen", seen umpteen posts just like yours, and followed the advice in any of them, instead of which somebody has had to repeat the same stuff all over again, just for your benefit.

Which adds nothing whatsoever to an already-done-to-death topic.

• 8. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?

Except they wont get a clue without the benefit of mass outcry if everyone fails to comment.  If users stop piling-on, it will be taken as affirmation of this horrible design, which has not been pulled. Whoever at Adobe thought this was a good design --still does.  Further, I am suggesting that this is the face of things to come with this product and few others are writing that.  I can easily foresee all the modules looking like this in the future.  It reminds me of Windows 8.   Designers seem pathologically compelled to the preschool level anymore. They should write a separate phone-cam dummy version if they want that audience. With so many types of users, one size cannot fit all.

• 9. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                        Except they wont get a clue without the benefit of mass outcry if everyone fails to comment.

This is primarily a user-to-user forum in which Adobe product developers rarely participate. Please add your vote and opinion to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/new-update-6-2.  Since Adobe hasn't yet indicated how they plan to restore the old "import experience", it's important to provide details about how the new import doesn't meet your needs.  If you just say "I don't like it', it's less likely to have any influence than if you say "Removing the Don't Import Suspected Duplicates option makes it impossible for me to import my stereo pairs, since LR's suspected-duplicates heuristic thinks the pairs are duplicates, when in fact they're not". 

• 10. Re: What is this import screen? How do I inspect what is to be imported?

After reading up on this issue I've concluded that Adobe is not charging enough for Lightroom. I would pay twice its current stand alone price to keep this an elite product.  That's still only 1/3 of a decent lens for a tool just as important. Adobe should not have to be pimping this product out to the ignorant. They need to charge what it is worth in the market that exists. I will take it as a bad sign if they don't raise the price.  The free/cheap software model is incompatible with this product.