5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2008 6:41 AM by Ansury

Making system calls in Flex

pacflexer
      - Can I make system calls to access the local file system? If so, is there a sample?
      - Can I make system calls to run local console scripts/binaries and get the output back? If so, is there a sample?

Thanks,
        • 1. Re: Making system calls in Flex
          ntsiii Level 3
          1) Under the Flash Player, no, under AIR, yes
          2) No.

Tracy
          • 2. Re: Making system calls in Flex
            Ansury Level 3
            The only way to run executables is to use an ugly hack with AIR. There is something called Artemis that gives you probably the "best" solution available currently, until Adobe grows up and lets AIR do this natively like every other VM in existence. (j/k)

http://artemis.effectiveui.com/
            • 3. Making system calls in Flex
              Gregory Lafrance Level 6
              To be fair, Adobe's initial vision for AIR is not as a technology that would permit you to create desktop apps that do all that "regular" desktop apps do.

Part of the reason is because they wanted to have a solution that "starts" to blur the lines between online and desktop, but I suspect another reason is because they wanted to get it out the door, and dealing with the additional security considerations might delay that.

That said, I'm right there with you, I am looking forward to when AIR apps can execute native apps.

One of the problems is that Adobe has "grown up" and now is getting a touch stiff, though I still believe they will continue to be one of the greatest software firms out there for the next 5 - 10 - 15+ years.

Of course I work there, so I'm at least a bit biased.
              • 4. Re: Making system calls in Flex
                Level 7

"Greg Lafrance" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gd8flp$sul$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > To be fair, Adobe's initial vision for AIR is not as a technology that
                > would
                > permit you to create desktop apps that do all that "regular" desktop apps
                > do.
                >
                > Part of the reason is because they wanted to have a solution that "starts"
                > to
                > blur the lines between online and desktop, but I suspect another reason is
                > because they wanted to get it out the door, and dealing with the
                > additional
                > security considerations might delay that.
                >
                > That said, I'm right there with you, I am looking forward to when AIR apps
                > can
                > execute native apps.
                >
                > One of the problems is that Adobe has "grown up" and now is getting a
                > touch
                > stiff, though I still believe they will continue to be one of the greatest
                > software firms out there for the next 5 - 10 - 15+ years.
                >
                > Of course I work there, so I'm at least a bit biased. But then again, I am
                > a
                > bit of a rebel against some aspects of Adobe (and definitely against some
                > aspects of the former Macromedia) culture.

Heh. Been there, done that. They stopped giving me t-shirts ;-).

• 5. Making system calls in Flex
                  Ansury Level 3
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Greg Lafrance
                  One of the problems is that Adobe has "grown up" and now is getting a touch stiff, though I still believe they will continue to be one of the greatest software firms out there for the next 5 - 10 - 15+ years.

haha Yeah I was joking with the wise comment (I meant grow up as in lose some stubbornness, rather than maturity), but it's out of bitterness seeing what's possible technically, but not allowed due to some decision made for reasons not fully known.