8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2015 11:21 AM by Szalam

Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.

edallpo Level 1

Hi, I am running the latest AE CC2015 on a Windows 10 Pro 64bits computer with the following specs:

Proc : Intel Core I7-5930K (3,5Ghz, not overclocked)

RAM : 32Go

GPU : AMD Firepro W7100 8Go DDR5 RAM

Every driver is up-to-date.

I have been experiencing these problems since yesterday with no reason at all (no new update or new software of any kind newly installed)

It started with a dynamic link composition  sent from Premiere (CC2015, latest) to AE, mixing multiple sources (mp4, DnxHD mxf, mp3)

• The first problem is that every time I tried to render out my comp in AE, even when forcing the activation of sound on export, the file rendered only contained an EMPTY SOUND TRACK.

It occured when rendering by default in a NON DESTRUCTIVE (Animation codec) .AVI file.

I tried to normalise my sources by first exporting everyone of them to DnxHD .MXF files and the mp3 track to an AIFF file with no effect.

When I switched to a NON DESTRUCTIVE (Animation codec) .MOV file, the sound was present and working, but this is merely a workaround, not a fix.

• Second problem is that there was a significant performance drop that I tested by rendering out a FullHD 5' comp with a single solid layer in it. The render took 5 minutes of erratic progress.
      • The third problem is that whatever the codec or container used in the render queue I always end up with a file in which everytime it was supposed to show the comp background, I have a "ghost" image of one of my layers appearing.

Even when switching every layers off, this image is permanently displaying through the comp.

It only disappears when cleaning up the cache, but comes back with every render. Even if the layer from which this image comes is not present in the comp.

This image is also displaying in Premiere when using the dynamic link comp.

Here is what it looks like when I open AE.

Notice that the comp is empty and yet, there is a ghost image.

AE.PNG

Cleaning the cache, rebooting multiple times, has no effect at all.

Last thing I am trying is to re-install After effects but I have little hope that it will fix anything.

What should I do now ?

EDIT : I don't now if it has something to do with the new preview, but when I render out any comp, the image is not updating in the comp panel. (caps lock is of course turned off)

I have used no third party plugin on this project.

As expected, re-installing AE has not effect.

• 1. Re: Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a bug in AE 13.5.1 where it doesn't render sound UNLESS it's rendering to an MOV file (or you render through the Adobe Media Encoder instead of AE's render queue). This is set to be fixed in next month's update.

Your ghost image is probably something a bit screwy with your cache. Try importing that project into a brand new project.

In CC 2015 (AE version 13.5.x), the preview does not show during a render. I believe this functionality is returning in next month's update. See this Adobe post about things not yet present in the new architecture of CC 2015 http://adobe.ly/1cXyVHV

If you're having too many problems with CC 2015, you could install CC 2014 alongside it and use that until next month's update. http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/16/how-to-find-and-install-previous-version-of-ad obe-apps-in-cc-2015/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.
            edallpo Level 1

Ok,

is there an Adobe post about known bugs of cc2015 similar to the post about the unavailable features ?

Importing the project into a new project has no effect. The image is there even if I create a new project from scratch.

Is there also a list of things that are fixed in the next update do determine if I go back to CC2014 or stick with 2015 ?

I performed a sytem restoration to a previous OS state in order to get things right, the ghost image is gone for now.

• 3. Re: Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.

edallpo wrote:

is there an Adobe post about known bugs of cc2015 similar to the post about the unavailable features ?

Yes: known issues in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5)

And, while we're at it, here's one on some of the new features of CC 2015: what’s new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5)

edallpo wrote:

Is there also a list of things that are fixed in the next update do determine if I go back to CC2014 or stick with 2015 ?

Not that I know of. But you don't need to make a big deal about "going back" to CC 2014. They can both be installed side-by-side and I would suggest having both of them on your machine. Project files will work between the two versions with absolutely no issues. Work with CC 2015, then, if you run into a problem, open that project file in CC 2014 to keep working and to see if it fixes the problem. Heck, with the Creative Cloud, you can install CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all on your computer at the same time! I have them all plus CS5 on my home machine.

• 4. Re: Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.
                edallpo Level 1

Thank you for the answers.

I went back to using CC2014 but I wanted to avoid that since I have some issues with the full screen preview that messes with my workspace :-/

• 5. Re: Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.
                  dissidently Level 1

You're getting too accustomed to the problems of AE 2015. Remember that for each of these people this is a new shock to them.

This is an unacceptable workaround. It is highly unusual. It is upsetting.

And... if the timing is wrong when this is discovered, for some people it might be the difference between getting paid for a job and losing a customer.

It is an upgrade.

People (since the invention of software) have assumed upgrades means what they say... an upgrade.

Adobe auto-deletes 2014 on a normal upgrade...

etc etc etc...

Just because you're tired of having to repeat yourself because everyday new people find that AE 2015 is not an upgrade doesn't mean that it's not a major hassle and minor nightmare for these people.

Empathy works!

• 6. Re: Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.

I'm sorry if my tone came across as tired of repeating myself or something. I actually thought the issues he were bringing up were new and interesting.

I didn't want him to think that he had to go back to CC 2014 and remove CC 2015, that's why I said he didn't need to worry about it.

Again, I'm sorry if it came across that way.

• 7. Re: Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.
                      edallpo Level 1

Actually, I was not aware of Tim Kurkovski's post about known issues of CC2015.

Reading it from top to bottom let me know that most of the issues I encounter with this version are already listed here.

I primarly upgraded to 2015 because I thought that it would fix many of the 2014 issues I had. (that's the main purpose of an upgrade IMO, new features come next)

Had CC2015 been presented as a beta version I'm not sure I would have trusted it this much and I am confident that I would have kept CC2014 installed in the first place.

I was not shocked by your tone, I came here to find some answers I was not getting from AdobeAE twitter account, and I got them.

(except for the ghost image but I suspect the OS to have messed up some DLLs; restoring it fixed the issue.)

• 8. Re: Sudden AE performance drop, sound on rendering issue and ghost image.

I'm glad to know your ghost issue got fixed with the restore.

Yes, calling CC 2015 a beta would have been a good idea. I get the feeling the After Effects team would have been in favor of that. They publicly said that they thought it was a bad idea to have the Creative Cloud default to removing older versions.

I really like CC 2015 because it points to the direction the AE team is headed, but I wouldn't have it as my only production version because of how new/different it is under the hood. It's the same as when they moved from 32-bit (CS4) to 64-bit (CS5).