1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 1:33 PM by Newsgroup_User

Problem creating an AIR installer (.exe) from a .fla file.

Axe_AP Level 1
      Hey everyone,

I am trying to create an Adobe AIR installer(.exe). I already created the .fla file and tested it. It didn't seem to work and gave me the error of "You cannot debug this SWF because it does not contain ActionScript" and acc. to this link
      http://www.actionscript.org/forums/archive/index.php3/t-168154.html

I created a new environment variable called JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS of -Xmx256M. And then the .fla file seemed to work . Apparently there is too much code in my .fla file with as many as 20 videos (.flv) and lot of radio-buttons ( I mean A lot of them !!! )...

Now with the .fla file working, when I am trying to create an AIR installer it is throwing the error, " Error creating AIR file. Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Xmx256M ” .
      so I am not able to create the AIR Installer. and If I change back the -Xmx 256M then my .fla file won't work. So what do I do now ? I somehow removed the above -Xmx 256M variable and created a AIR installer with a self-signed certificate and when I try to install that AIR installer, I get another error message, "The application could not be installed. Try installing it again. If the problem persists, contact the application author. Error# 0".

So I have 2 questions:

1. how do I create this AIR installer(.exe) and make it work as a .exe file and run it without having Adobe flash CS3 installed on another computer and please help me in my case as above.

2. Also, would I need to buy a digital certificate to create the AIR installer or can I use a self-signed certificate to create an AIR installer and use it to install the AIR application on a few computers ? Please help

Axe
        • 1. Re: Problem creating an AIR installer (.exe) from a .fla file.
          Level 7

"Axe_AP" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gqs5k7$cjp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > I am trying to create an Adobe AIR installer(.exe). I already created the
          > .fla
          > file and tested it. It didn't seem to work and gave me the error of
          > "You
          > cannot debug this SWF because it does not contain ActionScript"
          and
          > acc. to
          > this link
          > http://www.actionscript.org/forums/archive/index.php3/t-168154.html
          >
          > I created a new environment variable called JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS of -Xmx256M.
          > And
          > then the .fla file seemed to work . Apparently there is too much code in
          > my
          > .fla file with as many as 20 videos (.flv) and lot of radio-buttons ( I
          > mean A
          > lot of them !!! )...
          >
          > Now with the .fla file working, when I am trying to create an AIR
          > installer it
          > is throwing the error, " Error creating AIR file. Picked up
          > JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Xmx256M ? .

> so I am not able to create the AIR Installer. and If I change back
          > the -Xmx
          > 256M then my .fla file won't work. So what do I do now ? I somehow removed
          > the
          > above -Xmx 256M variable and created a AIR installer with a self-signed
          > certificate and when I try to install that AIR installer, I get another
          > error
          > message, "The application could not be installed. Try installing it
          > again.
          > If the problem persists, contact the application author. Error# 0".

>
          > So I have 2 questions:
          >
          > 1. how do I create this AIR installer(.exe) and make it work as a .exe
          > file
          > and run it without having Adobe flash CS3 installed on another computer
          > and
          > please help me in my case as above.
          >
          > 2. Also, would I need to buy a digital certificate to create the AIR
          > installer
          > or can I use a self-signed certificate to create an AIR installer and use
          > it to
          > install the AIR application on a few computers ? Please help

This forum is for people seeking help with the Flex Framework and/or Flex
          builder. You might want to try one of the Flash forums.