13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2015 5:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge

mrtibbs194

Hi,

I'm having a problem exporting a 4K video with Videomerge. It shows up fine in preview but does not work in the final export. I just get my green screen video. If I do it in 1080p it's fine but not in 4k. My background video is 1080p not 4k but my main source is. I've tried to upscale my video to 4K but it still doesn't give me videomerge.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
          A.T. Romano Level 7

reyoldm

What computer operating system? Have you tried another keying effect besides Videomerge and get have the same problem.

Since you appear to have 1080p and 4K video on the same Timeline, what is the project preset that you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set.

Using the above information, I will see if I have the same problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
            mrtibbs194 Level 1

Sorry . Windows 10 x64. I didn't manually set a project preset. Just chose 4K at the low setting on export.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
              A.T. Romano Level 7

reynoldm

Thanks for the reply.

Please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (even if the fields look grayed out). I want to get at what project settings exist.

For export...what did you go with in Premiere Elements 14 Windows?

Expert & Share

Devices

Computer

4k Ultra HD 3840 x 2160

and what Format - MP4-H.264 or other

Quality = Low?

or some other choice

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                mrtibbs194 Level 1

Ok

My Editing Mode is DSLR

Timebase: 29.97 FPS

Video Frame Size 1920 x 1080

Square Pixels 1.0

No Fields (Progressive Scan)

30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

My Export Settings are

Devices > 4K UltraHD

Format MP4 XAVC-S

Quality Low

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

reynoldm

Thanks for the information. I will work on this now and get back to you within the next few hours or sooner.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                    mrtibbs194 Level 1

Soo ...I figured it out (by your help).

1.File > New Project > Project Settings > NTSC-AVCHD-QFHD 16x9 29.97.

2. EDIT & Videomerge

3. Export Computer > 4k UltraHD > MP4 - XAVC-S > LOW

Works!

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

reynoldm

Thanks for the great news of success. My exports are still in the process of encoding.

Premiere Elements (any version) offers only one project preset (project settings). So when you have mixed formats to import, you need to set priority for your project strategy.

If you let the project set the project preset for you automatically, it does so from its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline of a new project. Based on what you wrote, you must have dragged the 1080p instead of the 4K to the Timeline as the first file to the new project's Timeline. When troubleshooting, I prefer the manual setting of the project preset (as you did with File Menu/New/Project) in order to eliminate at least one variable.

If you are OK with your results (as they say) do not mess with a good thing. But, you might want to explore keying effect ChromaKey in place of Videomerge.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                        mrtibbs194 Level 1

I like Videomerge a little more then ChromaKey ...I get slightly better results (without much tweaking I should say). Now if adobe would only give us CUDA support for Elements....:)

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

reynoldm

Thanks for the update.

Project Preset

NTSC-AVCHD-QFHD 16x9 29.97.

Video Track 2 - 4K video with Videmerge applied

Video Track 1 - 1080p video being used as background to show through transparency created in Video Track 2 video with Videomerge.

Export - 4k UltraHD > MP4 - XAVC-S > LOW

Was your video on Video 2, a clearly defined object on a green background.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                            mrtibbs194 Level 1

Yes I've had no problem with my green screen in the past ..solid and smooth.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                              mrtibbs194 Level 1

Ok ...so to follow up with disappointment ..I still didn't have luck with videomerge I even tried to use the setting "force project settings" and I still didn't get my green screen overlay. I tried to convert all of my source video to 4K with matching settings and it does not work. I'm just coming to the conclusion that 4k and and video merge does not work currently. I thought I had it when I did a short clip that showed the background...but maybe that was a fluke or maybe since it was only 1 minute long. If I export to 1080p it works perfectly but the any settings in 4K will not work.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

reynoldm

Thanks for the follow up.

I could never get Videomerge to work with the 4K export obtained in the Premiere Elements 14 Export & Share area. Initial tests suggested that this problem was the same in 13 and 12 as well.

Did you have any success with ChromaKey or Green Key for the 4K instead of Videomerge. Was the success with Videomerge limited to the 1080p files?

I will follow up on this in the near future to try to get at the whys.

Thanks for calling this to our attention.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 14 4K & Videomerge
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

reynoldm

I could never confirm your report back in post 6

Soo ...I figured it out (by your help).

1.File > New Project > Project Settings > NTSC-AVCHD-QFHD 16x9 29.97.

2. EDIT & Videomerge

3. Export Computer > 4k UltraHD > MP4 - XAVC-S > LOW

Works!

And later (post 11), Videomerge was not really works as thought.

I have gone into the matter in greater depth and can report that Videomerge and 4K (3840 x 2160) export is flawed.

The bottom line is to use Chroma Key or Difference Matte instead of Videomerge for your green screen project when the destination is a 4K 3840 x 2160 export. Except from just published blog post

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Videomerge Produced Transparency Lost In 4K (3840 x 2160) Sized Export

The study results point to this issue being exclusive to Videomerge and the 4K 3840 x 2160 export in Premiere Elements 12/12.1, 13/13.1, and 14. It is independent of codec (AVCHD vs XAVC-S), project preset (1920 x 1080p30 vs 3840 x 2160p30), and resolution of the import* (1920 x 1080 vs 3840 x 2160). The problem does not exist if ChromaKey or Difference Matte replaces Videomerge in these studies.

Please consider.

ATR