14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2015 5:51 AM by D Fosse

Saturation gone, why?

kajsaa44817215

I edit and export my pictures. I open them in a picture viewing program and they look like they're supposed to. But when I post them on the internet or email them a lot of the saturation/colour is gone. Why is this and how do I fix it?

• 1. Re: Saturation gone, why?
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hikajsaa44817215,

Greetings.

• Try posting it on different websites. like Facebook or here on forums or Upload it google images and see if you get the same results.
            • I believe it has nothing to do with the editing as images look fine in your picture viewing program.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Saturation gone, why?
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

You are probably exporting in ProPhoto or Adobe RGB color space, which will cause desaturation in applications that don't understand these profiles.

Use sRGB instead. (Color Space under File settings in the Export dialog)

• 3. Re: Saturation gone, why?
              kajsaa44817215 Level 1

I'm actually exporting in sRGB already.

Any other suggestions?

Skickat från min iPhone

27 okt. 2015 kl. 13:59 skrev Per Berntsen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Saturation gone, why?

created by Per Berntsen in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

You are probably exporting in ProPhoto or Adobe RGB color space, which will cause desaturation in applications that don't understand these profiles.

Use sRGB instead. (Color Space under File settings in the Export dialog)

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8110849#8110849 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8110849#8110849

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 4. Re: Saturation gone, why?

Are you seeing this desaturation on your own computer?

If so, post a screenshot of the image in Lighroom and a screenshot of the image in a web browser.

If you have Photoshop, open an exported image, open the Info panel (Window > Info) and check that the profile listed there really is sRGB.

• 5. Re: Saturation gone, why?
                  kajsaa44817215 Level 1

When I take a screenshot of the image in a browser and save it on the computer and open the saved picture there is no desaturation. This is so strange.

• 6. Re: Saturation gone, why?
                    kajsaa44817215 Level 1

I only see the desaturation in a browser.

• 7. Re: Saturation gone, why?

This is getting complicated, so I'm hoping that D Fosse sees this - he should be able to figure it out.

• 8. Re: Saturation gone, why?
                        kajsaa44817215 Level 1

Let's hope he does!

• 9. Re: Saturation gone, why?
                          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hm, my initial thought would be the same as Per's, but apparently that's not it. The only scenario I can think of where an sRGB file gets further desaturated in some sort of color management breakdown, is if the application in question chokes on a bad monitor profile.

A more remote possibility is an un-profiled wide gamut monitor, using a standard sRGB-like monitor profile. Then the desaturated version would actually be closer to correct.

So we need to establish the facts:

• What applications are you using here, precisely? Which web browser, which image viewer? This is important. Color management is performed by each application, not the operating system. Some applications are color managed, but most aren't.
                          • What monitor are you using? Is it calibrated/profiled and if so with what?
                          • Can you also make a side by side screenshot of Lightroom vs your web browser - IOW both open in the same screenshot? Never mind how it looks, just post it here.
                          • 10. Re: Saturation gone, why?
                            kajsaa44817215 Level 1
                            • I adjust the temperature in the picture. I increase the saturation, contrast, exposure.
                            • I use google chrome as my web browser
                            • I use windows photo viewer
                            • Generic PnP Monitor- Intel(R) HD Graphics. Device profile: System default (ASUS_17410019) Viewing conditions profile: System default (WCS profile for sRGB viewing conditions) It uses windows display calibration.

I hope I got all the information right now!

Namnlös.jpg

• 11. Re: Saturation gone, why?
                              kajsaa44817215 Level 1

When I open the printscreen image on my computer the lightroom image is even more saturated than before and the image in the web browser is as it is supposed to be.

• 12. Re: Saturation gone, why?

This has to be a bad monitor profile. The image backdrop in Lightroom is supposed to be dead neutral gray - and BTW this isn't "desaturation", this is dramatically shifted color.

Different applications are often affected differently by broken profiles, even when they are all color managed and should use the profile in the same way. This is because the images' source profiles are different and so the respective conversions into the monitor profile also different.

Go into Control Panel > Color Management and replace your current profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1:

Displayprofile_8b.png

Relaunch Lightroom when done so that it can load the new profile at startup.

This is a temporary/diagnostic measure, and the real fix is to use a calibrator (colorimeter) to create a new profile. But if you don't have one, sRGB is often close enough. Unless your monitor is a wide gamut model (for Asus that would be the PA249/279) - in which case you could use Adobe RGB, but to get it right a calibrator really is required.

If this doesn't help, uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" in Lr Preferences.

• 13. Re: Saturation gone, why?
                                  kajsaa44817215 Level 1

This solved the problem! Thank you so much!

In lightroom, should i export pictures using sRGB IEC61966-2.1 or just sRGB?

Skickat från min iPhone

28 okt. 2015 kl. 12:45 skrev D Fosse <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Saturation gone, why?

created by D Fosse in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

This has to be a bad monitor profile. The image backdrop in Lightroom is supposed to be dead neutral gray - and BTW this isn't "desaturation", this is dramatically shifted color.

Different applications are often affected differently by broken profiles, even when they are all color managed and should use the profile in the same way. This is because the images' source profiles are different and so the respective conversions into the monitor profile also different.

Go into Control Panel > Color Management and replace your current profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1:

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-8114887-837156/Displayprofile _8b.png

Relaunch Lightroom when done so that it can load the new profile at startup.

This is a temporary/diagnostic measure, and the real fix is to use a calibrator (colorimeter) to create a new profile. But if you don't have one, sRGB is often close enough. Unless your monitor is a wide gamut model (for Asus that would be the PA249/279) - in which case you could use Adobe RGB, but to get it right a calibrator really is required.

If this doesn't help, uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" in Lr Preferences.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8114887#8114887 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8114887#8114887

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 14. Re: Saturation gone, why?

You're welcome

sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is usually referred to just as "sRGB". They are the same, but for clarity above I used the full, official name to avoid confusion with other types of profiles you may come across in the complete profile list.

Bad monitor profiles is a huge problem and you're very far from alone in this. Monitor manufacturers usually ship these profiles on the disc that comes with the unit, but it doesn't stop there - they are also pushed through Windows Update and that's how most people get them. Why they do this is a mystery, considering that they simply can't seem to get it right. There is usually no advantage over the Windows default sRGB, even when they work.

Particularly notorious for this are Asus, Samsung, LG, Acer and a couple of others. I'd recommend anyone getting any of these monitors to not run the "installation" disc - there's nothing there that is required for the unit to work properly anyway. And when the update comes in Windows Update - click "hide" and it won't show up again.