19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 12:17 PM by malch

printer warning me about 'crossovers'. Any advice?

malch Level 1

Hi there,

After many months of work, and much help from generous souls who frequent this forum, I've finally finished writing and photographing, and I've contacted three printers regarding my 260-page book.

One printer will only do PUR binding, which is the least expensive but means that the book (as cookbook, I should point out, with lots of photos) won't lie very flat, and might not stand up under heavy use, which I hope this book gets from family members and friends at least—I should also mention, perhaps, that I'm just having fifty or sixty copies printed, and I'll be giving them away to said family and friends.  I didn't do it for the money, in other words; it's a project that I took on during the last six or seven months of unemployment.  (and I've never been busier!).

Anyway two other printers will also print the book's pages on their digital presses (100lb text weight, glossy), but say they can bind the books in a much better way than PUR.

Printer A will print ‘4-page sections that will then be folded, collated in sequence and then sewn in one stack'.  I'm not sure: is this called Section Sewn?  Head and Tail bands included, hard cover.

Printer B will print in 16-page signatures; Head and Tail bands, hard cover...

My concern is that on 40 of the 260 page in my book, photos and graphics run across the two facing pages.  So easy to do so perfectly and accurately in InDesign, but now that I'm at the printing stage... wondering what I'm in for.

Printers B has warned me that 'running images across the gutter is not going to result in perfect line-ups. Period. Full stop... I want you to get the finished product you want but we can only work with what we’re provided. And if you provide a file with 40 or so crossovers you’ve listed, I don’t think you’ll be happy with the finished book".

Yipes.

When I said to this printer that many of the cookbooks on my shelf include photos that run across both pages (what he calls 'crossovers'), he said that things can be made perfect, but at great cost in the binding process.  He knows that my funds are limited, so I think he'd rather I just lower my expectations.

Any thoughts on this?  Is this what others of you have faced when your InDesign projects get printed?

Malcolm