7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2007 6:15 AM by swasher1

Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?

neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP
      Only just bought Director MX Studio 2004, and recieved the package today.
      My Graphics partner is very excited!
      But anyway - what I am wondering is if it is possible to create Director Movies that can be added to DVD-Video discs in the ROM folder so that they will play on computer based DVD-ROM drives.
      If this is something that can be done - complete with the .exe file (as well as a Mac equivalent?) then this is indeed going to be fun.
      Can anyone tell me if this is possible please? And if it is, how I would go about it? (Apart from RTFM of course!)
        • 1. Re: Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?
          otterman Level 1
          Welcome to the world that is director, hold tight, its about to get hairy!

I maybe misinterpreting your post here but here gos anyway,- Think of Director as an application creating piece of kit. It essentially allows you to generate multimedia and deliver it in several ways. As far as DVD is concerned, it is a common misconception that director can create DVD material. So when you say 'Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?' This is a definate NO. In fact its just the opposite, Director can only showcase DVD video.

Ive created several DVD-roms in the past that when played back on a pc or mac, will present the director application (text, pictures, swf animations, interactivity etc...) as well as DVD material. This is created by adding a DVD asset and then pointing to the DVD folder contaning all the VOB files etc. To authour this, you then include the DVD video material along with your DVD-rom.

Now you can do several things with the DVD video such as control the playback, speed, audiochannel, chapter etc... as well as fire off events as and when you require them..

I suggest you prob futher into this subject, you will find all the information you need on the abode site and this forum, heres a starting point- http://www.adobe.com/devnet/director/articles/dvd.html.

You may also want to look up the DVD events manager.

Good luck with this, used correctly its a very powerful tool.
          • 2. Re: Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?
            Thanks for the info - I will go check out the website you pointed me at & see what I can see & Do.
            So, if I understand correctly, I need to auythor the DVD-Video content first to a Video_TS folder, containing all the VOB files, and then bring this into Director & add the next bits (Director Movies etc)?
            This makes sense to me, it is indeed the reverse of the way I thought it would work, but that is fine. (I assumed I would need to do the Director bit first, then author the DVD-Video component & point the authoring app to the ROM folder)

The way you aredescribing it actually makes sense - the other application I have been looking at, Sonic's eDVD4, does things the same way around. I author DVD-V first then bring the authored Video_TS into eDVD and add the stuff for the root & the ROM content that a DVD-Video set top player cannot access.

Thank you very much for the pointers!
            • 3. Re: Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?
              funonmars Level 1
              I get page not found at that link, unfortunately.
              • 4. Re: Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?
                f0ld
                If you'd like the DVD to play on set top boxes.... use something like e-DVD by Sonic.

With e-DVD you author the DVD in your usual way, with your usual authoring software, then pull the files into the software so that you can link to external files. These will launch when played on either a MAC or PC. This means you can allow people with set top boxes to view the video content, and those with computers to view the DVD video and all the extra content.
                • 5. Re: Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?
                  quote:

Originally posted by: f0ld
                  If you'd like the DVD to play on set top boxes.... use something like e-DVD by Sonic.

With e-DVD you author the DVD in your usual way, with your usual authoring software, then pull the files into the software so that you can link to external files. These will launch when played on either a MAC or PC. This means you can allow people with set top boxes to view the video content, and those with computers to view the DVD video and all the extra content.

I am aware of & familiar with eDVD - many thanks for the thought, though!
                  I don't want the Director content to be playable on a settop - didn't even think that was at all possible.
                  Just wondered if I could include Director movies in the ROM folder, so that they would play in a Mac or PC drive, and the Video_TS would play on the set-top.
                  That is essentially all I want to do here.

• 6. Re: Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?
                    otterman Level 1
                    Hi Neil

Sure this is possible. As long as your video_TS folder is contained in the route folder a conventional player will 'see' the video and simply ignore anything else. As regards to computer use, an autorun.inf file will point to the director file and launch this instead.

However, beaware that some computer dvd playing software will 'override' any autorun files and kickin before your director file is launched. I believe powerDVD 8 and macs have this issue. This is a real pain and something that has bitten me on the asssss on more than one occasion.

As far as Im aware, there is no real way around this when creating dual DVD/DVD-rom discs. Suggestions please anyone ????
                    • 7. Re: Director Movies as ROM content in DVD-Video?
                      swasher1
                      This is an exciting topic! Of course I can control a DVD that is sitting in my ROM drive. But how do you "point to" the folder to play the DVD video if it is residing in a folder on your hard drive which then will be transferred to a DVD?