9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2015 7:08 AM by trshaner

Selecting a GPU

petehz

Is it possible to select the graphics processor that LR CC should use?  In PS CC I'm able to change the settings so that it uses the GeForce 930M rather the integrated GPU but I can't seem to do this in LR.  If I use the NVIDIA tool to change the settings (as I did for PS) I don't even see LR as a programme that can be selected.

Thanks,

Pete

• 1. Re: Selecting a GPU
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hipetehz.

Greetings.

• Try to update the graphics card drivers
          • Restart the computer and then try adding LR again manually from from Nvidia control panel.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Selecting a GPU
            cppasm Level 3

You can't do this in Lightroom.

You should disable integrated GPU either in BIOS or in Device Manager (if you are on Windows).

• 3. Re: Selecting a GPU
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

petehz wrote:

Is it possible to select the graphics processor that LR CC should use?  In PS CC I'm able to change the settings so that it uses the GeForce 930M rather the integrated GPU but I can't seem to do this in LR. If I use the NVIDIA tool to change the settings (as I did for PS) I don't even see LR as a programme that can be selected.

Thanks,

Pete

You can do this under Nivida Control Panel> Manage 3D Settings> Program Settings select 'Add' and choose "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. Normally you only use this feature if you want to disable the GPU's CUDA cores for certain applications or use custom settings for specific applciations.

What makes you think LR is not already using the GeForce 930m GPU?

• 4. Re: Selecting a GPU
                petehz Level 1

The driver is up to date and I believe it's not using the Nvidia GPU as when I look under preferences and performance it's showing the GPU as Intel HD Graphics 5500. I've just followed the your suggestions above and added LR to the list in the Nvidia control panel (and rebooted my machine) but it's still showing as the Intel GPU.  Is there actually any major benefit in me using the Nvidia rather than the Intel GPU?  If not I won't worry about it.

Thanks,

Pete

• 5. Re: Selecting a GPU

petehz wrote:

The driver is up to date and I believe it's not using the Nvidia GPU as when I look under preferences and performance it's showing the GPU as Intel HD Graphics 5500.

Pete

I forgot about that since I have the GPU option unchecked. My Nivida Quadro 600 has less performance than my i7-860 quad-core CPU, so it actually slows down some operations.

Here's a PassMark G3D Mark comparison:

Intel HD 5500: 560

Quadro 600: 680

GeForce 930M: 875

The PassMark benchmark focuses on 3D performance and LR uses OpenGL, but the benchmark numbers are a good "relative performance" indicator. You may get better results using the GeForce 930M. Check the Nivida Control Panel as below and see if you have an option for selecting the 'High Performance NVIDA processor instead of 'Auto-Select.'

• 6. Re: Selecting a GPU
                    petehz Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I did try selecting the high performance Nvidia processor twice but still no joy (even though it seemed to apply the settings).  It's not a major issue as not causing any problems  so think I will just leave it as is.

Thanks,

Pete

• 7. Re: Selecting a GPU

The Nvidia driver may be incompatible with LR. Go to Help> System Info and see if the GeForce 930M is detected and 'Check OpenGL Support' shows as Passed. If not this may be "fixed" in the next LR or Nivida driver update.

• 8. Re: Selecting a GPU
                        petehz Level 1

It's still showing Intel and not Nvidia in the screen above.  Think I'll wait to see what happens with the next round of updates as it works fine in PS

Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: Selecting a GPU

If you're not having any issues inside LR I wouldn't worry about it.

For the benefit of other who land here with LR issues here's some more info:

Sounds like your laptop is using Nivida Optimus technology. It enables the Nvidia GPU for graphics intensive applications such as 3D games and turns it off to save power when using other apps. The Nvidia Control panel apparently thinks LR is not a graphics intensive app. It's not likley Adobe or Nivida will "fix" this issue in an update You should be able to select it manually as I suggested and this worked for one user to enable the Nvidia GPU in LR6. You may need to restart the laptop for it to take effect.

Lightroom 6 with Nvidia Optimus.: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review