8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2015 4:28 PM by joem57192410

Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths

joem57192410 Level 1

As title suggests. In order to create a curved motion path you grab the bezier handles and adjust the path to taste. In Premiere elements they blend in with the motion path and you cannot see them in most cases. If I try to click on the path to grab one, the object becomes unselected and the motion path vanishes until I reselect the object. What can I do? It's very frustrating. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Please confirm that you're talking about setting keyframe interpolation in your video project -- and, if so, on which version of Premiere Elements are you trying to do this in?

Also, are you adjusting keyframe interpolation on a timeline clip or in the Applied Effects panel?

• 2. Re: Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths
            A.T. Romano Level 7

joem

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system involved?

My first impressions is that this is a visibility problem with Timeline Bezier handles since Applied Effects route allows for setting the interpolation method for keyframes but not adjusting the Bezier handles.

I ask about this since I recently ran into a Premiere Elements 14 image bounding box (handles) visibility issue in the Edit area monitor on one of my Windows 7 64 bit computers. We might have to enter computer monitor details into all this.

Please consider and supply more details.

ATR

• 3. Re: Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths
              joem57192410 Level 1

Premiere Elements 14.

Windows 8.0

The first time I changed the position of the playhead and then repositioned a graphic element. The keyframes in the FX panel were linear by default and the motion path had selectable bezier handles. I could arc the path easily. Then when I reposition the CTI and change the position of the graphic again I get a liner keyframe without handles. I tried switching the keyframe interpolation to Bezier, auto bezier and get no selectable handles.

I just tried it again and I got selectable Handles between keyframes 1 and 2. And again between keyframes 2 and 3. Then no handles between keyframes 3 and 4.

These were all linear keyframes I'm talking about. So  I don't know what to think. Maybe I'm going about this wrong?

• 4. Re: Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are no Bezier handles available in Applied Effects panel in version 14, as far as I know. There are interpolation settings for both temporal and spatial interpolations, including Auto Beziers -- but they are fixed settings.

The only way I know of to set the Beziers in version 14 are to set the rubber band (the horizontal yellow line running through each video clip) to Position, using the drop-down menu at the top of the clip. You will then be able to locate, right-click on a keyframe point and set to Bezier and adjust the Bezier handles right on the rubber band.

• 5. Re: Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

joem

My first impression was a possible visibility problem at the Timeline level related to the Bezier handles.

Your further information suggests more. Nonetheless, until you work through this matter, you might want to look at the problem with the video track display format set at No Thumbnails to get the best possible view of the handles. Please right click near the name of the track, select Display, and then No thumbnails.

If you are saying that originally you had Bezier handles when you stayed with or selected the default Linear Interpolation Method, I question that.

The Interpolation Methods that offer these Bezier handles are Bezier, Auto Bezier, Continuous Bezier and even with applying the presets of Ease In or East Out.

Linear Interpolation Method offers no Bezier handles at the Timeline level.

Under several circumstances, you do not have even to right click the keyframe to change the Interpolation Method It is easy to go from Linear to Auto Bezier just by Ctrl clicking the keyframe on the Timeline clip's rubberband. And, when you do select a method offering these Timeline Bezier handles, often you can switch Interpolation Method just by changing the direction of the handles.

The following which you wrote is of concern to me

I tried switching the keyframe interpolation to Bezier, auto bezier and get no selectable handles.

Is this true if you start a new project and apply keyframes as in the original project?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths
                    joem57192410 Level 1

Hey Thanks again.

I was confused by the motion path handles in the preview window. I thought they could act as a bezier curve to change the distance between key frames by extending or shortening the handles. I've done some limited editing in After Effects in the past. I thought that you could do it in the preview window. I couldn't find some of the handles until I hovered the cursor directly over a keyframe. Then I saw the small circle appear and I could adjust the handle. See attached image.Motion Path Handles.png

I went into the timeline and saw what I should be doing. Do you know if Adobe has any tutorials on timeline animation techniques?

• 7. Re: Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

joem

Thank you for that very important screenshot in your post 6.

In my comparison of can do and cannot do I was focusing and comparing the keyframe representations on the Timeline rubberband versus their representations in the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel Expanded Show Keyframe controls. I did not consider that you might be working in the motion path in the Edit area monitor where you do see the keyframe with Bezier handles. And there is correlation behind Timeline rubberband, motion path in the monitor, to Motion Panel expanded Show Keyframe Controls.

As a preliminary look at Timeline rubberband and keyframig, you might be interested in the properties that can be keyframed and whose keyframes can be managed at the Timeline rubberband level.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Video and Audio Track Content Rubberband

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe-rubberband-options-detailed.html

Thank you for a very interesting question.

ATR

• 8. Re: Cannot easily see Bezier handles when creating motion paths
                        joem57192410 Level 1

Thanks for sticking with the question and the link {:>)