Which version of the program are you using on which operating system?
What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what resolution and format is this video?
As asked already, what version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?
But, I would ask at this time
1. If Premiere Elements 10, what video card/graphics card is your computer using? NVIDIA GeForce?
2. Are you getting a Display Card Error message along with the white display in the Edit area monitor?
3. What video card/graphics card does your computer use? More than 1 card? If Windows, please see Device Manager/Display Adapters/card name or names?
4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements and are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?
5. If you open a new project and import files from the same or different source, do you have the same problem?
Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.