27 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 3:13 PM by mjmbkk

Importing Duplicates

mjmbkk Level 1

I've previously imported photos into LR. I deleted the project, but now need to work on them again. The photos are still on the SD card. I can't import them as LR indicates the photos are in the program. I've check the file, not there. Is there a way around this? I also want to convert the files to .dng

• 1. Re: Importing Duplicates
          dj_paige Level 9

You need to find these photos in Lightroom. Follow all of these four steps in order:

1.   In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs

2.   Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)

3.   Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)

4.   Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

• 2. Re: Importing Duplicates
            mjmbkk Level 1

I did as you suggested, but could not find the photos. I believe the photos would have to be on the disk to find them. I thought about coping the files from the memory card to the folder where they were first imported. I don't think that will work as I converted the files to dng. Is there a way to delete/remove the information in LR then re-import the files from the memory card? In the previous version of LR there was the option to ignore duplicate files. It looks like that was removed in the new version.

• 3. Re: Importing Duplicates
              dj_paige Level 9

You can delete the photos from Lightroom and then re-import, however you will lose all edits and user-supplied metadata when you do this.

• 4. Re: Importing Duplicates
                mjmbkk Level 1

I did that. I can't import them, as LR identifies the photos as already imported. In the earlier version there was the option to import duplicates, that seems to have been eliminated in the latest version.

• 5. Re: Importing Duplicates
                  dj_paige Level 9

I would suggest you follow my 4 step procedure again, this time being extremely careful to do it properly, so you can find the photos in your Lightroom.

• 6. Re: Importing Duplicates
                    CThody

I have exactly the same problem and find that the four steps kindly offered haven't worked for me either.

• 7. Re: Importing Duplicates
                      dj_paige Level 9

show me a screen capture of your search in Lightroom so I can see you have select "All Photographs" and used the search bar to search by file name.

• 8. Re: Importing Duplicates
                        CThody Level 1

Hi

Thank you. My problem is I need to import about 179 photos that were previously imported. How do I find them all at once?

Charles

<mailto:cartrefcottage@btinternet.com> cartrefcottage@btinternet.com

<http://www.charlesthodyphotography.com/> www.charlesthodyphotography.com

• 9. Re: Importing Duplicates
                          dj_paige Level 9

I said:

show me a screen capture of your search in Lightroom so I can see you have select "All Photographs" and used the search bar to search by file name.

When you show me this screen capture, we can know how to proceed. Until then, I have no advice.

• 10. Re: Importing Duplicates
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A picture is worth a thousand words–Below is what is asking you to do.

Missing Files Filter Bar Example .jpg

• 12. Re: Importing Duplicates
                              dj_paige Level 9

Thanks trshaner, I'm at work, I don't have Lightroom here, so I can't produce screen captures.

• 13. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                mjmbkk Level 1

I've followed your instructions twice, slowly & carefully. I have a multiscreen setup and it would be difficult to read the screen capture. My screen capture would look exactly like trshaner's.  I don't under stand how doing the search will find photos that I have removed/deleted from the external drive.

• 14. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                  dj_paige Level 9

We're trying to find the photos in Lightroom, not the photos that have been removed/deleted from the external drive.

What do you see when you do this search?

• 15. Re: Importing Duplicates

mjmbkk wrote:

I've followed your instructions twice, slowly & carefully. I have a multiscreen setup and it would be difficult to read the screen capture. My screen capture would look exactly like trshaner's.  I don't under stand how doing the search will find photos that I have removed/deleted from the external drive.

If the photos were deleted from outside LR then they are technically still in the LR catalog, but "missing." They should still be found using the Filter bar as outlined, but LR6.2 made some significant changes to the Import module and may be causing the "reimport" difficulties you are experiencing. If you are using LR6.2, 6.2.1 or CC205.2, CC2015.2.1 suggest you roll-back to the last stable version, which is LR6.1.1 or CC2015.1.1 as outlined here:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-roll-back-to-lightroom-2015-1-1-or-lightroom-6-1-1/

• 16. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                      CThody Level 1

Hi

How do you roll back to a previous version. What you describe is exactly the problem I am having and I am using CC2015.2.1 It's horrible!

• 17. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                        dj_paige Level 9

How do you roll back to a previous version. What you describe is exactly the problem I am having and I am using CC2015.2.1 It's horrible!

The link for doing this was provided in the previous post.

• 18. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                          CThody Level 1

That tells me how to download LR6.0, but I want LRCC as I am paying for it monthly

Charles

• 19. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                            dj_paige Level 9

You didn't read the link.

And anyway, it's the same download for LR 6 and LR CC.

• 20. Re: Importing Duplicates

CThody wrote:

That tells me how to download LR6.0, but I want LRCC as I am paying for it monthly

The installer at that link is for both LR 6 and LR CC2015. When the current LR version (LR CC2015.2.1) is uninstalled only the program files are removed. Your catalog, program settings, preferences, serial number and activation code are all retained. The installer will discover the previously installed product (6 or CC 2015) and use the proper installer. I agree it is a bit confusing.

• 21. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                                CThody Level 1

Annoying thing is that I’ve followed the instruction and reinstalled LR6.0 but unable to install the update to 6.1 following the instructions. So now I have lost the dehaze tool L

Charles

• 22. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                                  CThody Level 1

It still doesn't work :-( Got back to LR6.0 but the next update zip file will not install as it says it needs Adobe Installer but software won't let that operate due to having CC which wants me to get the latest version again. Now I've lost functionality as a result

• 23. Re: Importing Duplicates

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong because many others have used those installers with success for both LR 6 and CC2015. One of those users created a video on how to do the roll-back. Try following his instructions here:

http://www.davidmarx.com/how-to-roll-back-to-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-cc-2015-1-1-lightro om-6-1-1/

• 24. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                                      mjmbkk Level 1

Today, I tired your four steps with different results. It is a 14 day project I am trying to find, folders are labeled by the shot date in the catalog. Three days are still missing. I'll refer to them as Folder A & B.  It may help to explain my process for importing photos from the compact flash card to LR before asking my next question. I import each day individually from the card to an external drive and a second copy to a server. The photos are converted from NEF format to DNG. Keywords are added by day.

Folder A, is in LR, but  does not appear in the catalog folder list in the left panel. Using your four steps I can find all the photos for Day A using your four steps. All the files are DNG and appear in the correct keyword section.  A minor inconvenience but I'd like to learn how to get it back in that section (left panel) with the rest of the project.

Folder B is  different. The photos do not appear on the external drive and the date of B does not appear in the catalog (left panel). They are on the server, but as NEF files, not DNG. I did the four steps without finding any of the photos from that day. I then tried importing the photos from the compact flash card. Hovering over the photos from that day indices all the photos have already been imported. If they were imported they should be DNG files, not NEF.

1. Can I get Folder A to show in the catalog list?

2. How can I import Day B into the catalog, even though LR indicates they are already in the catalog? They are not on the external drive where I store all the LR photos.

Thank you for your continued support.

• 25. Re: Importing Duplicates

What LR version are you using? Before going any further if you are currently using LR 6.2, 6.2.1, or CC 2015.2 , CC 2015.2.1 I suggest rolling back to LR 6.1.1 or CC 2015.1.1 as outlined here:

http://www.davidmarx.com/how-to-roll-back-to-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-cc-2015-1-1-lightro om-6-1-1/

There have been numerous issues reported with the 6.2 and CC 2015.2 updates so it makes no sense to troubleshoot further if you are currently using one of these versions.

• 26. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                                          dj_paige Level 9

Folder A, is in LR, but  does not appear in the catalog folder list in the left panel. Using your four steps I can find all the photos for Day A using your four steps. All the files are DNG and appear in the correct keyword section.  A minor inconvenience but I'd like to learn how to get it back in that section (left panel) with the rest of the project.

The most likely cause is that you imported the photos from Folder A by (accidentally?) selecting the copy option, and you now have two copies of these photos, and Lightroom doesn't know about Folder A, it only knows about the folder where the photos were copied into. If you right click on one of these photos, you can select Go to Folder in Library and determine where these photos are located, according to Lightroom — this folder will become highlighted in the Folder Panel on the left, you may have to scroll up or down to find the highlighted folder.

To get the photos back to Folder A, right-click on the folder just found above and select the Update Folder Location command.

Folder B is  different. The photos do not appear on the external drive and the date of B does not appear in the catalog (left panel). They are on the server, but as NEF files, not DNG. I did the four steps without finding any of the photos from that day. I then tried importing the photos from the compact flash card. Hovering over the photos from that day indices all the photos have already been imported. If they were imported they should be DNG files, not NEF.

Try the four steps, but search for just the file number, for example if the original is DSC_0219.NEF and you think you might have converted it to DSC_0219.DNG, try searching for just files whose name contains 0219

• 27. Re: Importing Duplicates
                                                            mjmbkk Level 1

Ok, Folder A is fixed per your instructions.

Now I see what the problem is with Folder B. This entire issue began when I moved the catalog from a smaller drive to the current drive. Earlier you helped me resolve issues there. The missing Folder did not copy to the new drive. I found it when I reconnected the old smaller drive. I have copied the folder into the catalog on the new drive using explorer, then sync'd. All is well.

Thank you for your patience and finally resolving this.