10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 3:49 PM by wobertc

How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?

MissM2

I tried to add my .png logo to Lightroom to place in the background section of my Book module (to then scale) to use on my book pages (if that's possible) but it wouldn't upload. How are people uploading/placing their logos in books made in Lightroom?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi MissM2,

What happens when you try to upload the book?
          Do you receive any sort of error?

This tutorial shows another way to add logo to your Book in Lightroom :

Add Logo to Lightroom Photo Books with Lesa Snider - YouTube

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?
            MissM2 Level 1

It's just not showing up--it's a .png. I had seen that tutorial--not sure how she's getting the .png to show up.

• 3. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?

you can try to save that image as a jpeg and then, add it to the book.

• 4. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?
                MissM2 Level 1

Okay, I saved it as a jpeg, but I can't drag it from the folder where it is to the book, it seems the image needs to be in the collection the book images are in for it to be used?? -->So I did that, and the logo was in the film strip and still couldn't use it in the background--it won't drag & drop in the background spot (it's not a .png anymore, so how is it supposed to be used as a logo w/o the white canvas it's on?)

• 5. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?

what happens when you try to add the .png or .jpeg image as the background image?

Could you please share a screenshot of your background panel in Lightroom?

• 6. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?
                    wobertc Adobe Community Professional

After watching the Lesa Snider video, I note the 'tricks' and steps to creating the logo background-

1. In Photoshop create a new blank document, transparent ! (not with a fill color), and same size as the book page (eg. 8x10inch)

2. Add your Logo.png (that has transparency) on a new layer.

3. Transform the Logo down to the size and position you want it to appear on the book page.

4. Select both layers (Logo & Background) and Right-click for menu to "Merge Layers". (Do not 'Flatten' -as this fills the background with color)

You now have a single layer transparent image with the logo set to the size you want on an 8x10inch page.

5. Save the image as a PNG. (Not jpg!)_

6. Import image into LR,  (By Import or Synchronize folder)

add image to the Book Collection,

Check [Graphic] to "on" in the Background panel,   

Drag image from filmstrip onto the background panel,

Set Opacity

7. To have the Graphic Logo appear on every page- Check [Apply Background Globally] to "on"

I did note if the Logo is too close to the edge of the 8x10inch page in Photoshop, then some of it is trimmed away when used in Lightroom as the Background.

Transparency and png file-type, are the essentials!

• 7. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?
                      MissM2 Level 1

Okay...I just pasted it and saw what it did. Not what I'm looking for. It seems there is no way to add a logo, per se--you have to finagle an image with your logo on it, and craftily configure its location so it appears where it needs to go in the background of your book images. Seriously frustrated with the Book module. It just seems so much more complicated than it should be. At this point I'd settle for branding my book on the vertical space left of the images--but have put the branding text in the page section, bottom. That's shy of the look I was going for.

• 8. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?
                        MissM2 Level 1

Thank you, wobertc (and @Chetna Srivastava) I've worked with developers in the past to provide optimal functionality, particular-user input so programs do what those end-users need them to do. I would love the opportunity to sit in on developers sessions for the book module...

OKAY! Yes, I will go through those steps--that is the solution...(but why not just create a 'layer'-type capability for a LOGO?! Most people using Lightroom are probably using it for their business!)

• 9. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?
                          MissM2 Level 1

That worked just fine--I'm happy enough with it!

These things would be helpful, since it needs to be done this way (for now): A ruler in the book module so there can be precision placement (you can measure in Lightroom--but then have to visually 'guess' in the book module), and 2--a way to toggle the *print view* so you know what inherent formatting is not negotiable--example, all white space behind the images. I was pleasantly surprised to see the logo reach beyond the photo and footer page text 'frame'. I think that would be helpful..but I have a list of others...

THANK YOU, wobertc!

• 10. Re: How to add a logo to a book in Lightroom?
                            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I am just a beginner at designing books in Lightroom. My suggestions are only things I have learnt from doing and following others.

I agree! there should be a simpler way to make any pages in the LR book module.

I would like the pages to be totally Template free!  By that I mean just drag on images, drag on a logo, drag on a graphic, resize & re-position all to my liking, in a similar way that "Custom Package" works in the Print module. Not be bound by the provided templates!