27 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2017 7:37 AM by twaritar3263062

Language Stock

Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hi all,

For some strange reason, when I go to Adobe Stock, language is set to French. My OS, my profile, my accounts, everything is in English. I am looking for a way to have Stock'language set default to English.

I do indeed live in Belgium, where only 33% of people speak French. I am Flemish, belong to the 62% of Belgians speaking Dutch. I wouldn't mind to see a Dutch version of Stock, but getting a French version is annoying.

Lieve

• 1. Re: Language Stock
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bottom left hand corner of the Stock website - just change the region to what you desire.

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 9.33.29 AM.png

• 2. Re: Language Stock

Thanks, that is what I did, but every time I open Stock it reverts to French. Is there no way to set Belgium English as default region?

• 3. Re: Language Stock

That's odd, perhaps a browser caching issue. Try clearing your browser cache maybe?

• 4. Re: Language Stock

Will try, but I cleared the browser cache just yesterday. Same happens with Microsoft sites, they always suppose Belgians are French speaking

• 5. Re: Language Stock

Maybe a system setting on your computer? I know here in Canada there are two different settings both on the system and actually on the Adobe site. Canada English and Canada French. Occasionally (maybe once every couple months) it switches me to French Canadian on the Adobe sites. I couldn't live any further from the French part of Canada.  I switch it back to English and it's good for a couple months or so.

• 6. Re: Language Stock
                    TomMaene

I have the same problem. Although my CC app is set to dutch, and my apps itself are in Englisch, every time i type in my 'dutch' search term in the CC app, it opens up my internetbrowser (FF on mac)... showing no results cause my language is set to French! (Belgium french that is) Every time I set it back to dutch, using the region selector (at the bottom, like sugested above) but its like its never saved.... Really a pain to search things in Adobe Stock this way! Any thoughts?

• 7. Re: Language Stock
                      EvilBugQueen1 Adobe Employee

Hi Lieve,

The country associated with your Adobe ID, the one you use in the forums, is Belgium. This is why the Adobe Stock site is in French.

EBQ

• 8. Re: Language Stock

Hi Tom,

The country associated with your Adobe ID, the one you use in the forums, is Belgium. This is why the Adobe Stock site is in French.

EBQ

• 9. Re: Language Stock

As most companies in USA you do ignore that the first language in Belgium, spoken by over 62% of Belgians is not French but Dutch. It is insulting for us, Flemish Belgians who are the large majority, always to be considered to speak French. All my Adobe applications, even my OS is installed in English, because there are no Dutch versions. I would not complain if that choice was also made for Adobe Stock, English. It is the same with Microsoft where I have each year a lot of problems trying to get to the Dutch speaking website to renew my Office 365 license, because they send me always to the French shop. How would you like it to be sent to the Spanish shop because you live in the USA and Spanish is the second language in your country?

• 10. Re: Language Stock

Hi Lieve,

I appreciate your feedback and can understand your frustration. You can set the Adobe Stock site to Flemish through the change region link at the bottom of the Stock website, however and unfortunately as Tom noted above, the next time you sign into the site the language will be reset to French. I have written up the issue for our engineers, but as you said this is not specific to Adobe Stock.

EBQ

• 11. Re: Language Stock
                              TomMaene Level 1

Thank you for your explanation. However, this shouldn't even be a 'Belgium' problem ... Even if i wanted adobe stock to be in the Russian language, it should save my preferences! There are lots of great sites out there that don't ask for my language, or any settings, ever again, until I change them myself in preferences.

• 12. Re: Language Stock

Inderdaad, Tom!

Indeed, I always hate it when software decides for me what my Preferences should be, how the UI should look etc. Normally this is not the case for Adobe applications for which I am thankful. That is the reason why I really felt insulted, literally, when Adobe Stock behaved like MS and other companies in supposing that there is only one official language in Belgium, which is not the case. This proves also that Adobe is unaware of the fact that French is not the language of the majority in Belgium at all, and a company should avoid such a situation at any moment. MS is not an example to follow IMO.

Lieve

• 13. Re: Language Stock
                                  danb57438508

A similar situation:
                                  I live in Australia; I set up my account in Australia; my account is set to English; I've tried chaining the region in the bottom left; yet although I search in English the overwhelming majority of text shown in stock images is in German. This is a very inconvenient situation as in my current job I will never have need of any stock images with German writing, but I DO NEED stock images with ENGLISH.

Any helpful suggestion for me to see stock images with English words rather than German would be so much appreciated.

-Dan

• 14. Re: Language Stock

There is no way to filter out text in an image. It's just pixels and there is no way for the algorithm to tell it is even words.

The reason there is more European text images at this time is because Adobe Stock is essentially Fotolia which was a european company before Adobe acquired it. Now that it is more global the English Language images will catch up eventually.

• 15. Re: Language Stock
                                      TomMaene Level 1

I noticed that the problem only occurs when I go search Adobe Stock from the CC app in the top of my bar (mac os x). When I click the small "St" button at the topleft in InDesign, it opens the search in the language of my installation (English). Not really a solution (cause I still believe whatever language you prefer, it should be set once and be remember (cookie)), but its a step closer and might help some people out that are as frustrated as me about the issue.

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 08.02.24.png

• 16. Re: Language Stock

Hi Dan,

If I understand correctly you are searching for images and when you view the images in detail the titles are in German. This is because the image was provided by a German user and that is what the contributor provided.

EBQ

• 17. Re: Language Stock

Hi Tom,

I did write up the issue you reported earlier regarding Flemish vs. French for Belgium users. It's in the queue for investigation and I just reached out to the engineers for an update.

EBQ

• 18. Re: Language Stock
                                            Hong Dejonckheere

Hi EBQ,

I'm having the same problem as Lieve and Tom, as in that the Stock site always appears in French and that I have to manually set it to English or Dutch.

In one of your posts to Lieve (the first one from September, 15) you mention that the site changes to French because the country associated to our Adobe ID is Belgium. Is there a way to change this country? If not, have you heard back yet from the engineers? Obviously the problem hasn't been solved yet, but it would be nice to know if they're even looking into this.

Hong

• 19. Re: Language Stock

Hi HK,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention again. I've reached out to product management for an update on the issue.

EBQ

• 20. Re: Language Stock
                                                janneg85405289

hi,

this is really an important issue and not limited to Belgium. Searching Adobe Stock with English words will always give the best search results. But if your language is set to Dutch, French or whatever language, you'll miss out on the best results.

Please, this cannot be so hard to fix.

thanks, j

• 21. Re: Language Stock

I am more annoyed by the fact that everything appears in French (I am in Belgium) although I have installed the OS in Dutch. I already logged this, it is insulting from Adobe to assume that the majority in Belgium, who is speaking Dutch, has to be addressed in French. They should know better.

• 22. Re: Language Stock
                                                    brdcphoto Level 1

Any news on this issue?

October is already a while ago.  Still nothing changed.  The Adobe stock should remember the language settings.  If I am a designer living abroad, I would like to use it in my language and in the language of the country I am staying in.

Thx for taking a look at his.

Cheers

• 23. Re: Language Stock

Hi Bram,

Thanks for writing, I'll look into this tomorrow.

EBQ

• 24. Re: Language Stock

Hi Bram,

I did report the issue to our product management, but as you know hasn't been fixed yet. I'm bringing it to their attention again.

Thanks.

EBQ

• 25. Re: Language Stock
                                                          brdcphoto Level 1

Thx for that!

I thing something must have changed though, because now it is in English even when I close and go back to stock.  I changed my language from US English to UK English.  So maybe for people who this is also an issue, try to change language and then set it back.

• 26. Re: Language Stock
                                                            zazazu

Hello! Now I live in Italy but don't know italian yet. I can't change language to english. I see only italian everywhere. I can't use this site (contributor.stock.adobe.com) if it will be in italian. Can you help me to use your site?

• 27. Re: Language Stock
                                                              twaritar3263062 Adobe Employee

Hi Anna,

Please try the following steps as shown in the screenshots to change the language to English.

• Go to contributor.stock.adobe.com
                                                              • Click on the region option

• Change the region as desired.

Hope this information helps!

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards,

Twarita