9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 5:20 AM by dj_paige

Drag and drop lightroom previews

parallaxphotos

I came over Aperture, and cannot figure out how to do something very basic - drag and drop the image that is the lightroom preview to another program (powerpoint, for example).

The original file is on another drive, and I am working remotely.  Within Aperture, I could simply drag and drop into powerpoint, and a jpg version of the preview would be placed into the document.

Obviously I cannot use the normal export function, since the original file is not currently connected to my computer.  However, the preview is of sufficient resolution for my purposes.

I do not have a smart preview, because I don't need the space taken up on my laptop for an entire library of smart previews.

My question really is - how do I make a jpg or similarly universal format image of the preview within lightroom?  If I need to export to a separate file, no biggie, though I am sure there is a simpler way, right?

• 1. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
          deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi,

You have to export the images out of the Lightroom , we cannot do a drag and drop.

To export the images you have to right click or Control+ click on the image and choose export.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
            parallaxphotos Level 1

Sorry, I may not have been clear - I am not looking to export the original (I cannot, as it is on a remote drive).  I am looking to export the original. 

My mistake, my title "Drag and drop lightroom previews" focused on technique.  I am technique indifferent.

What I need is a way to [export, get a copy, move, drag and drop, whatever methodology]..... I need a (jpg, tif, pdf, I am indifferent on image format) copy of the PREVIEW

• 3. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
              parallaxphotos Level 1

ACK!  I mistyped that reply!

I do *NOT* want to export the original

I want to export the PREVIEW!

• 4. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
                dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom typically does not allow you to access its previews.

Why is that necessary anyway? If you want a smaller sized version of your original, you get that from the Export dialog box, you select Image Format to be Original, you check "Resize to Fit" and then specify the image size you want.

• 5. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
                  parallaxphotos Level 1

I want it because the original is on a hard drive several thousand miles away.

I assumed that since there is a perfectly fine preview, with acceptable resolution within Lightroom, that I could just use the preview file.  Obviously if quality was important, I would be using the original for this project.  However, in this case, quality is relatively unimportant.  What I can see on my laptop monitor (lightroom's preview) is adequate for my purposes.

Thank you for the help.

• 6. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
                    dj_paige Level 9

You could use smart previews, that is the only way to make this work (assuming you have LR 5 or later). This would work if you can create the previews while the drive with the original is attached. However, if the drive is thousands of miles away, then you can't create the smart previews either.

There is a plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl which allows you to obtain the previews, I have never used it, but you can certainly give it a try. Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin

• 7. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
                      parallaxphotos Level 1

That plugin works perfectly, thank you.

Exactly what I needed!  The preview file was 3103 x 2243, absolutely fine for my current needs.

Thank you again, that was exactly what I needed

• 8. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
                        Jonas Eklundh

Using smart previews does NOT mean that the preview is being dragged in a drag'n'drop operation in Lightroom. This bothers me beyond belief, also coming from Aperture - where I can at any time drag and drop the currently selected photo (which may or may not be a RAW image) to anything, including a IM messaging window, open email compose window, finder window, and a copy of the current photo *with adjustments* is dragged.

It's such a basic feature yet totally missing in LR. And the most bothersome thing is that when dragging a photo - the small photo that you drag *is* the photo with adjustements, not the original photo - so when you drag that to an IM window and you get the original it's really infuriating.

• 9. Re: Drag and drop lightroom previews
                          dj_paige Level 9

It's such a basic feature yet totally missing in LR.

And yet most LR users don't care that it's not a feature ... very few people complain about this in these forums ... so I would say it's not basic for most Lightroom users, certainly not for me.

But you could certainly submit a formal feature request.