7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 4:56 PM by A.T. Romano

blurred output of DVD

R&I Grafx

When making a DVD from Premier 14, the video is blurred compared to MPEG output.

Is there a fix?

• 1. Re: blurred output of DVD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

R&am;I Grafx

Premiere Elements 14 on what computer operating system? What is the project preset set by you (manually) or the project (automatically) based on its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline? See readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

What are the properties of the source media - including interlaced or progressive frame rate? If interlaced frame rate, what is scan order - top field first or bottom field first?

Please confirm that you are working with DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc and not AVCHD on DVD disc. What you write suggests DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc.

What are the Expert & Share details for the MPEG export?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: blurred output of DVD
            R&I Grafx Level 1

Premiere Elements 14 on what computer operating system? Windows 10 64-bit

on a Dell Inspiron laptop

What is the project preset set by you (manually) or the project

(automatically) based on its analysis of the properties of the first file

dragged to the Timeline? See readings for Editing Mode, HD 1080i Timebase 29.97

frames/second, Frame Size 1920 x 1080, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they

look grayed out) Square Pixels (1.0) under Edit Menu/Project

Settings/General.

What are the properties of the source media - including interlaced or

progressive frame rate? If interlaced frame rate, what is scan order - top

field first or bottom field first? The video clips were taken by a Sony

HDR-CX160. I cannot find information about interlaced or progressive

Please confirm that you are working with DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen

on DVD disc and not AVCHD on DVD disc. What you write suggests DVD-VIDEO

standard or widescreen on DVD disc. Yes, I am working with DVD-VIDEO

widescreen on DVD disc. The resulting DVD is not crisp, videos, pics and

text are all stair-stepped. When I exported as MP4  H.264 using the HD

1920x1080 settings everything looks great and crystal clear.

What are the Expert & Share details for the MPEG export? All I could select

is SD 576 or SD 480, I chose SD 480

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 2:51 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: blurred output of DVD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

R&amp;l Grafx

I have started working on your issue and should have my details ready for you by tomorrow morning.

I have checked the specifications of your Sony, and it looks like it features recording in 1920 x 1080p60. Can you get any information about your frame rate?

One quick way is to go to Expert workspace Project Assets and right click the thumbnail for the video import. Then select Properties, and let us know what the frame rate is given there....29.97/30 or 60 frames per second?

Is your goal just the DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc or do you want in addition a HD MPEG2.mpg file saved to the computer hard drive?

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: blurred output of DVD
                R&I Grafx Level 1

Hi,

The frame rate of the videos is 29.97 frames per second, and 1920 x 1080p.

The file type comes in as .MTS. In the properties the video type is MPEG

movie.

Our goal is to get a DVD that plays clearly thru a DVD player connected to

our HD TV.

Our back up plan if the DVD does not work, is to use an MPEG file

connecting our laptop to the TV.

We have Premier Elements 11 and are trying Premier Elements 14 to see if

the quality of the DVD is any better.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 8:53 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: blurred output of DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

R&amp;IGrafx

Here is the plan for your Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit.

1. Open Premiere Elements 14 to its Expert workspace and go to File Menu/New/Project and manually set the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

You do that using the following steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                  • In Change Settings, set the project preset the settings mentioned above. OK out of there.
                  • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                  • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

2. Import your 1080p30 source using Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the source video to the Timeline Video 1 Audio 1.

3. Set Timeline markers in the Edit area if you are to include menus. Use Tools Menu/Movie Menu/ to select and apply your movie menu disc theme. Before you click Continue after you select your theme, at the bottom of that area, remove any check mark next to the option "Add menu markers automatically for me".

After you have finished customizing your menus, click Done and move forward to the burn to disc section.

4. Export & Share/Disc/SD 480 720 x 480

There is no place there to select Standard 4:3 or Widescreen 16:9 for the DVD-VIDEO. But, since you have a 16:9 project preset, you will obtain DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on your DVD disc.

Type should = Disc

Destination should show the name of your burner. If more than one burner, make sure that you have selected the burner with disc that you intend to use.

If you do not see Status = Ready, hit the Scan button.

Work with check mark next to the option "Fit Content to Available Space"

On the Quality Line, note the Space Required and Bitrate readings. Ideally the Bitrate should read there its max 8.00 Mbps (the actual burn to uses a variable bitrate).

Further details are in my blog post to which I have already referred you.

Suggested settings for the MPEG2.mpg export of this same Timeline.....

These settings will give you the counterpart of what you would have used in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets =

HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

Export & Share

Devices

Custom

and click on the Advanced Settings button to bring up the Export Settings dialog

Set Format = MPEG2

Preset = Custom

Under Video Tab.....in the following order

Profile = High

Level = High

Width = 1920

Height = 1080

Frame Rate = 29.97

Field Order = Progressive

Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels

TV Standard = NTSC

Bitrate Encoding = VBR, 2 Pass

Minimum Bitrate (Mbps) = 4

Target Bitrate (Mbps) = 15

Maximum Bitrate = 18.5

Under Audio Tab

Audio Format = Dolby Digital

Bitrate (kbps) = 384

Leave everything else (including Multiplexing Tab options) as is for now.

Have you considered an AVCHD.mp4 file instead of a MPEG2.mpg file?

ATR

• 6. Re: blurred output of DVD
                    R&I Grafx Level 1

Thank you, the test using your settings is a vast improvement.

My wife created a project with the original settings that has the

stair-stepped look to the videos, pics and text. Is there a way we can

change the project settings of this project without having to recreate the

entire project again?

Roy

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 3:15 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: blurred output of DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Roy

Thanks for the reply with great news of improvement.

The Edit Menu/Project Settings/General settings are good for knowing what project setting have been set, but not for changing them after they are set.

Once those project settings have been established, you would need to start a new project to have a project with the appropriate settings. Before Premiere Elements 13/13.1, there was a way that I reported on where, under certain circumstances, one could change the project settings without starting a new project. This approach involved editing the Notepad document of the saved closed project file. But, this has not been possible for Premiere Elements 13/13.1/14 because of the nature of the Notepad documents for these two versions.

When all is considered, starting a new project is likely the best way to proceed. But, start with a mini test run to make sure that all is going well before committing to the larger real project.

Please up date us on your progress as your schedules permit.

And, do not hesitate to ask if you have other questions about the Premiere Elements project settings and workflows.

ATR