9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2015 3:59 AM by Just Shoot Me

Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?

LX100

Since Lightroom 4 could not read the raws (RW2) of my new Lumix LX100, I upgraded to Lightroom 6 using the Adobe Store and activated it with the new serial number I got by email.

Immediately after installation I triggered a search for updates and now I have Lightroom 6.2.1.

Lightroom6.png

I understand that I had to sign in to get the update but I don't understand why do I have to be signed in to use the application? When I start Lightroom, I get this message:

SignInRequired.png

When I sign in, Lightroom runs and I can use it. But if I go into the menu Help -> Sign Out, I get this message:

SignOut.png

I intend to use Lightroom in places where I don't have internet access as I have before and I have no intention to use the mobile or web features.

• 1. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi lx,

Greetings!!!

Signing in will verify the software has not been installed on more than 2 machines.

If someone installs it on 3rd machine, it will ask to sign out from other machine.

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Simply because Adobe has set up LR 6 to have you Sign In to use it. Why they did that is really their business.

All you have to do is Sign In once and Don't Sign Out. If you don't sign out it will never ask you again.

You may find the 6.2.1 update is Filled with BUGS, Memory leaks, odd, dumbed down, Features removed import screen and other odd behavior. I suggest you revert to the 6.1.1 version by following the step to do so give on the Lightroom Queen website.

• 3. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?
              LX100 Level 1

Signing in will only prove that there  are no more than 2 machines having a valid connection to Adobe's server, not on how many machines the software is installed.

What happens if the internet connection gets lost while I'm signed in or there isn't one to connect to Adobe's servers? To me it looks like I can't use the software without permanent internet connection. That is absolutely unacceptable for me and that is not only from the technical point of view but also when it comes to privacy.

And no, I don't want to just sign in and leave the connection open indefinitely. I'm a paying customer and not someone trying to use a pirated copy. When and where I use a legally paid and registered license should not be Adobe's concern. Perhaps these snags are written down somewhere in the license agreement and I nodded at them during install and this is all my fault for not reading the fine print.

What is the procedure to get a refund for the upgrade?

• 4. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?

The connection is not Open indefinitely. All current adobe software requires the user to Sign In with an Adobe ID account. The reason for this is both LR 6 and LR CC 2015 are exactly the same program, same download, same install. The difference is the Adobe ID you use to sign in with. If you sign in with an Adobe ID that has, is associated with, a subscription plan it becomes the CC version. If you sign in with an ID that is NOT associated with a subscription it becomes the stand alone 6 version.

Once you sign in and then enter the serial number Adobe provided you it does not continually connect to the Adobe servers. In fact you can completely disconnect from the internet and still use LR without problems. The reason you keep getting the Sign in prompt is because you are Singing Out. You do that only when and if you need to Move LR from one computer to another.

• 5. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?
                  LX100 Level 1

Well, https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-issues.html states "The Creative Cloud software makes a call to Adobe servers once a day to verify the account status.".

But the hint to the subscription plan seems to point to the culprit. I found a Creative Cloud Free membership in my account I did not know I have. It might have been added due to the purchase of the upgrade. Perhaps this is the reason why my installation thinks it is a CC version. Unfortunately I can't find a way to delete this membership, the only option is to upgrade to a paid subscription.

Is there a way to transfer my Lightroom license to a new Adobe ID?

• 6. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?

But you are not using the Creative Cloud version and you should not have the Creative Cloud desktop app installed, and or you don';t need to have that app installed to use LR 6.

Uninstall the CC desktop app, Sing In IN LR with an Adobe ID that is not associated with a subscription plan and LR will become the stand alone 6 version.

Not that I know of. You can create another Adobe ID using a different email address. But why would you want to? All you have to do is Sign In and Stay Signed In. IE Stop Signing out.

So what if the software contacts the Adobe severs once a day. It only does that if the computer has an active internet connection and it only does it once a day.

• 7. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?

Question:

Do you have an Adobe ID associated with a subscription plan?

• 8. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?
                        LX100 Level 1

I don't have a Creative Cloud desktop app on my Mac. At least I could not find anything by this name. An application called Adobe Application Manager comes up when I start Lightroom and askes me to sign in.

As I wrote earlier: there is a Creative Cloud Free membership in my account I did not know I have and I can't get rid of.

plans_products.png

After a click on Manage plan:

manage_plan.png

I read Manage apps and services, change your credit card, upgrade your plan, and more. but there is no information about ending the free membership.

BTW: thank your for your patience and time while trying to help me.

• 9. Re: Why do I have to be signed in to use a desktop edition of Lightroom?

I take it a Free account is one that is not associated with a CC number. It is just an Adobe ID with no CC info included. That is exactly what you want to activate LR 6 and use the serial number Adobe supplied you when you purchased LR 6.

Other than that I have no idea what a Free Account would be.