16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 10:19 AM by wideEyedPupil

Lightroom catalogue copied to another drive still needing to access original files on other drive…why?

wideEyedPupil Level 1

I created a catalogue on an ext drive, loaded some photographic images from a SD card.

realising the USB drive was a very slow "USB 3.0" connection (but as an online order I now doubt it think it's USB 2)  connected via my monitors USB hub.

so the simplest thing and a good learning exercise seemed to be to copy the folder containing the two catalogue files

file:///Users/~/Pictures/general landscape shots/general landscape shots Previews.lrdata

file:///Users/~/Pictures/genera landscape shots/general landscape shots.lrcat

onto my internal SSD that reads and writes at 1860 MB/s and 1500 MB/s respectively. was faster I think but still it seemed a bit slow.

weird thing is as I'm flicking through the catalogue, each time i load an image the ext HDD is accessing data and the LED is dropping out to indicate data transmission.

so I open and closed both the catalogues with same name a few times just to be sure I had the right version of files.

then I pulled the cable without ejecting the ext HDD and now the new previous I hadn't loaded before were massively pixelated. Lightroom couldn't build the preview, even thought the .Preview file is bigger than the original one 186 MB

when I reconnect the ext drive Lightroom can build previews again. The original photographs were on the SD card mounted the entire time.

what is going on here/ how can this even be happening?

(I just shifted over from Aperture so maybe there's some things I need to know here, I did originally use LR but switched to Aperture as I preferred it a few years back)