19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 10:20 AM by dranle

Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)

dranle

In version 13 and before it was possible to use 16 bit-photos. Version 14 seems to not support this, loading my projects leads to transparency with coloured stripes for these photos. Any comments or help on this - turning every photo of my already exisiting projects into 8 bit is definitely no solution. Regards Andreas

• 1. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dranle

Premiere Elements14 on what computer operating system?

I am not having any problems importing a Photoshop CS5.1 photo as 16 bit .psd or 16 bit .tiff into Premiere Elements 14 project on Windows 10 Home 64 bit computer.

Please give more details as to what other properties these problem photos might have.

Previously I looked at ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: Some Still Image Failed Imports

ATR

• 2. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
            dranle Level 1

Hi ATR,

sorry, I forgot that perhaps important point: I still work under Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, as I did with PRE 13 and former versions.

The problem might be the same as described in a former discussion with the following link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/guidelines-adding-files.html

Note in the above link:

TIFF images

You can add files from Photoshop 3.0 or later. However, Premiere Elements doesn’t support 16‑bit TIFF images created in Photoshop or other applications. Empty (transparent) areas of nonflattened Photoshop files appear transparent in Premiere Elements because the transparency is stored as an alpha channel.

I have no problems to import 16-bit-photos into PRE 14, but it will not be displayed and processed properly.

Is there any logically explanation why this occurs again with PRE 14 under Win 7 and hopefully be resolved with upgrading to Win 10?

To clarify further: If I open a PRE project in 14 with 16-bit-images leading to this problem, and in parallel open one of this pictures in Photoshop Elements editor, if I now save this image in 8 bit, the problem is gone for this picture. Making undo in the PSE editor and saving again in 16 bit, the problem is back again.

Regards Andreas

• 3. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Your results are indeed implicating the 16 bit factor in those .psd and .tiff files for the distorted imports of these files into Premiere Elements 14. But.....

The Adobe document that you point to is outdated and/or not well defining regarding the problem. In my blog post table, I tried to define the situation (at that time included 16 bit tiff but not 16 bit psd in the work) up to Premiere Elements 13/13.1/Elements Organizer 13/13.1, and Photoshop Elements 13/13.1. That work was done on Windows 7 64 bit.

Is it possible for you to send a sample of the 16 bit tiff that distorts in your Premiere Elements 14 Windows 7 64 bit. You might send it to your thread as a shareable link from Google Drive or Dropbox.  I will look at it in Premiere Elements versions to determine if I can reproduce the photo distortions that you are seeing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                dranle Level 1

ATR

Sometimes outdated problems returns... Here is a link to a dropbox folder, where I put a PRE project file, 4 photos (PSD and TIFF in 8 and 16 bit) and two screenshots, one from PRE 13 and one from PRE 14 showing the distortions:

Dropbox - Sign up to view this shared folder

Hope this works!

Thanks Andreas

• 5. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Thanks for the sending, but...

I do not have Dropbox. Can you setup the sending so that I do not have to sign up for Dropbox?

Would Google Drive work better in my situation?

ATR

• 6. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                    dranle Level 1

ATR

now I'm a little bit surprised because you recommended Dropbox yourself...and I have no Google account.

Perhaps this screenshot from my example clarifies further, it is a project with two photos (one PSD and one TIFF), each in 16 and 8 bit - can you see the distortions in the 16 bit versions?

Screen PRE 14.jpg

Regards Andreas

• 7. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Thanks for the follow up.

In post 3 I wrote

Is it possible for you to send a sample of the 16 bit tiff that distorts in your Premiere Elements 14 Windows 7 64 bit. You might send it to your thread as a shareable link from Google Drive or Dropbox

My mention of a sending vehicle was based on what you could send without me opening an account in the sending vehicle. The sending can be setup that way.

I do have Dropbox, so I cannot give you a how to for doing that. There is no problem with me opening the Dropbox shareable link created to open without a Dropbox Sign Up. It has been done in the past by other successfully. Please consider.

Those are indeed strange results for your 16 bit .psd from Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 7 64 bit. What about the 16 bit .tiff that is on that Timeline? They appear unaffected in the screenshot.

I will see what I can do to try to find a Windows 7 64 bit with Premiere Elements 14.

ATR

Add On...I did not find a Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 7 64 bit yet, but I did come across Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 8.1 32 bit. When I imported a 16 bit .psd and 16 bit .tiff  (created in Photoshop CS5.1) into the project, no problems of image distortion.

• 8. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                        dranle Level 1

ATR

The 16 bit TIFF is affected in the same way!!! Please have a closer look.

I do not understand your dropbox problems, you wanted a link, you write "I do have dropbox"...

Andreas.

• 9. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Here is the situation. I do not have Dropbox, never had. Never been a problem for those sending the shareable link with permission pre set. You can send the shareable Dropbox link so that I can open the sending without having to sign up for Dropbox free or otherwise. But you control permissions on the shareable link. Here is where the catch might come in. (I have been reading on this to try to make this to work....Dropbox users with Dropbox Pro or Dropbox for Business accounts appear to have the privilege to control privileges. Do you have one of those accounts?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/5887

In your screenshot, the Timeline thumbnails do not look distorted for Quebec tiff. You have your Timeline Indicator on the .psd file and those colored strips look like what you were referring to. The Timeline Indicator is not on Quebec.tiff....so I can see the Timeline thumbnails for Quebec tiff but not its image on screen.

Let us see if we can find a way to work through the file sending.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                            dranle Level 1

ATR

here is a sharable link, hope it works this time: 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a3upeyl95xqmo0h/AAD2TrHcrVSNoXZdjHTnnlhUa?dl=0

You will see the same distortions in TIFF as in PSD, just zoom into the timeline or simply believe me. Best would be to build a project under Win 7 and try yourself.

Regards

Andreas

• 11. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Thank you for the sendings. I downloaded and imported them into all that I have now right now.

Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit

Premiere Elements  13/13.1 on Windows 10 64 bit

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit

and

Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

I had no problems with the way the tif files presented in the workspace of any of the setups.

They all appeared to be RGB Color and as parked 8 bit or 16 bit tiff. I found no evidence of any Premiere Elements unsupported still color profile.

At this time, are you confirming that you also see no problem with the 16 bit tiff in Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit?

ATR

• 12. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                                dranle Level 1

ATR

thanks for your effort. I only have Win 7 64 bit and there with both PSD - you don't write about this - and TIFF I have the same problems with PRE 14; PRE 13 works well, you've got also this screen shot. So, PRE 14 under Win 7 64 bit is still an open issue.

Andreas

• 13. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

I have been hunting around for Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 7 64 bit. I no longer have access to that. I may at the end of November 2015.

I can tell you that there are no problems with your 16 bit .tiff on my Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit and Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit and Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 8.1 32 bit.

I know that your test results are very conclusive to you as to cause and effect, however we will not know for sure if we can rule in or out the specific combination of Premiere Elements 24 on Windows 7 64 bit. Besides the variable of 8 bit vs 16 bit have you considered other factors. What is the desktop theme that you use for Windows 7 64 bit - High Contrast or default Windows 7?

ATR

• 14. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                                    dranle Level 1

ATR

Thanks for hunting... The desktop theme is default Win 7.

There is another strange phenomenon with PRE 14 under Win 7, that I explored:

In the list of project elements the distortions are also visible, but when you make a double click on it to open the editor everything looks fine. See here:

Screen 2 PRE14.jpg

I forgot to mention, that of course it is not only a subject of displaying inside PRE. When you render a video, no matter which format, the distortions are also in the video.

Well, I guess I have to think about upgrading to Win 10 and then see, what will happen. But this will take a few days...

Andreas

• 15. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Thanks for the screenshot to give me greater detail.

Is it possible for you to send a 16 bit psd which is represented in that screenshot?

Be careful if you upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit from Windows 7 64 bit. When I entered into that arrangement, it was said that I could go back to Windows 7 64 bit within a month of the upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit. In Windows 10 - Start/Settings/Update & Security/Recovery. But, something went wrong...my count of a month versus Microsoft's idea of a month. I had a least a few days left of "my month", decided to go back to Windows 7 64 bit, and was greeted with too late to go back message.

ATR

• 16. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                                        dranle Level 1

ATR

back to this topic. Now I'm on Win 10, but the problems are the same. In addition I took the installation file for PRE downloaded from Adobe, put it on another PC (Win 7) and installed there - with the same distortions for 16 bit images.

Please have any ideas to overcome this! Nearly all of my PRE-projects have mostly 16 bit images inside, this would mean the end of PRE 14 for me.

Regards Andreas

• 17. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Thanks for the update. I am sorry that the news was not better. But, now we have the same setup to compare, that is, Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit.

Do you have any other samples that you want to send for comparison or shall I stay with the ones that you already posted?

I had hoped to find a Windows 7 64 bit with Premiere Elements 14 that I could use for this study. But, not yet. So, it is good that you were able to set up Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit (which I now have access to).

To be continued.....

ATR

• 18. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                                            dranle Level 1

Hi ATR,

Happy New Year and back to this problem.

Also after installing PRE update 14.1, as described I still can't use 16 bit photos on two PCs, one with Win 10 and one with Win 7. The only new information that I have is that I can use original Raw-files (Canon CR2) without any distortions (and of course 8-bit-images).

I hope that you have some new ideas, otherwise I only can switch to PowerDirector.

Regards

Andreas

ATR

you can stay with the examples you already have - it happens with every 16 bit picture.

Hope to get some new ideas from you.

Andreas

• 19. Re: Use of 16 bit photos (both PSD and TIFF)
                                              dranle Level 1

Hi ATR (or someone else),

back to this old problem, of course I had hope for PRE version 15 - but failed again.

Now I tried on a third computer, even also with Win10/64 bit and its still the same: with version 13 the use of 16 bit pictures either TIFF or PSD is possible, with version 15 it doesn't work. It seems to be a kind of transparency from alpha channel overlaying the picture.

So, for changes to my older projects I still work with version 13 and for new projects with another software (CyberLink). I would love to stay on PRE, but I will definitely not go to 8-bit with my pictures.

Any ideas?

Regards

Andreas