20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2015 5:32 PM by larry4545

Making a template for PDF in LR

larry4545 Level 1

I have a nice pdf structure I'd like to keep for future pdfs. Is there a way to just insert 10 new images, and tell LR that these 10 are new images but keep structure of old pdf? Nothing is very intuitive in LR!

• 1. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi larry4545,

Are you talking about the Export PDF in the Book Module, or in the Slide Show Module.

Also if you could please explain about your workflow that you are trying to do.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
            larry4545 Level 1

Yes Book Module.

• 3. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
              Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

So you want to create a Template in the Book Module ?

And for how many images do you want the template for ?

Could you please explain about the workflow that you want

• 4. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                larry4545 Level 1

I made  a great pdf in Book. Started as a collection, then saved as a book-- Eight images, no cover, it looks great.

Is there a way to duplicate it and then drop 8 new images for the next pdf?

• 5. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

So you have a "Saved Book" Collection in the Collections panel. (NOT a 'standard' collection! )

1. Copy the Book Collection- (Right-click -make Duplicate copy)

2. Rename the duplicate Book if wanted.

3. Open the duplicate "Book" Collection in LIBRARY VIEW (Click the name only)

4. Select and delete the 'old' images from the collection.

5. Find, select and Add the 'new' images to the duplicate book collection. (drag)

6. Open the duplicate in the Book module by clicking the white arrow from the collection panel.

If you do not need to keep the 'old' book of images, just do steps 3. 4. 5. 6. (but not as a duplicate)

• 6. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                    larry4545 Level 1

Thanks Wobert, sorry for delay was out of town. I was going to try your steps, but cannot even get to #1.

I changed location of my sample collection / book and LR is not smart enough to update or ask about to update the folder,  so the whole sample I had has exclamation points and had to be nuked.

I imported 8 new images, and saved a collection and also save a book.

That said I find LR to have almost zero intuitiveness and I'm pulling my hair out. 

The "collection", which has the lame double horizontal symbol has 8 images in it, and after I clicked save book, these images took on book form, before, just normal images I could drag around.  And these image bleed together, and I'm totally lost.

Below that, indented triangle is what I thought would be the save book, it has the book symbol with 9 black grey images. Thats while I'm in Book tab. It almost seems like LR is inviting me to drag images onto those blank grey rectangles, but I don't know how - if you click out, you are out. I don't see a way to intuitively drag a image into those blank rectangles. Again, there is nothing intuitive about LR, so I'm just shooting in the dark, very frustrated. I would use another software but I know 100% LR is by far the best, even though it's almost incomprehensible.

• 7. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR

It might make a long reply but I will add visual clues and expand notes-

So you have designed a book and Saved it? It is now a "Book" Collection.

ScreenShot041.jpg

1. (Copy the Book Collection- your favorite PDF design!) Do this by-

Exit out of the Book Module back to Library Grid View.

Click the Book Collection (to View the images in Library Grid View.)

Right-click on the Book Collection Name-   in the Collections panel.

Select  [Duplicate Book]

*Note: "Saved Books" have the little icon that looks like a book! See this next image- (This is NOT a standard collection that has an icon like stacked pages!)

ScreenShot039.jpg

ScreenShot036.jpg

2. Rename the duplicate Book if wanted. (or just leave it named xxxxx-copy)

To Re-name: select [Rename...]  again by a Right-click on the Copy..

3. View the images in the Copy "Book" Collection in LIBRARY GRID VIEW (Click on the book name only!)

ScreenShot037.jpg

4. Select and delete the 'old' images from the collection. (all of them if you wish!)

5. Still in Library Grid View: Click on a Folder to Find, select and Add the 'new' images to the Copy book collection. (drag them onto the Collection Name.)

ScreenShot040.jpg

6. Open the Copy/Duplicate book design in the Book module by clicking the white arrow at the very END of the Book

Collection name. The arrow only appears when you hover the cursor over the collection name!.

***Note: Do NOT select the images in Grid view and GOTO the Book Module- This starts a NEW template!!!

ScreenShot038.jpg

7. When the Book design opens you will have the same page templates but without photos on the pages- Just add the new images (Drag) them from the film-strip (or choose Auto Layout!)

***Note: Do NOT click  on the [Clear Layout] button at this stage as you would lose all the template page designs!

Hint: You can make multiple Copies  of a book design to experiment with changing the images and creating multiple versions of your PDF design. And you can just as easily delete a book from the Right-Click menu!

All of this looks complicated, but done once or twice, the steps will become intuitive.

• 8. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                        larry4545 Level 1

Thanks W. as I mentioned I need time now to re-do the nice pdf design I had. I moved the folder of original images (as well as renamed it), and LR is not smart enough to follow that folder. So that destroyed all my previous work.

There are other numerous things that make my head spin before I can try out your ideas of which 50% will go over my head. This is very convoluted - NON intuitive software.

I may have to come back and ask one mirco question at a time.  Big confusion now that you mentioned collections, in one area and collections in another area, so I'm fully confused with that presently.

Also, LR cannot import images that reside on Apple icloud folder?

• 9. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR

Collections, in one area and collections in another area,

No.! All collections are in the Collections Panel visible in both Library and Develop modules-

Collections are "Virtual", they are just 'links' to your images, they are not 'folders' of your images.

ScreenShot050.jpg

And 'Moving' files a folders outside of Lightroom is a  big NO-NO.!

Apple icloud

You are a Lightroom person now- forget icloud, - a Mac person could help with this type of Mac question.

Have you read cover to cover? - Free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks

• 10. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                            larry4545 Level 1

Thanks W, will check out the ebook, did you write it? Do you have a favorite print book on LR you want to recommend?  Collections and pdfs seem a bit hairy, but I'll try to get my head around this and get back once I get my main pdf going again, then I'll try your dupe steps.

icloud question is important in that I wanted to keep my pdf folders in the new apple drive, but had to move them to a normal hardrive as it seems LR wont navigate to the icloud drive for import.

• 11. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                              wirrah Level 1

You can import from iCloud. Create a folder on your iCloud drive (e.g. Images) for storing the photos.

You will need to navigate to Library/Mobile Documents/Images in the import source panel under your user name

I've tried it and it works fine. But I disclaim any issues I am running 10.11.1 so your kilometres may vary.

• 12. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                                wirrah Level 1

sorry Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud Drive/images

• 13. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR

FYI- The "Lightroom Quickstart eBook" is the very helpful work of Victoria Bampton. Her blog can be found at- Blog

And Victoria hosts the forums at- Lightroom Forums  Also a great forum for Lightroom questions.

Books to recommend? Well the 'Quickstart' firstly,

I have a couple of John Beardsworth's books, Lightroom Solutions – John Beardsworth

I have a Scott Kelby 'Lightroom 5 for Digital Photographers' (there are some that do not agree with all of Kelby's writing),

Martin Evening- I have seen many recommend this author.

If you enjoy watching video on-line, then Julieanne Kost has some of the best- Lightroom Tutorials by Julieanne Kost

• 14. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                                    larry4545 Level 1

Thanks W, going good... only thing, even doing all this, the dupe books default to the 30% zoom which I have to still tediously change to zero to see the image full frame. Anyway to tell LR books to default to zero?

• 15. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                                      larry4545 Level 1

Can't do another one though. When I select all in Grid view, and then try to drag, the minute I cursor to any image to drag them all that cell the cursor touches then deselects everything. Trying 1/2 hour, giving up. LR is infuriating like no other software...

• 16. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR

I am not really sure that I understand the question, and what you mean by your book 'defaults' to 30% zoom.

I just tried a 'Duplicate' book:

Original Book Page 1 'single image' was at 50%zoom.

I replaced ALL the images in the Book Collection and re-opened the book as a Duplicate Copy.

Dragged one image onto Page 1,  it was at 0%zoom.

There is an option in [Book Preferences] to "Zoom to Fit" but I do not know if this could affect the zoom when "Replacing" images into a Duplicate design.

ScreenShot060.jpg

I do know you can change the Zoom of multiple images on multiple pages- if you select the pages by holding Ctrl and clicking. Then click on one photo cell to see the zoom slider and reset to '0%'

ScreenShot059.jpg

ScreenShot058.jpg

• 17. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR

select all in Grid view, and then try to drag,

You MUST drag images to a collection by clicking the mouse pointer ON THE THUMBNAIL IMAGE, hold the left mouse button, and drag to collection.

Do NOT click the mouse pointer ON A thumbnail BORDER! (this indeed changes the selection!)

ScreenShot061.jpgYES!

ScreenShot064.jpgNO.!!!

• 18. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                                            larry4545 Level 1

Thanks W. that solved it great. And I changed to Zoom to Fit which solved that issue. Final little thing: is it possible to drag en masse from filmstrip to the new book instead of one at a time?

And in Library, grid view, I can barely see the selected images are selected, any good technique for differentiation there?  They both look same color grey.

• 19. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR

is it possible to drag en masse

No.  You have to make a choice- Go with the Duplicate Book template and drag on photos one at a time, or accept that Auto Layout can add 'en masse'. You can't "Have your cake and eat it too!"

If your book is small 10-12 pages then adding images should take but seconds to drag.

If your book is large 100-150 pages then using Auto Layout first then changing a few pages is the way to go.

Remember if you create a "Custom" page, you can make this your 'Default' for the Auto Layout- that's a start.

And in Library, grid view, I can barely see the selected images are selected,

I have answered a similar question here- the "Five Shades of Grey"!

Re: How to change grid view gray?

If yours look the same, then I suggest your monitor seriously needs profiling or some color management.

• 20. Re: Making a template for PDF in LR
                                                larry4545 Level 1

W thanks, my monitor is ok. The edges of thumbnails are medium grey when I click on the edge to highlite it becomes light grey. It's still not different enough for me? The preferences are totally confusing and on top of that you say one cannot see on the fly the changes, you have to quit and re-launch LR? That would be super tedious for testing.  Not sure what is preferences is the thumbnail border which is all I care about for this discussion, ( I did look at the link- thread, helped a bit but not much.)  How can I just get an un-selected thumb border to be very dark grey and a selected to be white?