13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 7:00 PM by Jefftish

How to repair a damaged project file

Jefftish

How do I repair a damaged project file on my mac?  After launching Premiere Elements, projects won't load. Even auto-saved versions won't open. I have uninstalled Premiere Elements, including preference files, and still no success.

• 1. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jefftish

What version of Premiere Elements?

Please review that Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects as it relates to your Premiere Elements Mac.

Troubleshoot a damaged project file | Adobe Premiere Elements

Typical questions...

1. Does the problem exist if you open a new project, work on it, save/close/reopen the project?

2. What were you doing in the project just before you saved closed it?

3. Did you move, delete, or rename and files and folders that went into the project, after you saved closed the project?

4. Are any of the source files stored on an external hard drive? If so, is the external hard drive giving signs of malfunctioning?

Let us start here, and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
            Jefftish Level 1

Thank you for responding to my concern. I am using Premiere Elements 12 on an iMac. I am aware of this link you provided, and have tried, without success, to follow the steps to correct the problem. The only thing I have not done is to remove individual media clips. I have over 1500 individual photos and videos. This is not an option for me to try. When I create a new project, it will save, and reopen without problem. I have renamed the project many times with a new filename, and have limited success opening various filenames. I don’t recall doing anything  unusual in the projectd just before I saved and closed it. I usually render, then save, then save a copy of the file, before closing out of the app.

I did not move, delete, or rename files and folders, however, I did notice that some media (photos and video) got “unlinked” somehow, and I had to go back and correct the link for the files to make the offline graphic filler to go away. There are no source files on an external hard drive.

- Jeff

• 3. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jefftish

Thanks for the follow up.

Did you say that you have 1500 individual photos and videos in this one project?

That is a lot of source media for one project. How many of the 1500 are photos and what are the pixel dimensions of the photos.

You wrote

I did notice that some media (photos and video) got “unlinked” somehow, and I had to go back and correct the link for the files to make the offline graphic filler to go away.

How did you do that correction? Were able to open the project to the point where it sent off "Where is the file _______?" messages?

ATR

• 4. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                Jefftish Level 1

It is hard to say what the ratio of photos to video is. I correct myself, though There are not 1500 photos and videos. When I try to load the content, I see a message at the bottom of the screen saying that it is loading ‘rendered’ things, and there are 1500 “things” being loaded. I am going to guess that I have about 300 photos and videos. More photos (.jpg) than video taken from my DSLR. I clicked on a photo and went to “get info” and I see the following for the size: 2448 × 3264. Is that the pixel size?

To answer your other question, to link the photos and videos, I went to the “Project Assets” and double clicked on the icons that showed that content was missing. Then I went to the source folder on my hard drive, and double-clicked on it to link it again. To answer your question about “do I get the ‘Where is the file

• 5. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                  Jefftish Level 1

Further to my last message, the dimensions I quoted you of the photos, were photos taken on an iPhone 6. The other photos, taken on my Canon Rebel T3i, have dimensions of 5184 × 3456. Is this what you were looking for?

- Jeff

• 6. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jefftish

It is late where I am, so I think it best if I follow up on this in depth in the morning. For now....

When you try to open the project, you are apparently opening to the first of many "Where is the file _____?" messages. Those messages are looking for the exact file (type and all).

On the first message, if you have not already, click on Skip All so that you can enter into the Premiere Elements workspace. In Expert workspace, Project Assets how many thumbnails do you have there, 1500? And how many of those thumbnails that were brought to the Timeline have the colorful missing media displays in them?

Of the ones that survived, where are the originals saved? Can the originals still be found at their save location where they were when first imported into the project? For the ones that did not survive, where are the originals saved, and do those originals still exist where they were stored when they were first imported into the project?

One possibility is to open the project to the first of the "Where is the file ______?" messages, and start responding to each message one by one (provided you know where the originals are and you can point each message to the appropriate place). After the first few, the rest might automatically reconnect if the missing files are in the same folder.

Please consider and let me know if I have target your issue details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                      Jefftish Level 1

Hi: To answer some of your questions, here I go: Before responding to you, I did a few things. First, I found out that there was a software update 12.1. Then, I was able to open an earlier file, and performed the following actions on it:

1) cut any of the unused photos or videos from the asset folders. (I right-clicked on each icon and selected ‘cut’.)

2) re-joined any files that displayed the colorful missing media display

3) saved the file, saved a copy of the file, and then re-saved the project with a new file name, just to be sure I had some backups.

4) To be sure, I quit the program, relaunched it and re-loaded the project. To my amazement, it loaded.

- I did get the big window, that asked me to ‘skip’, ‘skip all’, ‘off-line’… I selected ‘Skip All’, and the project loaded.

(Funny thing though, it said that 4 previously generated scores didn’t download correctly and that I should re-download and restart the program. I actually DELETED the 4 scores from the project, added some music from my music library on my computer, but I still get this message when I reload the program. I don’t know why this happens. When I load the project, I do not get the “Where it the file ___?” window anymore,)

5) When I went to publish and share, I selected burn to DVD, and to my amazement, it allowed me to burn a DVD.

The current project has about 300 photos and about 100 videos. (MVI files)

HOWEVER, now I have a new problem:

- When I try to burn another copy, I keep getting a “media not present” message in the DVD Publish and Share window. I have tried 3 different DVD brands with no success.

Is there another workaround? or a solution to this new problem?

- Jeff

• 8. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Congratulations on the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Well done. The easiest route for the copy is probably taking the successful DVD into the burn software that came with the burner and using that software's Exact Copy feature there.

Nonetheless, you should be able to do further exports or burn to disc with the original project.

After burning the first DVD successfully, did you try immediately for another burn to or did you close the project and the program and try to do the copy at a later date - Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc?

Depending on the circumstances, see if you can find the Encoding Files Folder (see preferences and Scratch Disks Disc Encoding) and clear out the content of that folder.

For troubleshooting purposes, if you open a new project, put some files on the Timeline, go directly to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and put the DVD disc in the burner tray, is the DVD disc now recognized?

ATR

• 9. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                          Jefftish Level 1

Hi ATR: Now I have a new problem: My superdrive will not detect any media I put into it. From within Premiere Elements, the drive never becomes ready. When I try to launch DVD Player, I get a message that says “Supported Disc Not Available”. This happens even when I insert a commercial DVD. Apparently, there is no need to repair disk permissions in El Capitan Disk Utility. I have tried to zapp the PRAM, and once again, I get a “Supported Disc not available”. When I insert a disc, the disk image does not show on the desktop,  nor does it show on the sidebar of the Finder.

I believe this happened after my update from Yosemite to El Capitan. Any suggestions?

- Jeff

• 10. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jefftish

Thanks for the update.

I know you said that the super drive issue set in about the same time as your switch to Yosemite to El Capitan.

Could that have been coincidental?

Have you attempted to clean the super drive. I got this idea from an online article on the subject.

http://muzso.hu/2008/08/17/how-to-clean-the-lens-of-a-slot-loading-optical-drive-a-macbook -pros-superdrive

Proceed with caution.

ATR

• 11. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                              Jefftish Level 1

Hi ATR: I just read this email from you AFTER picking my computer up from repair. It was a broken superdrive. After a full diagnostic test, they found that my hard drive is failing as well. When it rains it pours!!!! I will continue to use the computer until it breaks, but I am using Time Capsule so I can do a full restore when/if it fails on me. So for the time being,  my problems are solved.

- Jeff

• 12. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the super drive malfunction and the hard drive problems.

But, it was good to learn that you have workaround plan to solve the immediate issues.

Please update us on your progress as your workflow and schedule permit.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: How to repair a damaged project file
                                  Jefftish Level 1

Thanks for your concern. Much appreciated.

- Jeff