7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2006 9:35 AM by rwaldon

Director player error

rwaldon
      Recently my backup drive crashed and I lost a lot of original dir files for my portfolio, especially my favorites. I have the main director file that opens the .dcr files in a new window, but now left with only dcr files and no dir files.

When I try to use the dcr files on the web it says..."This application requires an Xtra (Animated GIF...) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly. Please make sure the appropriate xtras are in the xtras folder(s)" ...

I have the same xtras as I do on my portfolio cdrom and it does not give the error when running from CD. Only when I use it on the web. Is there anyway of fixing my .dcr files so I can display them on the web or by some miracle, convert to dir file? Any suggestions? Will the dcr files when published on the web look for the xtras folder?
        • 1. Re: Director player error
          Level 7
          You could create a loader movie that forces the download of required
          xtras since you can no longer (easily) modify the existing dcr to do so.
          Add the xtras required by your existing dcr to a loader's movieXtraList
          (Modify -> Movie -> Xtras...) and check the "Download if needed" box for
          all the xtras. If they're published in the same directory the loader
          movie could contain a single script cast member - something like:
          -- #movie script
          on startMovie
          case ((the environment)[#runMode]) of
          "BrowserPlugin":
          goToNetMovie("@/dcr_name")
          otherwise:
          go to movie "@/dcr_name"
          end case
          end
          • 2. Re: Director player error
            rwaldon Level 1
            It WORKED great! That is what I needed. Thank you very much. You don't know how much I appreciate this.
            • 3. Re: Director player error
              duckets Level 1
              Some extra comments:

Firstly, If you need to recover assets from your old dcr file, it's possible to get all the castmembers out, into a new .dir file - see this post:
              http://director-online.com/forums/read.php?2,19916

Second, if your original source .dir files were stored only on your backup drive, then they weren't backed up! A backup is only effective if it is actually a duplicate, in addition to the original! I've seen this a number of times where people have thought that somehow just moving things to a different drive or disk meant that they were somehow automatically 'backed up' or more protected.

Backups should be additional copies, Ideally on a different drive, on a cd/dvd - and in the best case, stored in a different building! I know you probably realise that now, but for anyone else reading I hope this saves them from the same fate! http://www.penny-arcade.com/2005/08/10 (comic strip contains strong language)

- Ben

• 4. Re: Director player error
                rwaldon Level 1
                I did however save the data on both of my drives. Something happened to both drives. Something careless I was probably doing. Lessoned learned. All files now go to DVD.

Question on the director script by Sean Wilson. I am running this script below, but when I do I get a Director player Error when running it live. Says for example: Unable to open http://www.domainname.net/data/project.dcr. If I run it from my local directory on my computer using Internet explorer, it works perfect. Only when I load live on the web. The hosting server is an Apache server. project.dcr is saved in the data directory with the openproject.dcr that includes the script.

-- #movie script
                on startMovie
                case ((the environment)[#runMode]) of
                "BrowserPlugin":
                goToNetMovie("@/project.dcr")
                otherwise:
                go to movie "@/project.dcr"
                end case
                end
                • 5. Re: Director player error
                  Level 7
                  Perhaps you need to configure MIME types for the server?
                  • 6. Director player error
                    duckets Level 1
                    I believe the value for the 'runmode' property is just "plugin" when running on the web, and not "BrowserPlugin" as you have in your script. That may be the cause of your problem.

Hope this helps!

- Ben
                    • 7. Re: Director player error
                      rwaldon Level 1
                      I'm trying it right now. Thank you.