26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2015 4:55 PM by Steve Grisetti

WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14

seand123

I am making a video and it looks terrible.

I have great photos, super high def, no problems.  But when i do playback in Adobe, or load them into the program they get "grainy, crappy, un crisp,"  Looks like a photo i took on my flip phone in middle school 15 years ago.

Please help, this is terrible and hurts my eyes

• 1. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
          seand123 Level 1

Anyone going to help?

What is this programs problem?

• 2. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
            A.T. Romano Level 7

seasnd123

This is not Adobe. Rather essentially a user to user forum. As visitors here we come and go as our personal time permits to help other Premiere Elements users, sharing our knowledge of the Premiere Elements products. Our goal is to help you to succeed with your Premiere Elements projects. I try to see that each thread receives a reply before the end of the day - sometimes within minutes to a few hours of user posting. I am not told to do that. I just do it in the name of sharing. I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way.

The answers are in the details, so please present them so that we can sort them out to gain a solution.

1. Premiere Elements 14 on what computer operating system?

2. What are your source media - just jpeg photos, if so, what pixel dimensions and how many?

3. What are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset (project settings). Please tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (if if the fields look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

4. What is your intended export for your Timeline content?

When you are previewing your photos in the Edit area monitor, is there an orange line over their content? Have you Timeline rendered the Timeline content to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor for what you are viewing/hearing?.

Are video clips part of the Timeline content? If so, please give their format and duration, especially not frame size and whether interlaced or progressive frame rate. And, what is a description of your computer resources?

Let us start here, and then we can decide what next. It is now 1 am where I am. I will revisit your thread in the morning morning and will be watching for your details to start the troubleshooting.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
              seand123 Level 1

OSx 10.9.5 Mac

Jpeg images and some video off of Iphones

I don't know the sizes, i know i can blow the photos up to FULL SCREEN SIZE on my 27" monitor and they look as clear as day but in the adobe program they look like trash

I want to make a dvd, that is the only reason i bought ADOBE.  To be honest i have spent over 3 hours since purchasing it with nothing to show, I'm not very impressed with most of the features.

• 4. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                seand123 Level 1

Yes the fields are greyed out under the MENU/PROJECT SETTINGS/general

• 5. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                  seand123 Level 1

So, what i don't get....

If i look at the video/ pictures in the screen, or full screen mode they look like garbage.

But if i right click on the the picture and expand it large it looks good?

• 6. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                    seand123 Level 1

All the videos and photos for this project were taken from iPhones.   I had a MOAB trip and I'm trying to make a DVD for everyone.  To be honest I'm just really pissed off.   I would like to just use IMOVIE but you can't do that to make a DVD anymore.  So i purchased this program and have spent a bunch of time, teaching and trying things.  But the quality of a lot of the features on this program is poor in my opinion.  It almost seems like a lot of bugs in this program, just really glitchy and not very smooth.  I would really love to just make the movie in IMOVIE, but don't know how to get DVD chapter markers on it.   Just really annoyed, i just don't understand why it has to be so complicated.   When i was in middle school i made DVD movies all the time on my old as IMAC.   I could edit, align, add sound, etc. then just add DVD markers and burn it in I-DVD.   Now it just seems so overly complicated, as if DVD is some sort of ancient technology.

• 7. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

seand123

Good morning. Just starting my day.

Need

Video info if video in Timeline (for informational purposes (See "Video Recording" in iPhone 6s - Technical Specifications - Apple  )

Photo info if in Timeline  (for informational purposes http://lifeinlofi.com/more/iphone-photo-sizes-2007-2013/  )

Project Settings

Details

Let us get the non technical matter out of the way first.

If you purchased Premiere Elements 14 from Adobe as download and are within 30 days of purchase, you can request return/refund. See the following link for that  Return, cancel, or exchange an Adobe order

If you purchased elsewhere, then you are governed by the return/refund policy of the seller.

Thank you for the technical information already supplied - but this is what is still lacking....

1.  Properties of what you are importing into the project. You say your camera is from iPhone, which one - iPhone 6? If so, then I need to have confirmed...

Video: 4K 3840 x 2160, 1080p 30 or 60 frames per second, or 720p 30?

Photos: width and height in pixcls...surely that information must be in your Photo or iPhoto section somewhere.

Why the need for this information...to set the project settings correctly. Just dragging your images into the project does not guarantee that the project settings are correct. That is the short story on that.

2. If you have been letting the project automatically set the project settings, then I need to have confirmed what it has set. We find that out from the Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio reading in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. Many of the readings are grayed out. Nonetheless, grayed out or not, what are the readings for those 4 settings? Between "1" and "2", we should be able to assure the correct setup for the project. These choices have impact on the results.

3. The fact that you are working with video from iPhone (or any device that records video with a variable rather than constant frame rate) brings another consideration into the mix. Premiere Elements does not do well with that type of video. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video into the project at all. The typical remedy for that situation is to take the video with the variable frame rate into the free HandBrake program to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version to take into the Premiere Elements project.

Please consider. Any questions about the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                        seand123 Level 1

I don't want to just return this software?  Is it really that crappy of a program that returning it is actually an option ?

2656 × 1494

3264 × 2448

2448 × 3264

Those are three dimension sizes i randomly selected from  the photos.  Looks like almost all of them are 2448x3264 or the reverse of those measurements.

Sounds like i just need to scrap my project, if i can't change it now then i need to just delete the entire thing and start fresh?

Movies are 1080x1920

12345.jpg

• 9. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                          seand123 Level 1

Just let me know, should i stop using this program and just go to iMovie?

I just want to make a simple freaking DVD, this is so infuriating. 

• 10. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also consider that DVD resolution is only 720 X 480, so you will not have HD resolution .

• 11. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                              seand123 Level 1

i don't care if its hd or not,  But when i click the play full screen on my computer and it looks like **** on just my 27" computer monitor its going to look even worse on the average size tv.   I don't need it to be HD movie quality, but when i put in pictures that look amazing and the program turns them to grainy crap, that makes no sense to me.

• 12. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

seand123

I think that we can work through this together. If you think that you can stay with the exchange of details, I think that we can come up with the best we can with what you have got. Lots of details to maneuver. If you know that iMovie will do the job for you minus all the details, then obviously that is the way to go.

Here are the thoughts...

We need to know the details of what you are importing so that we can get the right project settings.

Right now you have photos with frame aspect ratios of 16:9 (assumed landscape), 4:3 (assumed landscape), 3:4 (assumed portrait oriented).

And, your video sounds like portrait video 9:16 from a cell phone held in a position to get that type of recording. Video aspect ratios are 4:3 or 16:9.

In spite of all that....

1. What you have now is the program's default project preset. We need to change that....start a new project...

Set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

To set the project preset manually, please use the following scheme

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                                • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the one I just mentioned. OK out of there.
                                • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                                • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

Drag you files to the Timeline. Check out how each displays in the Edit area monitor. If you do not want black borders and you see black borders, click on an image displaying in the monitor to bring up its bounding box. Then use one of the handles on the bounding back to scale the image just to fit the monitor space - so no black borders. Can you visual the bounding box and its handles OK?

Do Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview. You can do that in either of several ways

1. Timeline Menu/Render Work Area

2. Hit Render button above Timeline

3. Hit Enter key of computer main keyboard

Please consider and let me know how that looks and/or if you wish to proceed.

Best wishes for whatever you decision is.

ATR

• 13. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                  seand123 Level 1

I did all of that, there was some improvement but when i go to full screen mode it LOOKS LIKE ABSOLUTE **** STILL.  It went from an F to maybe a C-,

• 14. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                    seand123 Level 1

The only reason i got this program was because IMOVIE won't do dvd markers and make DVDS.  SO i paid the freaking 120.00 for this program, but i don't even want to make a dvd with this horrible quality.  It looks like like black squares around all the dark areas, very grainy and pixelated.   A high quality crisp image but then the adobe program just trashes it, what other options are there?

• 15. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14

ATR-

What do you think about having the OP resize the photos to a smaller pixel size?

• 16. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                        seand123 Level 1

all i know is that when i put it into IMOVIE and blow it up to full screen it looks FREAKING AMAZING!.   iMovie is a basic "kids" editing software and it seems to know how to keep the photos looking great, how do i get this adobe to do it?

2nd, if I'm having this much trouble just getting the program to keep from trashing my photos, am i going to have this much of a pain in the *** burning a dvd?   The only reason i bought this was because it stated "easy Dvd menu and burning"

• 17. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14

Be patient.  There is a reason you are having problems and ATR is usually very thorough and will likely figure it out and get you working as you'd like.

Please keep in mind that this is a user to user forum. We are not Adobe employees.

Did you try this?

In spite of all that....

1. What you have now is the program's default project preset. We need to change that....start a new project...

Set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

To set the project preset manually, please use the following scheme

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                                          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the one I just mentioned. OK out of there.
                                          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                                          • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

Drag you files to the Timeline. Check out how each displays in the Edit area monitor. If you do not want black borders and you see black borders, click on an image displaying in the monitor to bring up its bounding box. Then use one of the handles on the bounding back to scale the image just to fit the monitor space - so no black borders. Can you visual the bounding box and its handles OK?

Do Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview. You can do that in either of several ways

1. Timeline Menu/Render Work Area

2. Hit Render button above Timeline

3. Hit Enter key of computer main keyboard

• 18. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                            seand123 Level 1

Yes i did, and it made almost no difference

• 19. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                              seand123 Level 1

Im trying to be patient, i just don't get why it has to be so difficult.  I use to make videos in half an hour in middle school, now i can't even get the dam pictures to work???

This is so infuriating, spend 140 dollars and i can't even get past step 1

• 20. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

seand123

I see that since I was here last in your thread a lot of conversion going on.

Based on the settings suggested, you should have gotten excellent results previewing your Timeline rendered jpeg imports in the Edit area monitor.

At that point, we are not involving expectations vs reality in comparing originals over 1920 x 1080 to end product 720 x 480. You should be seeing a 1920 x 1080 preview in the monitor at the stage where you are now.

How many photos are on the Timeline when you are doing this previewing and did it make a difference on how many? I do not believe that photo sizing is involved in this one, but let us clear that out of the way once and for all. For now, if you continue with the troubleshooting, please just do the project with photos. I have concerns about video recorded with iPhone (variable frame rate issue) and Premiere Elements and would prefer to handle one variable at a time.

The right now to do....

Please right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and set for Highest instead of Automatic.

In addition, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and if you have the following on Mac please set

Timeline Rendering Quality to High quality/Slow speed for your HD project.

Did any of that make a difference?

Do you have one DVD disc to invest (maybe a rewriteable one)? If so, take your Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc using Export & Share/Disc/DVD. What does the playback of that disc look like - remember you will be looking at 720 x 480 stretched by 16:9 flag to 872 x 480 for display after encoding. Those are standard properties for the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD. The latter will help us to distinguish between a previewing problem versus an overall program problem.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 21. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                                  seand123 Level 1

SD 480

720x480 dvd is being burned.

I put it on the highest quality on the slider bar

I dont understand more than half of what you are saying.  Just assume i know jack **** about anything, don't ask questions  that are not on a 2nd grader level.  Tell me very basic black and white what to do and ill do it but other than that i have no idea what you are talking about.

• 22. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                                    seand123 Level 1

the playback on my tv is not to bad, I'm not sure if i burnt it on the right settings but it looks "OK".

Lightyears ahead of the playback on the ADOBE program.

• 23. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

seand123

Always ask for clarification on what you do not understand. I will re-write if necessary. I would prefer for you to understand what you are doing, but right now to get you moving forward in your project, I would settle for you following the instructions given word by word and letting me know worked or did not work.

Have you seen any improvement in the previewing that you are seeing in the Edit area monitor either from

a. changing the Playback Quality settings to Highest in the monitor

and or

b. Setting Timeline Rendering Quality to High quality/Slow speed in the preferences?

I will be looking forward to your DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc results.

ATR

• 24. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                                        seand123 Level 1

I didn't do the timeline rendering quality, i couldn't locate how to do that

• 25. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

seand123

I did not see your latest post until after I had posted post 13. Great news. Great job.

The best possible settings for the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc would be

Expert & Share

Disc

DVD

SD 480 720 x 4800

but I would have put a check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space". When I do that, the Quality Slider is not adjustable. Not necessary. I will omit the longer story.

If you said that you moved the Quality Slider all the way to the right, what did you see for the reading to the right of the slider? There should have been Space Required and Bitrate. Did you see 8.00 Mbps as the Bitrate. If you did, you had the max settings for that.

Please use the "Fit Content To Available Space" with check mark instead of without the way that you did.

Do you have any interest in producing a higher resolution DVD product called AVCHD DVD. There are some catches in the deal. You can produce it with a regular DVD burner. But, it will not play back on a regular DVD player. You need a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD on DVD disc or one of those multi media players that supports AVCHD DVD.

Best wishes

ATR

• 26. Re: WTF. GRAINY POOR QUALITY video, pictures in adobe premier elements 14
                                                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You've got your hands full dealing with this attitude, ATR. I'd have given up offering free help at the first WTF.