7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2015 1:18 PM by trshaner

I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?

Tanja2014 Level 2

i shoot canon and i use lightroom for a few years on a profiled and calibrated eizo CG27 monitor.

i have to say i hardly find an image where camera profiles in LR work.

i usually use adobe standard and tweak it from there.

the best results i get are with landscape shoots and the landscape camera profiles for my 6D and 5D MK3.

but especially the portrait camera profile in lightroom is ugly and useless.

images with this profile applied come out way to magenta or red.

i know i can create my own profiles.... but that´s not really the question here.

i think the camera profiles in LR should render an image as close as possible to the IN CAMERA JPG profiles.

but that´s not the case.

i mean a portrait camera profile should at least give you a better starting point for a portrait shoot... right?

i think i NEVER used the portrait profile because it always looks worse.

i recently bought capture one and while it is not perfect it has some great features.

one is that the camera profiles look MUCH better for skintones (with images from my canon cameras).

now my question is.. i am alone with this experience?

do you use the adobe camera profiles?

isn´t it time for adobe to release and update the demosaicing engine and work on color rendition?

compared to capture one i must say LR is really lacking there.

your milage may vary, depending on your camera.... but are canon shooter happy with the LR camera profiles?

• 1. Re: I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

Why do you even keep using Lightroom? You complain (and complain, and complain) about every aspect of your experience about it, yet you're still here.

If it's so useless, find something better.

And as a Canon user I find Lr's profiles to be perfectly acceptable as a starting point for my images. The fact that we don't see multiple threads on here complaining about them suggests that you are indeed in the minority.

Ironically, many of us (I'm active on the Capture One forum too) find Lightroom's profiles considerably more palatable than the day-glo mess we get from Capture One's profiles: there are pages and pages of complaints about them on the Cap One forum.

Tanja2014 wrote:

i think the camera profiles in LR should render an image as close as possible to the IN CAMERA JPG profiles.

Why on Earth would you consider some arbitrary decision by a Canon engineer about what looks "right", to be the beginning and end of the story? The whole point of shooting Raw is to get beyond the limitations of in-camera rendering!

You want that, you may as well shoot jpeg or use DPP!

• 2. Re: I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?
            Tanja2014 Level 2

i don´t need any advice what to use and what not.

especially not from an adobe fanboy like you who praises every crap as long as it is from adobe.

i asked a question answer it or stay out of this topic.

"Why on Earth would you consider some arbitrary decision by a Canon engineer about what looks "right", to be the beginning and end of the story? The whole point of shooting Raw is to get beyond the limitations of in-camera rendering!"

so tell me what are the camera profiles for if not a starting point as i wrote?

you just telling your usuall troll nonsense without reading or thinking first.

are you really that ignorant or just not able to process what i wrote?

• 3. Re: I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?
              Keith_Reeder Level 4

What makes me laugh is that Capture One's profiles are nothing like Canon's rendering of colours. Not even vaguely similar. If you really want "Canon-like" rendering, you're not getting them from Capture One either.

So the fact is that this is just you - oh-so-predictably - finding something else to turn into a complaint about some random aspect of what Lightroom does.

Which brings me right back to the question at the top of my first post...

• 4. Re: I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?
                Tanja2014 Level 2

lets be clear i don´t want canon like renderings...  i want GOOD SKINTONE renderings.

i don´t shoot much JPG with the 6D or 5D MK3 so i can´t even say if the canon in camera profile are much better.

but i somewhat guessed they must be.. as the LR profiles are just awful.

the few times i shoot JPG with canon cameras i did not notice that it looked that bad.

but even when the canon in camera profiles are awful too ( i will check that later) .... adobe can only fix their own issues.

and the issue i have with LR is that the profiles look like crap.

if everyone else says they are fine then i will except that.

but i doubt that will be the case, from my own experience and what i read.....

just google lightrom camera profiles bad.

Is anyone sick of Lightroom color rendition?: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

• 5. Re: I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Tanja2014 wrote:

but that´s not the case.

This your mistake. The opinions of Canon's engineers on what looks good is no better than that of Adobe's engineers and no better than yours.

You are trying to compare a generic profile from Canon with a generic profile from Adobe and seeing that your specific images are not helped greatly. The obvious fix here is to create a personal profile that is specific to your shooting style and subjects, regardless of the software you are using to process your images.

• 6. Re: I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

Exactly.

It's funny, those of us Canon users on the Capture One forum with experience of Capture One have taken to creating our own default profiles to get round how bad the supposedly "superior" Cap One profiles are. Plenty of discussion about this on forum.phaseone.com.

So the idea that:

a) Canon profiles; or

b) Capture One profiles

are IN ANY WAY objectively superior out of the box to Lightroom's, is self evidently unsupportable by the facts.

• 7. Re: I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The title of your post may be a Freudian slip....

I am the only one who finds Lightrooms Camera Profiles useless?

There may very well be a correctable issue that is causing your results in LR to be less than satisfactory.

I'm using Canon 300D, 600D, and 5D MKII cameras and haven't experienced the mediocre results you mention. I just opened a 5D MKII CR2 portrait image file in DPP 4 and in LR CC 2015 using the default Develop settings with Camera Portrait in both. DPP has a yellowish tint to the skin tone and LR has virtually perfect skin tone with both using the As Shot White Balance. Yes, LR appears to be shifted more toward Red, but in a good way. By adjusting the White Balance in DPP I was able to make its rendering virtually identical to LR's, which appears more correct. So if it comes down to a slight difference in WB settings, which application is correct?

There are manufacturing tolerances for every component in the camera assembly, including the sensor and its associated processing electronics. The Canon 5D MKII or 6D camera body Adobe used to create the camera profiles may very well have slightly different rendering than your camera bodies.

Using a device like the ColorChecker Passport you can create a custom "calibrated" camera profile to correct those differences and more accurately set the White Balance. You could also use the DNG Profile Editor to accomplish the same goal. It doesn't sound like you've tried either option or have the desire to do so. If you can post some example DNGs with your settings to Dropbox than we might be able to assist in finding a solution. I think you may be pleasantly surprised with what we find...if given the opportunity.