6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 4:41 PM by Brett N

I cannot configure Lightroom to autorun from my camera in Windows 10

barryjeff1812

In Windows 10, I can configure Autorun to launch Lightroom CC when I insert my SD card into the computer, but Lightroom CC is not an available Autorun program when I attach my cameras. Is this by design or is it a bug? Does anyone know? Thanks!

• 1. Re: I cannot configure Lightroom to autorun from my camera in Windows 10
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi barryjeff1812,

I think so it is something to do with the Autorun Setup that needs to changed for showing Lightroom when connecting the Camera.

I would suggest if you could contact someone from Microsoft.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: I cannot configure Lightroom to autorun from my camera in Windows 10
            barryjeff1812 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I actually did contact Microsoft but the rep was

clueless. I finally gave up trying to work with him. I suspect a bug or

intentional limitation in Lightroom CC with Windows 10. Hopefully someone

will know about this.

• 3. Re: I cannot configure Lightroom to autorun from my camera in Windows 10
              Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Let me check with my team and update you on the same if it is a bug from Adobe's end or not.

• 4. Re: I cannot configure Lightroom to autorun from my camera in Windows 10
                Brett N Adobe Employee

This is not by design. Basically, the list of available applications is determined by the Windows Registry. Lightroom not being listed is the result of the proper registry keys are either missing or incorrect. Uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom may recreate these registry keys, but it may be a good idea to disable any system security that may prevent the creation of these keys during this process.

You can also manually check and correct the registry, if you are comfortable with that, by looking at these keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Hand lers\

You should see a key here for Lightroom (should say that it is 6 but it may mention that it is Beta). Inside this, look for:

InvokeProgID

It's value should be "Adobe.AdobeLightroom" (note, it may have "64" attached to the end, if so, remove this).

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I cannot configure Lightroom to autorun from my camera in Windows 10
                  barryjeff1812 Level 1

Thanks again, Brett. This did not solve the problem. First, be reminded per

my initial note, that this is Windows 10 and "Import Photos (Adobe

Lightroom 6)" is an available option in the Control Panel AutoPlay

configuration tool under Camera Storage --> Memory Card, and this works

just fine; when I insert an SD card the Lightroom Import utility launches

as expected. This option is not available, however, when you look at the

cameras listed under Devices.

I reviewed the registry as you suggested. There are two Lightroom6 entries

under ...\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers. The first,

Lightroom6AutoPlayHandler, has the keys you describe and others that look

in good order. The second, Lightroom6BetaAutoPlayHandler64, has no keys.

So, the issue is why Lightroom 6 AutoPlay can be configured for SD cards

without issue, but not for physical cameras. I should add that when I

launch Lightroom and its Import utility manually, that it sees both cameras

and imports photos just fine.

This is not a major issue for me, so I don't want you and your staff to

invest too much effort on my behalf. I expect the question will come up

again from your other customers, however, as they move to Windows 10.

• 6. Re: I cannot configure Lightroom to autorun from my camera in Windows 10
                    Brett N Adobe Employee

Lightroom is perfectly capable of working with auto play from cameras as well as SD cards. Really, Lightroom can't tell the difference between the two. Autoplay is entirely controlled by Windows and the only thing that Lightroom can really do in this situation is add itself to the registry. To break down what is happening in the registry, Windows has a list of applications that should be able to handle auto play actions. Lightroom's registry entries both define itself as a possible auto player and what actions it can offer. When you plug-in a device, Windows checks it's list of auto-play options and then sends the information to the appropriate application. In this case, Windows simply doesn't have Lightroom on it's list of applicable applications for your camera. The first thing I would suggest is copying the contents of Lightroom6AutoPlayHandler into Lightroom6BetaAutoPlayHandler64 and see if that changes anything.