23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 7:36 AM by hipolitorodrigues

Adobe Lightroom CC won't open

squeekerd

I've seen similar issues, but none of the answers seem to work...

Adobe Lightroom CC won't open on Windows 8.1.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I've tried signing out of creative cloud and signing back in. I've also tried rebooting countless times. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi squeekerd,

Please try resetting Lightroom preferences. Follow the below steps

1. Quit Lightroom.
          2. Navigate to the preferences file:
            • Windows 7, 8: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\
          3. Rename Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefs to old.Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefs
          4. Restart Lightroom and check for the issue

Also, are you getting any particular error message?

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
            squeekerd Level 1

Thanks, but this didn't work.... when I navigated to that folder I found it empty, so there's nothing to rename. I tried renaming the folder itself and then launching lightroom.... it built a new preferences folder, but there's still no items in there. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but no joy.

Hope there's another suggestion....

• 3. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
              TheoGeek

Same issues here (Windows 10).  I was using Lightroom fine a week ago, and when I tried to use it today, it wouldn't load.  No error message, nothing.  Nothing in Task Manager either.

I have tried everything in the various forums, from logging out/in, to deleting directories, to deleting files, to reinstalling, and nothing works.

Photoshop CC works, but Lightroom CC doesn't even open.

Also found out (by hammering on the "Open" button in the Creative Cloud app), that one instance of Adobe License Utility is executing for each time I try to open Lightroom, and then they close and nothing happens...

• 4. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open

Please navigate to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\

Rename Lightroom to old.Lightroom

Please make a right click on Lightroom CC icon and Run it as Administrator.

Let me know if this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 5. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open

Hi TheoGeek,

Could you please create a new test user with Administrator privileges and check if Lightroom works fine.

~Mrinmay

• 6. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                    TheoGeek Level 1

I renamed the Lightroom directory, and ran LR as admin, and it created a new Lightroom directory with a Preferences subdir and then nothing else happened.

Also, when I log out of CC and try to run Lightroom, it asks me to log in, I log in, and then it does nothing.

• 7. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                      TheoGeek Level 1

It's almost like it can't authorize my install.

• 8. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open

Please try creating a new test administrator user and check for the issue.

~Mrinmay

• 9. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                          TheoGeek Level 1

That didn't work.  I even tried running it as admin and nothing.

Photoshop still worked, but LR doesn't.

• 10. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                            TheoGeek Level 1

This wouldn't have some lame reason related to Daylight Saving time would it?  As far as I can tell, that's the only thing different from teh last time I was able to successfully run Lightroom.  I don't remember updating it since last week.

• 11. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                              themofessor

similar problem here... Photoshop works, Lightroom doesn't even look like it's attempting to open.  All suggestion solutions have not worked.

• 12. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                TheoGeek Level 1

MY guess is that there is something seriously wrong with the authorization step.  If I am not signed into CC, opening Lightroom brings me to the "sign into CC" dialog, and after I login, it just quits with no message or anything.  I see a Lightroom entry in Task Manager, immediately followed by a "Adobe License Utility" task, immediately followed by the Lightroom entry disappearing, and finally the License Utility disappears.

To me, that sounds suspiciously like the license cannot be verified even though it is a valid license because Photoshop opens just fine.

• 13. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                  squeekerd Level 1

All suggestions above have been tried, but none have fixed this issue. I am running windows 8 and I've been having this issue since before the time change. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.... those all work great. Lightroom doesn't. I click and it looks like it's trying to open, I can see it in task manager for a second. Then it drops from that list and nothing opens. I see no error messages and can see no logical reason that the program would fail to open. renaming files doesn't seem to be helping.... I've tried anything I could find in the forums already including this stuff you're telling me now. Nothing's working here.... can we try something else that's not been mentioned before?

• 14. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                    squeekerd Level 1

yes, that's what I'm seeing (and in task manager) as well.... renaming files doesn't seem to be getting us through this problem.... imho.

• 15. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                      TheoGeek Level 1

After doing a bunch of steps in various orders, I was able to get an Error 16 dialog to pop up, which confirms a licensing issue (or confirms the fact that we're just chasing ghosts with all of the "try this..." suggestions.

I think the user community has done enough debugging, time for Adobe to fix this.

• 16. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                        Tasmanic

Same issue on Mac. Tried logging out/in and renamed SLCache and SLStore folders. Doesn't change the behavior. When I try to start the splash screen just flashes and nothing else.

• 17. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                          TheoGeek Level 1

squeekerd, Tasmanic, themofessor, Mrinmay Majhi...

It started working today.  Not sure if it was any of the combination of things I did yesterday, but I tried it this morning, and it had the same behavior.  Then I tried it right before I contacted Abobe customer support via chat, and it still didn't work.  Sometime during the chat it started working.

I did nothing today to change anything regarding settings, catalogs, directories, etc.

You might want to try it and see if it works...

• 18. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                            squeekerd Level 1

I'm not fixed. Still can't log in.... I try to launch the program and no joy....

• 20. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                              Tasmanic Level 1

This doesn't help. See my comment before "Tried logging out/in and renamed SLCache and SLStore folders. Doesn't change the behavior. When I try to start the splash screen just flashes and nothing else."

I don't get any error messages described in the link you provided. The splash screen flashes and just goes away.

• 21. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                                TheoGeek Level 1

It seems like the problem is not understood at all because the same advice

is given over and over again even though people keep saying it's not

working.  Something is seriously wrong with the license validation process

and it is preventing Lightroom from running or even giving any kind of

message as to why it just won't run.

And honestly, requiring users to rename folders and change permissions is

backwards.  If that's the fix, release a script that does it for them, then

they can tell you that "The script didn't work" and you would know that the

didn't miss a step somewhere along the line.

In my case, I have absolutely no idea what happened between the time I

tried to run it and the time I contacted the chat support.  Literally 5

minutes passed where I did nothing except try to run Lightroom, and in the

middle of the chat session, I tried to run it again and it worked.

No changes, nothing.  Well, except for the 2 hours I spent yesterday

renaming, deleting, reinstalling, uninstalling, changing permissions,

sacrificing chickens, etc..

OK, I did this ONE thing, and if this is the problem, it is indeed a CRAZY

bug and I can see why nobody knows what is going on.  I thought the chat

session was screwed up so I closed it in Chrome and opened it in the

Windows 10 IE replacement.  I had to log into my Adobe account from there

to restore the chat session.  After that, Lightroom opened.

So, try that - log into your Adobe account from IE instead of Chrome.

And if that fixes it... HOLY COW...

• 22. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                                  Tasmanic Level 1

I clicked the LR icon in frustration multiple times since it didn't do anything. After a while LR started in TRIAL mode. I suppose I can wait 30 days for Adobe to realize this is actual problem that needs fixing.

• 23. Re: Adobe Lightroom CC won't open
                                                    hipolitorodrigues

Same here.

Win 10.

One instance of Adobe License Utility is executing for each time I try to open Lightroom:

"Complete Registration.

Complete your Adobe ID profile and register your product."

Photoshop CC works, but Lightroom doesn't.

Allways the same case.

I tryed all things. 5 days without work.

Someone know a alternative software?