4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 5:43 AM by trshaner

Different colors shown before and after sRGB export

younggotti

Hi,

I have a color reproduction problem: the colors I see in LR don't match those I see after a jpg export (sRGB color space).

My monitor is calibrated with a Colormunki Display device.

I edited my photo in LR, making some adjustments through Nik suite.

I exported my picture in jpg, using the sRGB color space.

If I open the jpg with Windows Photo, I see a yellowish color cast.

If I open it with Xnview, the same thing happens; in order to get the correct colors, I need to go in the ICC settings and enable "Use monitor ICC profile" and select the profile created by Colormunki.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Different colors shown before and after sRGB export
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly, but some of your image viewers are not. When dealing with color management, two things need to happen:

(1) recognize and use the color space of the image (sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhoto, etc).

(2) apply the device profiles for the screen, printer, etc.

Most image viewers are good at doing #1 but some forget to do #2.

• 2. Re: Different colors shown before and after sRGB export
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

younggotti wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. Windows applications that don't use the monitor profile will render photographic images different than what you see in LR, PS and other color managed applications. This is is especially true if your are using a wide gamut monitor.

Assuming you are using a standard gamut monitor there are some things you can do to minimize the "difference" you are seeing in non-color managed applications. Set your Colormunki DIsplay software in 'Advanced' mode and scroll down to the directions at the below link titled If the aforementioned suggestions fail to correct the issue, please do the following in exactly this order.

https://www.xrite.com/colormunki-display/support/kb5828

This allows you to set your Luminance level (100-120 cd/m2) and Color Temperature (6500K) using the monitor's Brightness and RGB controls rather than just the LUT embedded in the monitor profile. This will reduce most of the difference you are seeing between LR and other Windows applications.

BTW- Using the monitor profile in XnView's settings is the correct way to establish full color management. Just make sure that when you create a new monitor profile to use the same name or you'll have to update it manually inside XnView.

• 3. Re: Different colors shown before and after sRGB export
              younggotti Level 1

Thanks both for your replies.

Actually, I don't care too much about Windows applications that don't use the monitor profile. I was just worried that something could be  wrong in my workflow, that could ultimately lead to unpleasant colors when I go print my photos.

Just to complete the picture, when opening out-of-camera jpgs I get the same color differences between Lightroom/Photoshop/XNView (using ICC) vs Windows Photo. So, as you say, it is probably a Windows Photo issue, and not something related to my workflow.

I was wondering one thing: I created a blank (pure white) jpg using MS Paint. I expected to see the yellowish cast appear when viewing the file in Windows Photo. Surprisingly, the file is displayed in the same way (pure white) in LR/PS/XN vs. Windows Photo. Why is that?

Thanks again

• 4. Re: Different colors shown before and after sRGB export
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

younggotti wrote:

I was wondering one thing: I created a blank (pure white) jpg using MS Paint. I expected to see the yellowish cast appear when viewing the file in Windows Photo. Surprisingly, the file is displayed in the same way (pure white) in LR/PS/XN vs. Windows Photo. Why is that?

That would mean the image data is at maximum level (100%). Differences in Color Temperature (Yellowish = lower, Bluish = higher) are more noticeable when the image data is at the 50% to 80% level. Try creating an all gray JPEG file in MS Paint and compare it in Windows Photo versus LR & PS. Here's an example file you can download:

Black & white printing