8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2015 9:08 AM by Dianzaccount

DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???

Dianzaccount Level 1

I was working in Lighroom and made several edits to one photograph.  When I went to the original folder where the photograph came from, there's now 7 copies of the same picture in there!  And I've got about 50 originals in this folder and all these duplicates.  Now I have to go through my original photo folders and delete all the duplicates.  This happens all the time.  Can someone please tell me what to do to correct this?  The only EXTRA copy of the original photo I expect to see in the folder is the one that I DELIBERATELY exported there.  Thank you! 

• 1. Re: DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

As a rule, Lightroom is not going to create any files unless you tell it to.

Do you really want to be putting your exports in the same directory as your originals?

What are the export settings you use?

Are these duplicates really duplicates or just name conflicts from multiple imports?

• 2. Re: DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Are you "editing" in an external program? (Photoshop, Elements, Nik, etc)

If the 'master' file is selected when you "Edit In" then- Yes a new file will be created each time.

• 3. Re: DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???
              Dianzaccount Level 1

If I am telling it to create extra copies, then I don’t now where that is happening or how it happened, as this problem just recently started.

For the sake of simplicity when trying to explain the problem, I neglected to say that I create a SPECIAL FOLDER for the FINAL VERSION Lightroom-edited version.  That’s where I export my finished photos to.

The export settings?  I just select the folder I want the photo sent to, and that’s the folder I mentioned in the paragraph above.

They are duplicates.  And the duplicates show up in the original file—the file where the photos were imported FROM.  They ARE duplicates.  They’re the SAME photo, but each new version has an extra “edit” added to the photo name.  For example, I have the original photo, and then 5 more copies—the first one has the file name then “-edit”, and then “-edit-edit”, and so forth, until there are 5 “edit” after the original file name.

Bottom line is if I import 100 photos into Lightroom and edit them all (some might have 6-7-8 edits), then I have 100 photos in my original folder EXCEPT NOW WITH ALL THE EDITS AS WELL.  Now I have to go back and delete all the extra copies

Thank you!

• 4. Re: DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???
                Dianzaccount Level 1

I understand what you’re saying, and multiple edit copies are created in Lightroom, but I’ve had Lightroom for 5 years, and never before did I have every version of my edit wind up back in the original folder.  I must have a hundred photos to delete now in my original folder, and that didn’t happen before.  Sometimes a folder will have a couple hundred photos, and then if I average 5 edits per photo, yikes.

Each folder I work on is imported into Lightroom, then, yes, I “EDIT IN”, one of the Nik or PSE Elements software.

As this didn’t always happen, then I need to know how to make it stop.  I can’t keep spending all my time deleting 5, 6, 7, 8 extra copies of the same photo in my Original Photo Folder. 

Thank you!

• 5. Re: DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???

In this case, the "extra" files are not duplicates; they are new "originals".

When you edit a photo inside of LR, the edits are saved in the catalog and the original files are not changed.

When you edit a photo outside of LR, LR first makes a new file for the outside editor to change, lets the editor change it, then adds the file to the catalog.

Go to your Preferences dialog, External Editing tab.

You can change the file naming to "filename - sequence" which will use a counter instead of "-edit-edit-edit".

You can turn on/off the "stacking" so that the Library module hides/shows all the files.

The catch to minimizing the number of files is to minimize the number of times you go from LR to an external editor. If you are not doing much/any edits in LR, after you create the first external file for editing, you should be able to later use the "edit original" command so that no more extra files get created after the first one.

• 6. Re: DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???
                    Dianzaccount Level 1

Just getting back to this problem....

Not sure what you mean by “do you really want to be putting our exports in the same directory as your originals”.  What do you mean by directory?   Thank you.

• 7. Re: DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???

"Directory" is the technical name for "folder".

• 8. Re: DUPLICATE COPIES IN FOLDER???
                        Dianzaccount Level 1

Thanks! I thought, but wanted to be sure. Appreciate your help!

Sent from Samsung tablet