4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 9:05 AM by trshaner

Lightroom 6 duplicates galore after import - help

Renee haf Level 1

i have been working with lightroom 6 for a short time now.  i did an initial import of all of my photos. i have duplicate copies galore.  i have been going through deleting the duplicates but am now realizing it is going to take me hours, days and weeks to go through years of photos and delete the duplicates.  Can someone help me, please?

i am frustrated that the program imported all these duplicates and i had checked the box not too.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 duplicates galore after import - help
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Reneehaf,

Please check the below article for help.

Finding Duplicate Images In Your Lightroom Catalog | Lightroom Fanatic

In the newer version of Lightroom 6 " import Suspected duplicate option" is no longer available and removed. therefor now if you wish to import duplicate images in Lr 6 it won't allow you.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 duplicates galore after import - help
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Renee haf wrote:

i have been working with lightroom 6 for a short time now.  i did an initial import of all of my photos. i have duplicate copies galore.

What version of LR are you using (6.1.1, 6.2.1)? As stated above it sounds like you only did one (1) Import of all your image files to get them inside LR for the first time. Did you do other Imports after that and if so what files were being imported? Please explain in more detail all of the steps performed that created the duplicates.  Did you have 'Make a Second Copy To' option checked in the Import module:

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 duplicates galore after import - help
              Renee haf Level 1

I did one import and imported all photos from my computer and from an external hard drive. The external hard drive did have several back ups from throughout the years.  I didn't think this would present a problem as I thought Lightroom 6 would not import duplicates.  Now I have thousands of photos including duplicates.

i purchased Lightroom so that i could organize all my photos in one place.  This is definitely not as easy as a process as i thought it would be. 

No i did not check "make a second copy"

I have version 6.2.1 ( just updated yesterday)

your help is greatly appreciated!

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 duplicates galore after import - help
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some users have experienced the similar issues with LR6 using the 'Don't Import Suspected Duplicates' option. We need to know what settings you used for initial import of the image files from both the internal and external drives.

1) Did you use Copy, Move, or Add?

2) If you used Copy or Move what folder organization did use?

3) What OS version are you using (Windows 7, 8, 10, OS X 10.xx)?

4) Please post a screenshot of the LR Library 'Catalog' and 'Folders' panels (left-side of screen). It should look something like this: