5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 4:32 AM by wideEyedPupil

Numbered list Para Style will not apply GREP styles to the Figure labels

wideEyedPupil Level 1

Previously I had Paragraph styles for Figures and Tables with manual figure id numbers burn into the text e.g. Figure 3.3; Figure 4.8

I'm going to the trouble of setting up Numbered Lists, not so that I can add or remove figures and tables and have it re-calibrate numbers (that's not an issue for this job) but just so I can have a Table of Contents (TOC) that track the pages numbers for Figures. (Perhaps I should be using index markers for this?)

The problem is that the GREP Style function fails to parse (to see) the words and numbers that the Number List which Bullets and Numbering automatically inserts into the text e.g. Figure 3.3; Figure 4.8.

I had two GREP styles applying to the token "Figure /d+/./d+". The second character style applied I would occasionally swap for another one due to layout conflicts that were edge cases.

With the Bullets and Number I can only apply one character style to the words and digits —not two.

So I've created a composite character style, and applied it with Bullets and Numbering with the idea I will manually override this Char style in the text where required. Unfortunately this character style doesn't parse or see the auto text either, so the Underline and strike through I'm using as Rule Above and Rule Below stylings (applied to words not entire paras).

If I convert the Figure and Table lists to literal word + number entries (Paragraph Panel Menu) then I lose the indexing, the main reason for doing this in the first place. Also I lose the ability to remove the Auto-generated word "figure" from the TOC listing. Seems like Indexing is the only way, off to read the User Guide now… only one index per document where that means I can do it for Figures but not for Tables. This looks like a logical dead-end thanks to InDesign not applying GREP styles our assigned Underline and Strikethrough character styles assigned to number list prefixes.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Numbered list Para Style will not apply GREP styles to the Figure labels
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The reason you get only one style is that automatic numbers are treated as a single character for formatting, and you cannot ever select them. The only thing I can think of to deal with this would be to wait until you are finished with the editing, then use Type > Bulleted and Numbered Lists > Convert Bullets and Numbers to Text. At that point you can redefine your paragraph styles, if necessary.

• 2. Re: Numbered list Para Style will not apply GREP styles to the Figure labels
            wideEyedPupil Level 1

geez these forums, just lost my comment. as it wouldn't let me post it and I ended up clicking Use Advanced Editor which basically went back to the post with none of my reply intact.

I'm not even getting one character having GREP Styles applied to BTW. Totally doesn't register.

So yes, I had considered that. One problem is I want to model two different numberings systems. I can quickly swap paragraph style with Find/Replace GREP searching for text with "8.  Figure Label #.#" and replacing with "8.  Figure #", and swap back as many times as I want. Once the numbers are burnt in that's the end of that. Plus I have the Table to do also. So in order to show the client various draft proofs I'd need to have a document for generating PDFs that look final and another base document to use for further revisions to the document. Boring++ And like I said I think I'll lose the TOC Figure numbers.

I can't even get these numbers to observe the rules anyhow. I have section numbers preceding figure numbers for each section. Section 1 fine. Section 2 fine. Section 3 labels the Head as 3.0 but then makes the first Figure 9.1 WTH… is it because it's in it's own text frame and on another layer to the other Figurer numbers that are inline with body of text? this is tiring Adobe.

• 3. Re: Numbered list Para Style will not apply GREP styles to the Figure labels
              Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

SImply assign a character style to the numbers in tne numbered list in the paragraph style dialog. It is why it ist there, so use that, no need to convert fo text or anything like that.

• 4. Re: Numbered list Para Style will not apply GREP styles to the Figure labels
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No, your GREP style will not see the the automatic number initially and all you can apply to that is the single character style to the whole shebang. It's only AFTER converting the auto numbers to text that the GREP styles will work.

• 5. Re: Numbered list Para Style will not apply GREP styles to the Figure labels
                  wideEyedPupil Level 1

Well Frans, part of the point is that when I combined my two GREP styles into one composite Character style to do what you are suggesting (less convent to have one style I need more variations on for edge cases, but if it works…) it doesn't apply the Strike Thru and Underline lines that I'm using as character Rule Above and Rule Below.

To anticipate your next question, why don't i just use Para Style Rules Above and Below, well in my previous document with this style it worked fine as Figure labels came to me baked in and no major editing of text and reordering issues. So it suited me to use GREP styles as it tracked the exact width of the Figure 1.1 or Figure 8.12 labels which were marginally different widths and would look funny and need manual adjusting. Also each time the Figure description is a different number of lines I will need a different offset measurement for the Rule Below. I don't feel like writing a script for this! But I might… penalties which ever way I do it.

Screenshot 2015-11-03 20.29.29.png <—— good

Screenshot 2015-11-03 20.29.19.png  <————— not good