7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 3:06 AM by davide35240007

Suddenly my Elements 7 is refusing to load any videos files saying not supported

davide35240007

Suddenly my Elements 7 is refusing to load any videos files saying not supported, I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled but it refuses to works any ideas please

• 1. Re: Suddenly my Elements 7 is refusing to load any videos files saying not supported
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is this video? How did you get this video from the camcorder to your computer?

What operating system are you using? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements?

How are you importing the video into your project. (Note you do NOT use File/Open to bring media into a project.)

• 2. Re: Suddenly my Elements 7 is refusing to load any videos files saying not supported
            davide35240007 Level 1

Thanks for reply.

Its a Panasonic however I've been editing for a few weeks now old footage converted from Hi8 into AVI files. Then onto DVDs 10 DVDs later everything was going fine, the last DVD was a mixture of AVI and MTS files.

I started Disc 11 which would all be MTS or AVCHD ( are they the same), I've used this before for wedding presentations without problems, in I was getting quite good then yesterday I couldn't 'get media' in elements without the program asking where the file was, even locating the file didn't help it just rejected it saying format not supported codec not present etc.

I have tried the clips and they load and run in Media player etc, I have the latest Quicktime, I've tried a repair using my original disc, I have tried uninstalling, rebooting then reinstalling but it just comes up the same

I admit that I'm at a loss now, even system restore didn't help.

Dave

• 3. Re: Suddenly my Elements 7 is refusing to load any videos files saying not supported
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're video is coming from a Hi8 camcorder, then it is analog that has been digitized. And how and what equipment you used to digitize this video can be significant. But, since you say you've edited this video before in Premiere Elements with no problem, I'm going to assume that's not the issue for now -- though it certainly could be. Particularly since you're using such a relatively old version of Premiere Elements, one that requires you to manually set up your project.

In fact, try downloading the free trial of the latest version of Premiere Elements and see if you run into the same problem. Current versions of the program do a lot more automatically and are capable of handling a much wider range of video file formats. You don't have to buy the program. Just try to free trial and see if you still run into the same problems.

If nothing else, installing the free trial of version 14 MIGHT even repair whatever was damaged in your codec library, if that is your issue in version 7.

• 4. Re: Suddenly my Elements 7 is refusing to load any videos files saying not supported
                davide35240007 Level 1

Steve, Thanks for your help, I tried downloading Elements 14 but nothing changed I'm afraid however with a bit more thought and workarounds I suddenly realised that my WD Passport External hard drive was the problem, somehow it called itself drive G when in fact it was SDrive F according to Elements how???? don't know so a change to the drive letter to 'F' has solved the problem Phew.

Elements 14 ...... Bit disappointed that I couldn't use it from start to finish without the trial version actross the middle, I would have liked to see how I got on agaist the old version, I'm sure I missed out some good elements (pardon the pun) maybe |'ll look again soon but its quite alot of money for me to upgrade from the version I have been using for some years quite sucessfully, however thanks anyway for the help and advice etc. Cheers Dave

• 6. Re: Suddenly my Elements 7 is refusing to load any videos files saying not supported
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

davide

Great job with your troubleshooting. Thanks for reporting the outcome.

Just in case message for consideration......

Is your WD Passport external drive plugged in all the time or do you continually plug it in and out according to what you are doing?

If the latter is the case, you might consider assigning the drive's drive letter to a letter at the end of the alphabet. But, do it at a time when that change does not mess up other existing projects and their connected source media on the external hard drive.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Suddenly my Elements 7 is refusing to load any videos files saying not supported
                    davide35240007 Level 1

Thanks for that, I actually thought that after I'd done it but as it worked for the project I was working on I decided to delay, however as you suggest I will change the drive letter when the project finish. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. great minds think alike ??? Cheers

Dave