26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 6:53 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

guillaumej14526066 Level 1

I've been working on adobe premiere 13 since a year now and everything was fine. But today, out of nowhere, it won't open. I click on the icon and nothing happens.

What can I do please ?

• 1. Re: Why doesn't it open anymore ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 13? Had you updated to 13.1 yet?

1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

2. Has your video card/graphics card been automatically updated?

3. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer, and are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?

Assuming that your computer is Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit....

Please go to

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 13

and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Folder find the file specifically named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe.

a. Right click and select and apply Run As Administrator.

b. Then double click the file and determine if the program will open to one of its workspaces.

In all this, have you restarted the computer?

Please consider. Any questions, please let us know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why doesn't it open anymore ?

Hello !
            thanks for answering so fast! Actually, I made a mistake, I'm working on Premiere 12, not 13, but I'm not sure it changes anything to the problem. I'm also running on windows 7.

It used to open without any problems, even with the firewall open.

I have just downloaded the latest version of Quicktime, but it didn't change anything.

I have no idea if my video card was automatically upgraded...

I will try opening it as you say, and I will come back to you to give you the result !

Guillaume

PS : I have restarted my computer many times already !!

• 3. Re: Why doesn't it open anymore ?

Hi !

I've tried openning it under Administrator and nothing happened, it still doesn't  open.

Do you have any other suggestion ?

please...

thank you.

Guillaume

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi guillaumej14526066,

Thanks for posting on Adobe forums.

Please check if Premiere Elements 13 shows in the Task Bar and for how long it stays there after launch.

and try to reset the preferences by going to this location:

- C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements

- Rename the folder 13.0 to 13.OLD.

- Try to launch the PRE 13.

Please let us know what happens next.

Regards,

Sandeep

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

Reminder.....you are using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and not 13/13.1.

Resetting the Premiere Elements 12 preferences via its settings file (Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file) would have been my choice for doing this.

But, I think your issue goes beyond the preferences deletion. But, if you do want to rule this factor in or out, my route would be

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then the suggestion is to delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. The important aspect of this approach is to make sure that you are working with the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

At this point, I would probably consider Premiere Elements 12 uninstall the usual Control Panel way, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)  CCleaner - Download, and reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Please consider and let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

thanks !

I have try finding this file but I can only get as far as C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe, after I just have a file FlashPlayer... I don't know why !

I think I'm going to reinstall it and see if it works...

I may contact you again in a while, if nothing has changes... I'm kind of loosing hope...

Gratefully,

Guillaume.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

I'm sorry...

One more question... I bought Adobe Premiere online, so I have no installation disc. How do I reinstall?

thank you...

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

You should be able to get new installation files using the following Adobe Other Downloads link

Other downloads

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

thanks, I will try after diner (it's diner time here !)

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

Regarding post 6....

I am seeing no way you should be running into a flash player file in the route given.

Could you post a screenshot of where you are?

The specified item was not found.

You should be

Local Disk C

Users

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Agreed on up to that point.

Then open the Adobe Folder to find

flash.JPG

In my Windows 7 64 bit, there is a Flash Player Folder in the Adobe Folder, but you want the Premiere Elements Folder (and not the Premiere Elements 9.0 Folder) in the Adobe Folder. Is it not there? Inside the Premiere Elements Folder is the 13.0 Folder which contains the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. The 13.0 Folder and/or the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file are your targets.

May be time for the uninstall, cleaner, reinstall.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

I finally found that "prefs" file you were talking about ! I deleted it, but Premiere Elements still won't open, so I'm still going to try to reinstall it...

thank you for everything.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

Thanks for the update.

We will be watching for the results from the reinstall troubleshooting as your time permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

Hi again !

I just reinstalled the software. It opened, I registered, but now I'm stuck on the first page - I cannot start a new project or even open an old one, it's just searching and searching...

It's unbelievable to think everything worked perfectly only two days ago !

what can I do now ?

thanks...

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

Do you have any evidence of computer updating since the onset of the problems.

Windows Updates

Automatic updating of video card/graphics card

Any newly installed programs

Did we talk about disabling the antivirus and firewalls to determine if an antivirus update could be messing things up?

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

Hi !

here are the latest news...

The latest windows update was on Oct 14th, whitch is too far away, I have restored the latest video card (from Oct 30th), I haven't installed any new program and I have tried launching it with the antivirus disabled : nothing works.

I have re-installed it, also with the antivirus disabled, it didn't change anything.

It won't open further than the 1st page.

I remember having had the same problem when I first installed the software, I had had someone on the phone who guided me through a procedure and it had fixed the problem, but now it is impossible to have someone on the phone and when you don't know anything about computers, it's not simple !

Thank you for helping me, I hope we will find a solution.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

Thanks for the follow up.

Please read through the following to see if any of the solutions work for you to open Premiere Elements 12 Editor to one of its workspaces

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

Special attention to the renaming of the SLCache and SLStore Folders.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

So...

I do remember now having changed something in the hosts file last time ! But now, when I open the new hosts file (after reinstalling), nothing is in it. There is no text. Is it normal ? Nevertheless, I still have the old file (named "hosts.txt"), should I delete the new one called "hosts" ? Will it change anything ?

Anyway, I tried the second solution : renaming the SLStore and SLCache files. But when I tried opening Premiere Elements again, I now have an error message (error 16), saying I should uninstall and reinstall the software !

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

Thanks for the reply.

If the hosts file is displaying as the default, then leave it as is. Close out of there.

If you now have an Error 16 after renaming the SLCache Folder and SLCache Folder, get rid of the renamed folders so that you revert back to the original, that is, deleted the SLCacheOLD Folder and SLStoreOLD Folder so that you just see the original folders which were still there after the renaming technique.

Please go to

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

OOBE

PDApp

core

and in the core Folder find the file named PDapp.exe (that is the Adobe Application Manager). Double click that file to determine if it opens to the Adobe Application Manager and if has anything that it wants you to update. Is so, let it.

Please consider and let us know the outcome as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

OK, I did as you told me.

I put everything back in place and downloaded the upgrade.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't open...

If the software really doesn't work anymore, do you think there is a possibility to replace it ?

I'm still willing to try any other idea you might have...

Thank you.

GJ.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

Something else came up...

I just re-opened the adobe Application Manager and while it was installing the upgrade (I guess) it told me there was an error  (error A12E6) - could it be related to my problem with Premiere Elements ?

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

The Adobe Application Manager has been implicated in a lot of Premiere Elements issues.

So we need to rule in or out it as a factor.

You say that when you go to open the Adobe Application Manager (also known as the PDapp.exe), you get an error A12E6. I have never run into that before

Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager

Looking forward to your results. Please do not give up yet.

Thank you.

ATR

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

So...

The error message appeared when I clicked on the shortcut icon to the App Manager, but then I clicked on the PDapp.exe, and the message didn't appear and everything was fine...

Anyway, I went on the link you gave me and downloaded the ApplicationManager9.0_all.exe and opened it.

(I now have a folder on my desktop and I don't know what to do with it.)

I don't really know what it did... but my video editor still won't open.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

What happened when you downloaded the Application Manager9.0_all.exe and double clicked it?

Did the instructions that followed take you to the updating Application Manager dialog where you saw a progress bar showing the updating progress?

When you tried to use the program after that, did the problems still exist?

ATR

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

When I clicked on PDapps.exe everything happened as you said : I could download an upgrade, so I did.

It's just after doing all that, on my desktop I saw a shortcut to the Application Manager and when I clicked to open it there came the error message. But When I returned to the .exe file and opened the application again, everything was fine. Nothing really important I guess...

Now, I going to try to go back to a previous Microsoft update (if I find out where to look !) and see if anything changes.

I also have the possibility to install PE 12 on my other computer and install PE 14 (that I just bought) on this computer to see if it works better. But I can't do it right now because it takes some time (that I don't really have) and then I'm going away for a week - so maybe when I come back.

I'll keep you in touch.

Thanks.

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch

OK, so I re configurated my computer to the latest Windows update and PE12 works !

I'm just worried the problem will come up again at the next update.

I also tried to upgrade the software with the application manager but it just keeps searching and nothing more happens...

Anyway, problem solved... for now.

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 13 does not launch
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

guillaumej

Thanks for the follow up and especially for the great news "...problem solved..."

You did a great job of staying with the Premiere Elements 12  troubleshooting and working through the issues along the way.

I do not recall if it got mentioned previously....there is an Adobe 12.1 Update for 12 which is accessed in an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

One of the major perks of the 12.1 Update is that it fixes a text styles issue that exists only in the Expert workspace. If you do a lot of text styles work, you may want to update to 12.1 or else just do text styles in the Quick workspace. There are other less obvious perks that come with 12.1.

But, for now, with the program working, please determine if you have a consistently stable program.

Best wishes

ATR