26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 12:12 PM by mikeklar

what to do with samsung 950

coonasty Level 1

looks like my new m2 drive will be in tomorrow (samsung 950pro 512meg).  plan is to reinstall windows and progs on it as boot drive.  move the current os drive (512meg 840pro) along with a 2nd one to a raid 0 for cache and previews using my areca 1882ix.  have a big raid 6 for exports and data storage also on the areca.

best route to go?  any way to use the throughput on the m2 more efficiently?  i also have a 256meg 850pro sitting around if that can fit into equation.  TIA

• 1. Re: what to do with samsung 950
          cc_merchant Level 4

See New System Build  for suggestions.

• 2. Re: what to do with samsung 950
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Yes, I my opinion do not waste it as a boot/applications drive.  You will not see any improvement with Premiere.  Once Widows and Premiere are loaded they are essentially memory resident.  Use it for the project and media files.

• 3. Re: what to do with samsung 950
              coonasty Level 1

yeah read the new system guide the day it came out.  pretty much why i was going to make it my boot drive in agreement with that.  but wanted to hear what some others were thinking other than a link...on that new samsung now that its available. 

bill would taking into consideration that im in photoshop, lightroom, resolve, after effects, and cinema 4d  as much as pp make change your mind to think the m2 should be boot/progs?

thanks much for ur input

• 4. Re: what to do with samsung 950

Are you running multiple application simultaneously?  How much RAM do you have?  I doubt it would change my mind.  I do many times run Photoshop with Premiere but I do have 64 GB of RAM on my big system.  Have you seen my scores on PPBM testing?  I do not get my Samsung 950 PRO until Thursday but I do not expect the 950 PRO to be any better than my current SM951--time will tell!

• 5. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                  coonasty Level 1

yeah 64gig as well.  usually pp and ae are open together.  then photoshop and lightroom will be open together.  i try close everything when in cinema 4d or resolve. 

• 6. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                    cvid01 Level 4

Did you get and install your 950 SSD? Curious to hear about any heat problems.

• 7. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                      coonasty Level 1

got it but emergency with a client popped up and had to fix it first.  hopefully this afternoon i can do the install

• 8. Re: what to do with samsung 950

Mine arrives in a couple of hours.  I have my x99 motherboard laying on my test bench so it was simple to add a fan to the test setup for my SM951.  I will make sure it has good airflow when I install in a chassis.  I will treat the 950 Pro the same way. 

• 9. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                          coonasty Level 1

i just started pulling pc apart.  going to do the 950 as the boot drive and raid 0 the 2 840 pro's.  going to see what that runs like.  more than likely ill end up ordering some 850 pros and building a raid 3 to add to the system.  being this is my bread and butter i want to compete with you speed freaks over at ppbm7. 

also its ironic that most of harms parts that he put on the site for his new system build is close to what i had built.  

• 10. Re: what to do with samsung 950

Well a little over an hour ago my 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro arrived.  Hear is the good news it works great!

Samsung 950 Pro.png

Compare to 512 GB Samsung SM951

Next step run a real application test our PPBM9 with CC2015 and the export time of the Disk I/O

950 Pro = 25 seconds (only one run so far)

SM951 = 24 seconds (average of 15 runs, the plus and minus 1 seconds comes into play)

The apparent cons

1.  My BIOS on my X99-E-WS has a NVMe mode but it did not recognize the Samsung 950 PRO

2.  I have been using Speccy to monitor the SMART info such as temperature, it claims SMART is not availble

950 PRO Speccy.png

Since it does work good for my Premiere write export features and has great reading speed and comes with a 5-year warranty I do like it.  It is so fast that no longer do you need a pile of hard drives to get the bandwidth to have a good smooth editing system.  Right now my system has one SATA III 6 Gb/s SATA OS/Application drive and all the Project files on the motherboard M.2 drive.  The Speccy picture above does also show the SM951 on the ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 in the system, but for some reason it does not like that implementation and the performance drops to less than half the speeds achieved in the motherboard M.2 connector .  I was hoping to essentially have a total of I TB of user space.  I am working with ASUS on that problem.

Edit:  After fighting the problem for weeks including talking to ASUS support and ending up with a motherboard RMA, now I accidentally discovered a BIOS setting and now I have both the SM951 and 950 PRO running at full speed simultaneously via a PCIe adapter card to the M.2 x4 with the second M.2 SSD.  While they are different animals I may just try RAID 0 with them.

• 11. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                              cvid01 Level 4

Thanks for the info.

1. What BIOS setting did you discover?

2. One site mentions the heat issue and had a fan directly on the SSD [Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review - Page 3 of 11 - Legit ReviewsSamsung SSD 950 Pro Heat Throttling Due…] Did you encounter any heat issues?

• 12. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                JFPhoton Level 3

.....wow......looking forward to this RAID experiment of yours and the result !!    Is there any heat issue, as asked by cvid ?

• 13. Re: what to do with samsung 950

Sorry I did not mention it in the BIOS Advanced/ PCH Storage Configuration there is an item "Hyper kit mode" needs to be enabled

My RAID experiment produced lousy results possibly because I do not have two of the same SSD's, I have one SM951 and one 950 Pro.  There are published results on the web

I have noticed they are hot but a simple fan passing air in their direction and I have not witnessed any thermal throttling.

• 14. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                    cvid01 Level 4

Thanks for the info. Have you tried using the 950 SSD in the M.2 socket?

And if not, why not?

• 15. Re: what to do with samsung 950

It works great as expected.  But still no recognition in the NVMe BIOS.

• 16. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                        coonasty Level 1

finally getting a chance to update...

i have 950 in m2 slot on board and installed win 8.1 on it.  runs good as far as no problems now that its installed.  i did have to remove all drives except dvd and the 950 to get it to boot to the dvd to get windows to install.  then was a bit of a pain to get bios to boot to the 950 once i added raid card and other drives.  but once bios finally decided to quit changing boot order on its own, seems to be fine.

getting advertised speeds in testing.  have not noticed the thermal slowdowns.  but do have to say that i dont notice in "real world working" that the computer runs any faster with it as the os drive as opposed to when i had an 840 pro or an 850 pro as my os drive.

device manager shows 950 auto installed as nvme without me having to do anything in bios.  samsung does have an updated driver for it but im scared to install it being the microsoft driver seems to be fine.  waiting to see if others have installed the driver and noticed improvements or the possible instability it could bring. 

like i said all in all no blue screens so far.  rock solid since install.  Bill probably on to something when he says not worth wasting the speed it brings on it being the os/apps drive.  though i have not installed all my programs quite yet and havent gone into any of my big editing projects quite yet.  will report if this changes when i really get to play with it this weekend. 

• 17. Re: what to do with samsung 950

Hey guys, after much frustration I finally got the next level of performance from my SM951 and 950 PRO 512 GB to work in RAID 0 (striped).  How do you like this 1TB (almost) SSD:

SM951+950 PRO-RAID0.png

Two 950 PRO's would be slightly better

• 18. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                            coonasty Level 1

that is unreal for only 2 drives

• 19. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                              cvid01 Level 4

What's your motherboard?

• 20. Re: what to do with samsung 950

Asus X99-E WS but you might be more satisfied with something less expensive, there are some quirks because of the PCIe extenders

• 21. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                                  cvid01 Level 4

Thanks. I am also wondering the kind of motherboard coonasty is using. I am currently using a Sabertooth X99 with a 5960x CUP, 64 GB RAM and was thinking about getting the 950 Pro to install in the M.2 socket, but was concerned about heat issues. I already have my system files on the Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

• 22. Re: what to do with samsung 950

I would not worry about heat because of the built-in throttling and for editing it is a non-issue.  It is just with heavy write operations.  You might look at your computer to see if there will be some air flow across it, I have a small fan that passes air over it.

• 23. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                                      coonasty Level 1

i have the x99e ws/3.1 board.  no thermal throttling issues that i notice.  runs fine as if its a 850 pro.  like i said i dont notice the difference at all of having this as my os/apps drive as opposed to my previous 850 pro. 

saw on another forum that someone else installed their 950 as OS/apps drive and tested speed with microsoft nvme driver and then after installing samsung's nvme driver.  it actually took a little performance hit installing the samsung driver so im leaving mine with the default microsoft driver.

im sure later revisions will increase performance eventually

• 24. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                                        2drumstix Level 1

Thought I'd chime in and give my 2c with the 950 Pro for those curious. I've just finished building my new editing PC in the last two weeks; 5960x, Win 8.1, Asus x99 deluxe, Evga gtx980 superclock, 64g dominator 2800 memory, corsair h110i water cooler, SSD 850 Pro for OS, three 4TB WD blacks in RAID 5 for backups, and a new 512g m.2 950 Pro as my current project drive, in a Corsair 750D case. I'm putting all media, project folder, and cache on it for the project in current editing mode, and it is working great. So far not even the slightest hiccup with multi-cam sequences, sometimes heavy effects, Magic Bullet Suite and Pixelan, lots of transitions, and multiple tracks of audio. It may be that the days of having to use one HDD each to separate out media, cache and project folders is over.  

• 25. Re: what to do with samsung 950

2drumstix wrote:. It may be that the days of having to use one HDD each to separate out media, cache and project folders is over.  

Thank you for seconding my thoughts exactly,  I am even thinking of a neat couple of pound ultrabook with only one 1 TB SSD M.2 that could handle everything.  If you have registered at ppbm7.com you can see my outstanding results with the only a 850 Pro boot drive and a SM951 Project drive, it currently is the third place entry..

• 26. Re: what to do with samsung 950
                                                            mikeklar Level 1

Bill

I’ve been following this thread with interest.  Now it appears we “poor” Canadians will finally gain access to Samsung’s 950 M.2 Pro 512GB SSD, without having to struggle with customs and duties, etc.  I expect to receive mine during the second week of December.

Regarding your conclusion on portable single drive Ultrabook editing machine may still be a bit of a dream, if not a major compromise when it comes to intensive editing.  Notwithstanding, I’d love to have one, just to accommodate travelling portability and editing small clips while on the road.  Having tried luggable computers these are still a compromise, possibly even more so than what you’re noting.  Of course it all depends on what and how it’s being used, but in no way have I found them to come clos to or be a possible replacement for my existing workstation.

Sticking with what I have, i.e. a kluge consisting of an ASUS x99E WS/USB 3.1, i7-5930K, 64GB RAM in an existing CoolerMaster tower with an old ARECA-ARC-8018 RAID card, including an array of HDs and SSDs, both internal and external.  My workload and archiving requirements make it hard to get my head around how to downsize.

Also, when it comes to crunching power I’m not impressed with what I’ve put together so far.  I.e. the previous setup consisted of a Rampage III Extreme and an i-7 990x CPU, which performed equally well to what I have now when rendering in spite of less RAM and slower PCIe.  Hopefully, that will change when I get time to tweak the system, something my workload has not allowed me to do so far.

On the latter, I may be contacting you through PPBM6 for some help.