3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 12:22 PM by edbiggs

InDesign CC defaults?

edbiggs

I don't recall "show frame edges" as a default in past versions of InDesign and I haven't been able to find a way to change that default.

Designers do not draw rectangles around elements as they design, so what is the point of starting every document with this "feature" turned on?

Designers need to see the actual design as it will be seen by the audience and that does not include the containing boxes.

Yes, I can change that default to "hide frame edges", but really, what's the point. If there is a way to change this default, please speak up.

• 1. Re: InDesign CC defaults?
          smoothsea Level 3

Hi,

Close all open documents, then under the View menu, select Extras>Hide Frame Edges.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 2. Re: InDesign CC defaults?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You already know how to change it. Select Hide Frame Edges from the menu with nothing open.

When there are multiple possible states for a parameter, one of them must be set as a default, and not everyone is going to like that choice, which is why you have the option to personalize your prefs and change it. As a designer I have to strongly disagree with your assertion that designers have no need to see frame edges. You be surprised at how many empty frames I see cluttering up other users work and how much trouble they can cause.

• 3. Re: InDesign CC defaults?
              edbiggs Level 1

Thank you Malcolm.

And to Peter.

Peter, I didn't mean I don't want to be able to see the containers sometimes, I just don't want to start off every document with the frames turned on. Yes I do check for stray frames before sending a doc off.