3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 1:23 PM by dj_paige

Can you locate missing image files if the file was deleted and recovered under a new filename to salvage collection sets, labels and ratings from the original catalog?

silvercamps Level 1

The image files linked to a catalog were mistakenly deleted. The catalog still contains the preview, labels and ratings but of course the files are gone. We were able to recover the deleted files, but the data recovery software gave the files new filenames. We have image files, but would really like to sync it with the original library to salvage collection sets, labels and ratings. There are nearly 30,000 image files, thus going through them one by one would take some time. The recovered image files still contain the metadata like capture time, camera, etc.)

Is there anyway to sync the original catalog that lost the actually file with the recovered image files containing new/different filenames  in order to salvage the collection sets, labels and ratings on a large scale. I know I could go one by one and find the actual image and reconnect them to the original catalog, just trying to save some time if possible. Thx!

• 1. Re: Can you locate missing image files if the file was deleted and recovered under a new filename to salvage collection sets, labels and ratings from the original catalog?
          dj_paige Level 9

The image files linked to a catalog were mistakenly deleted.

Can you restore the images from their backups?

Is there anyway to sync the original catalog that lost the actually file with the recovered image files containing new/different filenames  in order to salvage the collection sets, labels and ratings on a large scale. I know I could go one by one and find the actual image and reconnect them to the original catalog, just trying to save some time if possible. Thx!

Are the capture date and time in the recovered files present and correct? This would make things somewhat easier, you would at least be able to limit the problem to finding the file with the proper capture date and time. But I don't know of any particular way to avoid doing this one by one. When files are renamed outside of Lightroom, this is the most destructive thing that can happen to your catalog, other than losing it entirely.

• 2. Re: Can you locate missing image files if the file was deleted and recovered under a new filename to salvage collection sets, labels and ratings from the original catalog?
            silvercamps Level 1
            Can you restore the images from their backups?

If you are referring to back-ups of the image files, they weren't backed up yet. If you are referring to the backup of the Lightroom Catalog, I am not sure.

Are the capture date and time in the recovered files present and correct? This would make things somewhat easier, you would at least be able to limit the problem to finding the file with the proper capture date and time. But I don't know of any particular way to avoid doing this one by one. When files are renamed outside of Lightroom, this is the most destructive thing that can happen to your catalog, other than losing it entirely.

The capture date and time are present and correct (matching the original catalog the files were linked too). Recognizing that the the metadata was still present in both the previews and the reconstructed image files is what gave me the idea that something to simplify the process may be possible.

• 3. Re: Can you locate missing image files if the file was deleted and recovered under a new filename to salvage collection sets, labels and ratings from the original catalog?
              dj_paige Level 9

If you are referring to back-ups of the image files, they weren't backed up yet. If you are referring to the backup of the Lightroom Catalog, I am not sure.

Yes, that's exactly what I am referring to. If you're going to be working on 30,000 photos, it would seem to be a good idea to make sure you have backups of both the photos and the catalog file. In fact, in my opinion, making sure the backups exist properly ought to be mandatory, not an afterthought.

The capture date and time are present and correct (matching the original catalog the files were linked too). Recognizing that the the metadata was still present in both the previews and the reconstructed image files is what gave me the idea that something to simplify the process may be possible.

As far as I know, there is no way to match these up automatically and then rename. Perhaps there is a plug-in available to do this, but I am not aware of one. Perhaps you could write such a plug-in (or pay someone else to do this).