6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 5:06 AM by rob day

Show actual custom setting in print dialog, not "Custom

JSNelsonKC

InDesign CC 2015 - Several custom print settings (multiple printers, some duplex, some simplex, some color, some grayscale).

Print dialog box only shows "Custom" setting - not what specific custom setting is selected.

How do I get it to show the specific custom setting for the document I'm printing?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Show actual custom setting in print dialog, not "Custom
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you have saved the custom settings as a print preset you should be able to select it from the Print Preset dropdown in the print dialog and have it show.

• 2. Re: Show actual custom setting in print dialog, not "Custom
            JSNelsonKC Level 1

Hello, Mr. Spier, and thank you for taking time to respond.

I have custom settings—a number of them across our enterprise—but now that we’re working in the Cloud, it takes much longer for the connection to be made to wherever it goes before it shows the options available. I know what they are because I created them, but I change printers throughout the day, depending on what’s being printed, and for whom. Pre-Cloud work on previous versions was so much faster, and it’s quite frustrating.

Since I can print to multiple printers across our enterprise (and they are on different floors in our block-long building) and have grayscale/color/duplex/simplex settings at each printer, I want to see that it will print in my own area of our complex rather than printing a block away on another printer.

I cannot tell what printer it’s set to without clicking in that top section where “Custom” shows, and even then it does not show me what one was set...only my list. So then it takes another annoying period of time to change to that setting, even if that happens to be the setting it that was already chosen.

Perhaps I’ve become lazy in my old age, but a “click-and-see-right-now” response time was the norm before moving to The Cloud. MSOffice has slowed tremendously, too, and our move to Office 365 will soon be complete. I don’t call that “progress.”

Thanks again for taking time to answer my question.

Jill in Royals-crazed Kansas City

• 3. Re: Show actual custom setting in print dialog, not "Custom

If you use File > Print Presets > and choose one, it will show up as Custom in the print dialog. HOWEVER, if you use the presets dropdown IN THE PRINT DIALOG itself, you will see the name of every preset you've defined, and it will stick after you select one.

• 4. Re: Show actual custom setting in print dialog, not "Custom
                JSNelsonKC Level 1

Thanks...I understand that.

I want the one that is CURRENTLY SELECTED TO SHOW rather than the word “CUSTOM,” and I have found no way to make it do that.

Even Microsoft managed to get that right—including whether or not it will print duplex or simplex, color or grayscale.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Show actual custom setting in print dialog, not "Custom

It certainly doesn't seem like you understand what I'm saying. You need to choose your custom preset from the dropdown in the print dialog...

Select Custom Print Preset.png

• 6. Re: Show actual custom setting in print dialog, not "Custom
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I want the one that is CURRENTLY SELECTED TO SHOW rather than the word “CUSTOM,” and I have found no way to make it do that.

The Print dialog settings are sticky. So if you load a preset, make any change, and print you've customized the setting and [Custom] sticks for the next Print request.

You could bypass the stickiness with a script(s), which can be assigned a key command. Here's an example AppleScript (OSX only). Replace YOUR PRESET with the name of the preset you want to stick:

set pn to "YOUR PRESET"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

try

set active printer preset of print preferences of active document to object reference of every printer preset whose name is pn

end try

invoke (item 1 of every menu action whose id is 2563)

end tell