5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 7:42 AM by ECBowen

High CPU load / Adobe Premiere Pro

Wh2o

Hi there,

So i know I'm not the first one with this issue, but i haven't found any solutions anywhere...

I’ve been experiencing some frustrating issues with a pretty high CPU load when using Adobe Premiere Pro CC and Adobe Media Encoder CC.

Activity monitor indicates a 120% to 170% when in playback in the timeline and over 700% when rendering/exporting either out of Premiere or through Media Encoder.
      At first wasn't using the GPU acceleration, and then I tried with it enabled but the problem remains the same.

And of course at that level the fans make it feel like the laptop is about to take off to the moon…

I'm pretty sure my timeline and export settings are correct, pretty basic work (dslr 7D footage, a little bit of grading, that’s about it).

My question is, what is a normal percentage for this kind of job on a macbook pro?

And what is causing such a huge CPU load? Is it something to do with the OS, or software compatibility, or just poor settings?

Your advice is most welcome!
      (I can post screenshots if necessary)

Cheers,

Yannick

My machine specs:

rMBP mid-2014 with OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
      2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

• 1. Re: High CPU load / Adobe Premiere Pro
          cc_merchant Level 4

It must be my simple mind, but I understand the following:

• CPU: 0%, meaning the CPU is not used.
          • CPU: 100%, meaning the CPU is fully used.

Can you explain how it is possible to use more than 100% of the CPU?

If you have $ 100 cash in your pocket, how can you pay in cash more than $ 100. That makes no sense to me. I would love to hear how you can pay in cash say $ 700 when you only have $ 100.

• 2. Re: High CPU load / Adobe Premiere Pro
            Wh2o Level 1

Hey cc_merchant,

well ok, since the macbook pro i7 processor has 4 physical cores that have each a "virtual" twin, that makes 8 cores that all go from 0 to 100%.
            Following me? So if the activity monitor indicates 700% (which it does, i swear), that means all the cores are almost used up to 100%.

If i do the math, that's about 87-90% of the total power of my mac put all together.

Hope this helps in understanding.

Cheers

• 3. Re: High CPU load / Adobe Premiere Pro
              cc_merchant Level 4

OK, that is clear. Now, using around 90% of the CPU sounds great to me. I mean, that is the reason to use a 4-core with HT, isn't it. Otherwise, if the CPU were only used for say 25%, a single core CPU would suffice and saved a lot of money. The sound of the fans is design choice by Apple.

Exporting is done by the CPU, so with a 90% load that is a good figure. It would be worrisome it the load were only 25%, because then other components would be slow delivering data to the CPU. That is not the case.

• 4. Re: High CPU load / Adobe Premiere Pro
                Wh2o Level 1

Hi

ok, well yes that totally makes sense, after all rendering is super fast and efficient, it just doesn't "sound" healthy for the computer. Nor "feel" healthy due to a lot of heat. But if it's the "design" i guess there's nothing to do about it.

I just hope that it won't crash when exporting much heavier footage (per example 14 bit raw 5d clips, or 4k... or whatever).

Thanks for your replies by the way.

• 5. Re: High CPU load / Adobe Premiere Pro
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Rendering will always use the extent of the hardware CPU resources available unless limited by any specific hardware components or software components such as codecs or FX. When you have your system pushing 90%+ then that mean the editing application is rendering ideal for that system. However laptops with thin profiles are not really designed for that kind of heat generation over long period of time. Due to the size of the laptop shells themselves they have the cooling efficiency close to the edge of what it needs to be to maintain temps under thermal shutdown so they use CPU C states and throttling to keep the temps from continuing to build up on the CPU package. Those throttling profiles normally engage around 90C or 91C and slot the chips down drawing less power generating less heat. it works but eventually you can thermal burn a mobile chip if you do that for 10+Hours at a time most days of the week. Over time the cooling efficiency of the heatsink and fan drop as well which increases this likelihood. Keep that in mind if you don't have a desktop to render on more than the laptop.

Eric

ADK