7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 12:36 PM by BobLevine

Page Content Missing on Export to PDF

Jack Level 1

My pdf-export converter has been working flawlessly for many weeks, until today, when a specific, single page out of over 100 was persistently not included in the conversion. A blank page was left in its place. I tried everything I could think of: deleting and re-creating the content, and deleting and re-adding the page. Fortunately my editor had an old copy of the document, from which it was possible to copy the page for use in the new version of the document.

My next step will be to uninstall and reinstall inDesign. If that is what you recommend, would you please point me to procedures for saving settings and preferences, all other important settings, etc., so that the reinstallation will be as seamless as possible.

Preferable would be to reinstall the pdf converter, or perhaps one of you will have a better idea how to fix this.

• 1. Re: Page Content Missing on Export to PDF
          smoothsea Level 3

Hi Jack,

I'm not sure what you mean by re-install the pdf converter. What you should be doing to create a pdf from Indesign is choosing File>Export.

However, I too have had occasions where a single page in a multipage document has exported as blank. What I usually do when that happens is to export only that page (it usually exports OK) and then I insert that single page PDF into the rest of the job.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Page Content Missing on Export to PDF
            Jack Level 1

What I meant was to somehow, selectively “refresh” that part of the inDesign installation that had the faulty version of the pdf converter. But what I hear from you is that it is  not unique occurrence, and I probably could not selectively reinstall inDesign anyway.

What you mean, then, is that you submit two PDFs, one containing a blank page and another with that page only, is that it? OK, I just tried that and it works fine. The blank page must be some glitch, I suppose. I might also try padding the document with some blank pages at the end, and print only the range that I need, to see what might be the result.

And do you find this a random occurrence, i.e., the page may or may not be blank, or (a) different page(s) might become blank, over several instances of PDF export? I just have had, I think, three consecutive instances of that happening to the same page. Luckily it was only an image with caption, which my printer could grab from an earlier, identical page. I guess that’s another way to handle it, provided an earlier, correct version exists. But if the document is more complex, that option might not work at all. Your way will have to be the way to go.

Thanks,

jwc

• 3. Re: Page Content Missing on Export to PDF
              smoothsea Level 3

Hi Jack,

No, I wouldn't submit two PDFs - I'd use Acrobat to replace the blank page in the main PDF with the single page PDF that I made. Yes I does seem to be a random occurrence - I've never been able to pin it down to a particular element on the page or anything like that.

Just to confirm though - you are using File>Export to generate your PDFs?

Regards,

Malcolm

• 4. Re: Page Content Missing on Export to PDF
                Jack Level 1

Well, I have always resisted getting acrobat, big pretty much satisfied by the Reader. Might have to rethink that. Or wait until I need it again.

[personal info deleted by moderator]

• 5. Re: Page Content Missing on Export to PDF
                  smoothsea Level 3

Fair enough mate - make sure you remove your personal information when replying by email. You don't want your number splashed all over the internet. I don't know how to do it though - might have to be done by a moderator.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 6. Re: Page Content Missing on Export to PDF
                    Jack Level 1

OK, thanks for the head- up

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Page Content Missing on Export to PDF
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I deleted the phone number in your other post.