2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 3:49 AM by dj_paige

Smart collections and multiple hard drives

maverickvergara

I use Lightroom for most of my processing and set up smart collections for different models I work with. I ran out of space on my external hard drive and now I have a new external hard drive. Is there a way to keep those smart collections without dumping all the stuff on my old hard drive to my new one?

• 1. Re: Smart collections and multiple hard drives
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi maverickvergara

Simply copy your Catalog from External harddrive to new drive or any other location.

There is no way to only export your smart collections out of a catalog.

However you could only export smart collections settings (not the Photos it contains). Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Work with photo collections

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: Smart collections and multiple hard drives
            dj_paige Level 9

Sorry Akash, but copying a catalog file doesn't address the problem. There is no need for moving anything and there is no need for exporting anything. The original poster stated:

I ran out of space on my external hard drive and now I have a new external hard drive. Is there a way to keep those smart collections without dumping all the stuff on my old hard drive to my new one?

As long as you are using the same catalog file, there is no need to do anything to your catalog. If you simply leave your catalog where it is and continue using it, your smart collections will remain intact. You want to leave all of your existing photos on the old hard drive and then simply direct Lightroom to put new imports onto the new external HD. No need to move anything. Problem solved.