6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2006 3:43 AM by duckets

web uploading problem

VizFX76 Level 1
      Hi
      I have a 3D walkthrough web application which needs constant updates so the best choice for me is to import the w3d file with “link to external file” option. The source file is pretty simple: first frame is left free, frame 2 has a “hold on current frame” behavior and the w3d world with all the necessary behaviors. The web file works fine on local computers but when is uploaded on the net I have problems – it starts with 3d content loader but after that it doesn`t run. If I import the w3d file with “standard import” option then it works well on the net too, but this isn`t a good option for me since even this file needs constant updates. The size of the file is a bit bigger, for the moment is 1,2mb and it might increase over time (it is already heavily optimized).
      Another question is how I can preload the entire scene (models, textures, etc.) before it opens.
      Best regards.
      Mihai.
        • 2. Re: web uploading problem
          duckets Level 1
          It may also be worth checking that your server is set up with the correct mime types for w3d files. Often hosts will have 'dcr' set up, but not the other formats which shockwave uses such as cct, w3d, etc. Here's the full list:

application/x-director dir
          application/x-director dcr
          application/x-director dxr
          application/x-director cst
          application/x-director cct
          application/x-director cxt
          application/x-director w3d
          application/x-director fgd

- Ben
          • 3. Re: web uploading problem
            VizFX76 Level 1
            Hi
            Many thanks for all the advices.
            The main problem with loading external w3d file was the server setting.
            At this moment the only inconvenient is that all the models are loading progressively and the user can see this so I have to make some type of loader.
            From my knowledge it is a wise choice to begin with the second frame from the movie but my movie starts the w3d world only if I`m using it from the first frame even that I`ve used “Hold while streaming w3d” from the free version of Chrome Library (extremely pleased with the behaviors from it).
            Now regarding loading external texture files (because they have to be constant automatically updated) they work fine inside dir file and projector but on the html version the objects are without textures.
            First time I`ve made the test for external textures with a very small w3d file (just 3 walls) and it worked with the html file but just offline.
            All these problems are solved if I`m using a projector (exe) but the size is bigger and the final product must be an online html file.
            For walkthrough collision I`m using “modelsUnderRay” script.
            My Lingo knowledge is pretty scarce but I`m trying to solve this problem soon.
            Best regards.
            Mihai
            • 4. Re: web uploading problem
              VizFX76 Level 1
              Hi
              Finally I`ve found an answer for my issue. When using DCR files, the Shockwave engine has a protection so it only can use external files which are in a folder called “DswMedia” (or subfolders of this one) and can be online or offline. This can be bypassed with some xtras. The rest is solved by preload behaviors which are included in the package plus a special W3D preloader which can be found in the free version of Chrome Library.
              Many thanks for Karl Sigiscar for giving us a free version of this wonderful tool.
              Best regards.
              Mihai
              • 5. Re: web uploading problem
                VizFX76 Level 1
                Hi
                Finally I`ve found an answer for my issue. When using DCR files, the Shockwave engine has a protection so it only can use external files which are in a folder called “DswMedia” (or subfolders of this one) and can be online or offline. This can be bypassed with some xtras. The rest is solved by preload behaviors which are included in the package plus a special W3D preloader which can be found in the free version of Chrome Library.
                Many thanks for Karl Sigiscar for giving us a free version of this wonderful tool.
                Best regards. :)
                Mihai
                • 6. Re: web uploading problem
                  duckets Level 1
                  Just for the record, the 'dswmedia' folder is only relevant to shockwave movies which are playing locally. If a shockwave movie is playing from a regular web page (i.e. the url starts with http://, rather than file://, it does not require a dswmedia folder in order to be able to load external files.

When playing a shockwave file locally, the movie operates under certain security restrictions (for example, "the moviepath" will not return a result, as well as no external files can be accessed). This is to prevent maliciously authored shockwave files. The 'dswmedia' folder bypasses these security restrictions, on the assumption that if someone places a shockwave movie within a folder of this name, they know what they are doing, and are doing it on purpose!

- Ben